My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

Honestly they both have the snorkeling right up by the beach and easily done. At Coki, you can go to the left or the right to snorkel. At Sapphire, you pretty much go to the right and to the left is more sea grass but you will often see turtles in that area. See...there's good things about sea grass=other sea life as well. :p

Just a note on SXM and Antigua -

On SXM we loved our 1/2 day on the Golden Eagle cat so much that we returned for a week and took their Friday Farewell sail. Excellent crew and beautiful cat, decent snorkeling.

sailingsxm.com

On Antigua the Excellent is another favirite cat sail, snorkel at Green Island with turtles. This is the See Antigua by Sea excursion offered through the ship.

For off the beach snorkeling STT is excellent, there's another great link on the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor from a group Who stayed in Cowpet Bay and snorkeled several beaches if you want to search for that. Otherwise as Mitsugirly said Coki and Sapphire are excellent, Coki can be much more crowded. We just returned from a week at Saophire and the water was very clear and calm.

Edited by blue_water

OMG, you guys are killing me with the choices. Someone just needs to tell me what to do. ;)

Okay, so for St. Maartan, we were going to do one of those speed boat tours with Captain Bob or Mike (although I don't think those are technical speed boats). My son thought it was cool that they went fast so I just said okay. But we have NEVER been on a sail boat or catamaran sail. So now you have me rethinking that one too.

Ya'll are killin me. :cool:

P.S. Plus I don't think those little speedboats have a toilet. Last time at the stingray bar, I just told him to pee in the ocean and he couldn't, rofl. Poor little guy made a beeline when we got back to the boat.

OMG, you guys are killing me with the choices. Someone just needs to tell me what to do. ;)

Okay, so for St. Maartan, we were going to do one of those speed boat tours with Captain Bob or Mike (although I don't think those are technical speed boats). My son thought it was cool that they went fast so I just said okay. But we have NEVER been on a sail boat or catamaran sail. So now you have me rethinking that one too.

P.S. Plus I don't think those little speedboats have a toilet. Last time at the stingray bar, I just told him to pee in the ocean and he couldn't, rofl. Poor little guy made a beeline when we got back to the boat.

I don't know about the particular vendor you are talking about using, but I can tell you that I have never been on a sail boat or any tourism type excursion boat that there wasn't a bathroom on it. :confused: That's almost a necessity when people are giving tours. It's usually located down a few steps and under where the person that steers the boat is. I can see how you wouldn't really notice it if you weren't looking for it. You might want to ask next time. They should have one. :)

You are looking for ideas so there you go!

Whatever option you choose on SXM I'd recommend a day on the water on SXM over the popular beaches because you'll see nicer beaches on this excursion and be away from the crowds. The Golden Eagle is just a great day with a snorkel stop and a great lunch. They may also hit Tintemarre Island so be sure to try the exfoliating mud there. And yes there are heads on these cats.

The smaller boats like Capt Bobs generally don't have heads (although some have a small head under the helm). You're out from 10 - 4 but have a stop on Pinel and they may have a restroom, can't remember. But you will also hit Tintemarre on his excursion.

If you want a nice, private island tour on Antigua with a beach stop look at Lawrence of Antigua. Excellent guide with nice vehicles and a gorgeous island to see by land or by sea. Would highly recommend a private tour if you can swing it.

Thanks! Good to know about taking a boat. I think I have decided we will do the cat or one of the sails. My son does have a GI problem he is on meds for and when he has to go...he has to go, lol. I did see that Robinson and Bob does not have toilets. It's not that big of a deal but enough to push me over the edge. Plus, I have never been on any kind of sail boat ever. I think I will see if they have any availability left.

I think St. T I will just do the beach, especially after looking at Mitsugirlies pics. I am just not for sure which one yet.

BTW, do you know if that Cat tour goes near Maho at all? It would be cool to see the planes. But I've no desire to be up close and personal on the sand. I'd like to watch from the water.

Thanks! Good to know about taking a boat. I think I have decided we will do the cat or one of the sails. My son does have a GI problem he is on meds for and when he has to go...he has to go, lol. I did see that Robinson and Bob does not have toilets. It's not that big of a deal but enough to push me over the edge. Plus, I have never been on any kind of sail boat ever. I think I will see if they have any availability left.

I think St. T I will just do the beach, especially after looking at Mitsugirlies pics. I am just not for sure which one yet.

BTW, do you know if that Cat tour goes near Maho at all? It would be cool to see the planes. But I've no desire to be up close and personal on the sand. I'd like to watch from the water.

The 1/2 day GoldennEagle snorkel tour probably won't hit Maho, although they offer a couple of new tours, one of which does, so you can just email them with questions. Here are the most recent reviews. Again the snorkeling is usually just average and Creole Rock is the highlight. But what a great day on the water and on Tintemarre Island.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147347-d1211485-Reviews-Golden_Eagle_Tour-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Actually looking at the pictures again, the first pictures of Sapphire are the 2 pictures with the boats lined up on the beach. Those 2 pictures show just how much of a reef there is everywhere. It seemed to be like this up and down the beach where we walked. Trust me, you won't go wrong probably no matter where you snorkel there.

Also, even though some of the reefs really go far out there, you're still only about 5 feet above the water in most places, some even less. So you can be way out there, but it's really not too deep and feels safe. The water wasn't too bad either (meaning pretty calm I thought and easy to snorkel in). :)

Were there any chairs and umbrellas to rent at Sapphire Beach or Coke beach?

Both Coki and sapphire have chair rentals. Sapphire has abundant natural shade, chairs are $9. There is a flat walkway from where you are dropped at Sapphire to the dive center right on the beach. Coki is alsowalkable although you'll be walking a little more in the sand.

First I enjoyed your review, but when I clicked on the area you had, it said "pictures not found." I sure would have loved to have seen the pictures too.

A question or two.

Is Sapphire beach a FREE beach, or what do you pay to enter it? If you took a Taxi, what was the cost pp each way?

Is Paradise Point (sounds so pretty) part of Sapphire beach, or did you take another Taxi to this area, and is is a beach or what?

All beaches are free except Magens and Smith Bay.

Taxi is $10 - $12 depending on port.

Paradise Point is a popular spot to have drinks and admire the view of the harbor and ships docked at Havensight (West Indies dock). They havethe famous Bailey's Bushwacker as well as other things to see including the BirdLady's show.

if docked there the aerial tram is a short walk from the ships. So a popular itinerary is a beach followed by a shower (or not) and then PP. You can buy tram passes at your excursions desk for a little less ($18pp round trip maybe?), and you can also taxi up and tram back down. If docked at Crown Bay you'll have to taxi back to the ship from PP. But a nice place to relax with a cocktail and music and a view before heading back to the ship!

We're you able to rent chairs at Sapphire Beach? Sounds like it was beautiful there.

Lounges are $9 each for the day, if you get there later you may be able to use chairs that folks are leaving. Many folks are happy to help when they're leaving early.

All beaches are free except Magens and Smith Bay.

Taxi is $10 - $12 depending on port.

Paradise Point is a popular spot to have drinks and admire the view of the harbor and ships docked at Havensight (West Indies dock). They havethe famous Bailey's Bushwacker as well as other things to see including the BirdLady's show.

if docked there the aerial tram is a short walk from the ships. So a popular itinerary is a beach followed by a shower (or not) and then PP. You can buy tram passes at your excursions desk for a little less ($18pp round trip maybe?), and you can also taxi up and tram back down. If docked at Crown Bay you'll have to taxi back to the ship from PP. But a nice place to relax with a cocktail and music and a view before heading back to the ship!

If we taxi to PP from Sapphire, is the cost less for just a one way ride on the tram? TIA

Oh my, there are so many postings, and I don't have time to read them, but hopefully someone will be able to answer these questions.

We will be docking in Heavensight in St. Thomas. The good part, it is less then 2 months before we will be there.

OK, to get to Paradise Point, we can either take the tram, once we get off the ship or a Taxi, is that correct? Guess I'll check on either of their prices, unless someone on here has been there lately by tram or Taxi, and can tell me the prices?

It was mentioned, if I'm correct, there is Bailey's Bushwacker, and Birdlady show. I gather these are at the top (I assume Paradise Point is at the top of the mountain???) to see. Do they charge, or is that part of the ticket price to PP?

Do you take the tram or Taxi to Sapphire Beach? I gather that PP is AT Sapphire Beach, right?

I'm trying to make notes for myself before we get there.

Oh my, there are so many postings, and I don't have time to read them, but hopefully someone will be able to answer these questions.

We will be docking in Heavensight in St. Thomas. The good part, it is less then 2 months before we will be there.

OK, to get to Paradise Point, we can either take the tram, once we get off the ship or a Taxi, is that correct? Guess I'll check on either of their prices, unless someone on here has been there lately by tram or Taxi, and can tell me the prices?

It was mentioned, if I'm correct, there is Bailey's Bushwacker, and Birdlady show. I gather these are at the top (I assume Paradise Point is at the top of the mountain???) to see. Do they charge, or is that part of the ticket price to PP?

Do you take the tram or Taxi to Sapphire Beach? I gather that PP is AT Sapphire Beach, right?

I'm trying to make notes for myself before we get there.

When you dock, the tram station is basically out the port gates and across the street maybe 1 block. Super easy to walk to.

One thing I wanted to mention is that (at least when we went last) Paradise wasn't open too early in the morning (and we would have had to sit around for it to open) so we decided we didn't want to waste valuable time and headed to Sapphire first. Then we just hit Paradise on the way back.

Also, (not sure about all the cruiselines) but when we were on NCL, we purchased out ticket with them and they had a gaurantee with their ticket that if you didn't use the ticket that day, they would take them back and give you your money back. That made it a win-win situation. :D

You take the taxi to Sapphire. It is not located anywhere near Paradise.