FLL rental car options

skittl1321

I am trying to figure out how to handle the rental car in FLL- the biggest issue is drop off before the cruise.

In San Diego, we used a rental company that picked us up with a shuttle at the hotel (pretty standard) to get to the company. Then, when we dropped off, DH dropped me and the luggage off at the port, went and returned the car, and then jogged back to the port. (After the cruise, we decided it was close enough, and the taxi line long enough that we both just walked to the rental car office.)

Is this sort of scenario possible in FLL? Is the area of the port safe enough that you would feel comfortable walking/jogging alone? Is there a rental car company within 2 miles?

How do other people handle this? Do most people drop their car off and then take a taxi from the rental company? Or do ones in FLL offer shuttle to port too (we couldn't find that in SD).

Thanks so much. I'm totally lost!

(I think we only need to do this pre-cruise. We plan to fly out debarkation day, so I think we'll just do the overpriced carnival bus to the airport for convienence. I get so scared taxi's will be too hard to get due to multiple ships in port.)

No, you're not going to be able to jog from the Airport/Rental Car return to the Port. Google Port Everglades and you'll see a map. Not only is Port Everglades a Cruise Ship port, they also handle Cargo. It's industrial and security is such that they're not going to appreciate a dude jogging to a cruise ship.

There is a rental car shuttle between Port Everglades and the Car Rental Pavillion at FLL. So you can be let off with the bags, while he returns the car and shuttles back. It should take about 30 minutes, accounting for the usual rental car return stuff.

If your agency doesn't participate in the shuttle service, a cab will be about $10.

Alright- taxi it is.

Most everyone we talked to in San Diego thought we were insane, but the area was fine and it wasn't too far a walk- even with our bags on the way back.

But at a cargo port the plan clearly doesn't work. Glad to hear most everything is centralized, so at least it won't be expensive.

I'm going to have to disagree with RB. If you rent from Advantage Car Rental they're facility is on NE 7th Ave about 1/4 to 1/2 mile south of Eller Drive (main port entrance). You could hop on the shuttle returning to the airport and jump off at Eller Drive. As long as you have ID the gate guards are going to let you in whether you're in a car or on foot.

Google "map of port everglades" zoom in a click or two then scroll to the south and you will see the Advantage on NE 7th east of US 1 (Federal Highway).

I'm going to have to disagree with RB. If you rent from Advantage Car Rental they're facility is on NE 7th Ave about 1/4 to 1/2 mile south of Eller Drive (main port entrance). You could hop on the shuttle returning to the airport and jump off at Eller Drive. As long as you have ID the gate guards are going to let you in whether you're in a car or on foot.

Google "map of port everglades" zoom in a click or two then scroll to the south and you will see the Advantage on NE 7th east of US 1 (Federal Highway).

skittl1321, It's about 1.5 miles from the actual port to advantage. Here is a link to show you the distance.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Eller+Dr&daddr=2150+NE+7th+Ave,+Dania,+FL+33004-2511+(Advantage+Rent-A-Car)&hl=en&geocode=FbcPjgEdLIk5-w%3BFV_mjQEdXk85-yFgCE1Ft9ZomSkVKxXonKrZiDHj7tpJdtj6yg&gl=us&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=26.085097,-80.125158&sspn=0.010677,0.022638&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

He can knock a 1/2 mile off that by riding the return shuttle to the airport and getting off at Eller Drive.

It's pretty simple actually...Rent from Advantage, drop the luggage off, check the route out for walking and return the car. If he doesn't like the walking route then he can catch a taxi.

And don't do Carnival's transfers on debarkation day. A taxi to the airport is only about $12.

There's also a Dollar/Thrifty location on Miami Rd which at the entrance to the port and they have free shuttle service to the ship. Have done this several times with no problem.

The problem with that location is they have no shuttle from the airport. You can rent from the airport Thrifty location and drop the car off at the Miami Road location, but you will pay airport fees and taxes on the rental if you do that. If you want to rent from Thrifty it's usually cheaper overall to pay a $12 taxi fare from the airport to the Miami Road Thrifty rental location and pick up a car there.

I still find it less expensive overall to rent from Advantage, though.

I am arriving at Ft Lauderdale on a cruise ship (Princess) and leaving a week later on another (RCCI). Reading this thread I think that the best option for me is to rent a car from FLL airport and get a cab from the Princess terminal to the airport rental car pavillion, and reverse the process in the opposite direction (possibly dropping wife and bags at the RCCI pier first). I suspect that time will be more precious than the $12 cab ride v. waiting for a free shuttle.

Any comments appreciated.

I've rented a car from National from Orlando to FLL for our pre-cruise on the Allure. I plan on leaving Orlando about 6-6:15AM, I figure about a 4 hour drive. Would you a) drop the bags then return the car and take the shuttle or taxi back to the boat, or b) return the car and take the bags and us to the port via shuttle/taxi? It appears I would have to go through a security gate to drop the bags. Are the lines long or is it a relative breeze? We've done this before in Miami and it worked well, no bags to haul and our bags got to the cabin very early. Of course no security to go through in Miami.

I've rented a car from National from Orlando to FLL for our pre-cruise on the Allure. I plan on leaving Orlando about 6-6:15AM, I figure about a 4 hour drive. Would you a) drop the bags then return the car and take the shuttle or taxi back to the boat, or b) return the car and take the bags and us to the port via shuttle/taxi? It appears I would have to go through a security gate to drop the bags. Are the lines long or is it a relative breeze? We've done this before in Miami and it worked well, no bags to haul and our bags got to the cabin very early. Of course no security to go through in Miami.

I would drop car off and then take the shuttle to port. The lines entering the port get quite looong and you will be wasting your time making two trips to the port.

Archived