Regatta sailing Vancouver to Anchorage 7/11/10

newbie60

For starters, 7-11-10 has passed by; so are you going in 2011 or later?

There is a wealth of information re shipboard life on Oceania on the various threads of this forum.

Shore excursions may be another matter - as Oceania is not up there this year, it is difficult to see what they might be offering when they do get up there. There should be an abundance of information in the forums on destinations.

It is much easier to answer specific questions than ones as broad-based as yours.

Good luck, and come back with your questions.

I'm pretty sure Regatta doesn't do Alaska until next summer ... which is when we are booked!

I agree with Druke that you should join the Roll Call for this cruise which will be more helpful to you when tour options are announced.

We are first time cruisers and would appreciate any advice about on board life, shore excursions, etc. We are retirees, but young enough to enjoy an advanture.

On our first cruise we made the mistake of taking the cruiselines' air package and arriving on the actual day of embarkation--never again. It's always a nail biter and if your luggage goes astray it may take days for it to catch up with you. We've know passengers who did not see their luggage until the cruise ended.

Now when we cruise we always book our own air and arrive at least two days in advance to enjoy our first port city. Again avoid the cruiseline's offer of a pre-cruise hotel package as they usually cost significantly more than you would spend if you did your own planning. Downtown Vancouver is wonderful and very walkable. There is also a wonderful transit system that includes buses, a sky train and ferries. Also note there are two cruise piers in Vancouver (Canada Place and Ballantyne) so check with Oceania as to which they will be using. You can find lots of information online about Vancouver and what it has to offer.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm obviously not used to message boards any more than I am crusing. Yes, it is the 7/11/11 cruise from Vancouver and you've already helped me. We will definitely want to fly in the day before departure even though it appears that one could arrive in time flying the day of.

More specific questions -- Does one always use the shore excursions offered by the cruise line or is it better to seek out independant options?

And what about internet service on board? The website talks about wifi but doesn't mention cost?

Thanks.

More specific questions -- Does one always use the shore excursions offered by the cruise line or is it better to seek out independant options?

And what about internet service on board? The website talks about wifi but doesn't mention cost?

Thanks.

If you are taking the included air from Oceania ask your TA about doing a deviation( arriving earlier than the cruise day & staying later than disembarkation)

You pay $100. pp & fly on other days

Internet is pricey at 95 cents a minute or they have packages ..you can also use the email address they give you and send /receive emails for a set price of $2.

If you use the search feature (top right) on the main Oceania forum there will be more explanations on INTERNET

You can also try to find internet cafes on shore

shorex ...we do both depending on the ports

I would look for independent tours then see if you can find other to share the tour on your Roll Call

Some ports you may be better to do the ship's tour

It is all a personal choice

enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Archived