Passport book vs passport card

Tweetydee

I've done searches,and haven't found an answer to my question.

It's been a long time since we've been able to cruise, about 8 years. We are getting passports. After so long of a wait, don't want anything to spoil it. :D But, after checking the government site, I see that they have both passport books and passport cards. Both require the same id to obtain, but the card is more like a drivers license. It says it is for entry into the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by land or sea port. The "book" is $135.00 the "card" $55.00. After so long a wait, will spend the extra $80.00, but was wondering if the card would work just as well.

It's been a long time since we've been able to cruise, about 8 years. We are getting passports. After so long of a wait, don't want anything to spoil it. :D But, after checking the government site, I see that they have both passport books and passport cards. Both require the same id to obtain, but the card is more like a drivers license. It says it is for entry into the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by land or sea port. The "book" is $135.00 the "card" $55.00. After so long a wait, will spend the extra $80.00, but was wondering if the card would work just as well.

Well, you know what the card works for. But what if you decide to take Med cruise or even fly to another country? Then, you'd need to get the book and your card would be worthless.

The card will work fine UNLESS you find yourself having to fly.

The card is not valid for flying across the border.

Can't fly to Vancouver BC for a cruise. Can't fly to Cancun for an AI. Can't fly home from Montego Bay for a family emergency (OK, you could, but could not just walk up to ticket counter and buy ticket)

Well, you know what the card works for. But what if you decide to take Med cruise or even fly to another country? Then, you'd need to get the book and your card would be worthless.

Exactly, the card is only good for cruising and driving to another country. You must have the passport book to fly in or out of the USA.

I was told it is exactly as you stated, the card is limited to the above, the book is good everywhere that USA passports are accepted. I got the book. Bill

You never know where future travels could take you. Many within 10 years your child wants to become an international exchange student, and you would like to visit, etc? I would just do the traditional passport, bite the bullet and not worry.

For anyone who lives near or crosses into Canada or Mexico regularly, the passport cards are a great thing. We have them (in addition to our passport books, of course) because our DD lives in Seattle and we usually drive up to BC when we visit. The cards are really convenient for that and any other "need good government ID, but not a passport book" situations. We even use them for air travel within the US.

beachchick

The card will work fine UNLESS you find yourself having to fly.

The card is not valid for flying across the border.

Can't fly to Vancouver BC for a cruise. Can't fly to Cancun for an AI. Can't fly home from Montego Bay for a family emergency (OK, you could, but could not just walk up to ticket counter and buy ticket)

Thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing since my passport expires next year. We don't plan to cruise across the ocean, but will be flying into Canada.

I have both. I use my passport card as the only form of ID I carry with me instead of my state issued ID; I no longer drive so I don't have a driver's license. When it comes time to pack for a cruise I just get my passport book out of it's hiding place (where my certified birth certificate is hiding as well) and put it in my carry-on.

The real reason you need a Passport book is to have the pages in the back for visa stamps and sometimes they will fine you for not having enough pages. I think Vietnam is one.

What??

The difference between the book and card were already well explained. You don't get a book just to have "visa" pages.

Archived