Lusitanica's EPIC REVIEW with pics, videos, comments, etc.

lusitanica

On the topic of atriums.

FACT: EPIC has an atrium

FACT: nost modern ships have an atrium

OPINION: "soaring" people's perception will differ.

OPINION: mine: atriums bear no concequences to me. I do not book a cruise to hang out in a "soaring" atrium. Who cares how tall it is?

HEARSAY: atriums are going by the wayside as a waste of valuable space.

OPINION: good riddance.

~Intrepid <-- would rather enjoy the view from his balcony than down into some silly atrium

Actually some atrium's are wonderful focal points on a ship. On the Golden Princess they have a wonderful coffee bar that actually produces revenue for the ship. In addition there is a piano area as well so it also serves as an entertainment resource as well.

Elimiation of an atrium wouldn't increase the number of balcony's - unless you're on the Oasis of the Seas with Central Park.

Most of the atriums that I have experienced also have elevators so in addition to revenue production it also serves as a means of traffic flow - something that the Epic lacks; in my opinion.

Mr. Luckytoo <-----prefers classy ship rather than public housing

Can anyone show me a reliable reference that shows "soaring" as an adjective? Soaring is a verb. If the Epic's atrium is actually soaring, then it will be flying around above the ship. This will definitely make this the most amazing boat I've ever been on!!! Can't wait! :eek:

Here ya go

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/soaring

This is the atrium on the Vision OTS

IMG_1623-vi.jpg

Looks like a shopping mall.

Is this supposed to be impressive?

Very impressive since the Vision of the Seas is half the displacement of the Epic and is in the second oldest class of ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet, while the Epic is NCL's newest. (Vision of the Seas 78,491 tons, Epic 155,873 tons)

The Epic also has escalators, and the only other place I have ever seen them is in "shopping malls".

I have been following this thread with great interest. I would like to cruise with NCL again, and there is a group cruise on the Epic that I was was seriously considering. I questioned the wisdom of the cabin design even before the Epic did it's first cruise, and after reading all the reviews I think an NCL ship other than the Epic would be a better match. Ship design and smoking are two deal killers with me, while entertainment and food are not as critical - too each his own.

I would thank Lusitanica for his review, photos and video clips. I found them very informative and interesting.

"The Epic also has escalators, and the only other place I have ever seen them is in shopping malls".

As does (or had them at one time)...

SAPPHIRE PRINCESS

DIAMOND PRINCESS

CELEBRITY CENTURY

CELEBRITY GALAXY

CELEBRITY MERCURY

MAASDAM

STATENDAM

VEENDAM

RYNDAM

Can anyone show me a reliable reference that shows "soaring" as an adjective? Soaring is a verb. If the Epic's atrium is actually soaring, then it will be flying around above the ship. This will definitely make this the most amazing boat I've ever been on!!! Can't wait! :eek:

At last the mystery of the “flying saucer” has been solved by Flying Solo and sdmike. All those unknown objects in the sky have only been the soaring spires of cathedrals.

Looks like a shopping mall.

Is this supposed to be impressive?

I guess not if you don't like shopping malls. :) It was, actually, visually impressive. I think there's a lot of wasted space there that I'd rather see used for other things, but i certainly could not argue against how it looks.

I think the RCI Sovereign class pioneered the open atrium concept, based on what I've read. That goes way back.

I guess not if you don't like shopping malls. :) It was, actually, visually impressive. I think there's a lot of wasted space there that I'd rather see used for other things, but i certainly could not argue against how it looks.

I think the RCI Sovereign class pioneered the open atrium concept, based on what I've read. That goes way back.

You're right Mike.... I don't like malls, maybe that's the problem? :eek:

The Toronto Eaton Centre http://www.torontoeatoncentre.com/EN/centreinfo/Pages/default.aspx has a glass roof and 'soaring' :rolleyes: atrium and it just looks tacky, to me.

The NCL Sky had an atrium as did the Sapphire Princess, but I was not impressed by either.

When you stay at hotels, it's usually the less-expensive brands (Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn, etc.) which have atriums.

The Ritz Carleton certainly doesn't, nor does the Peninsula, nor the Waldorf, nor the Pierre.

Grand lobbys, to be sure...but not soaring atria.

I looked in Websters and didn't see "soaring" listed as an adjective.Darn it. I was looking forward to spending my week touring an atrium that was floating above the ship. Now I'll have to go back to spending my vacation finding secret decks and water skiing behind the ship. I hope I don't run into those killer penguins!

I looked in Websters and didn't see "soaring" listed as an adjective.Darn it. I was looking forward to spending my week touring an atrium that was floating above the ship. Now I'll have to go back to spending my vacation finding secret decks and water skiing behind the ship. I hope I don't run into those killer penguins!

I don't care what anyone says Lusitanica, you have spent a lot of hours on your review as well as finding many, many cruisers staterooms. I cannot believe your talent with the computer. I sure hope your position of employment involves something to do with your superior talent. I have only taken one cruise (NCL Sky), but if I ever go on another I am going to search you out and ask for your advise. Do you work for a cruise line or just obsessed by them? I hope people appreciate your talent and the time you spend giving cruise critic members your info.:)

Thank you!

The bed is by the entrance (toilet, shower).

11108h.jpg

Thank you so much Lusitanica ! ! ! ! Your opinion on this location please :o Also, the deck plans look like the balcony is larger :confused: Appreciate ALL of your help and wisdom ;)

Happy Cruising........

DonnaF :D

Thank you so much Lusitanica ! ! ! ! Your opinion on this location please :o Also, the deck plans look like the balcony is larger :confused: Appreciate ALL of your help and wisdom ;)

Happy Cruising........

I would try 10180/10179, 11172/11169, 12168/12165, 13130/13145, 14088/14107. Probably the best cabin from what Epic can offer is 14118 (I don't count cabins for handicapped). Of course, posh superstructure is out of scope.

I would try 10180/10179, 11172/11169, 12168/12165, 13130/13145, 14088/14107. Probably the best cabin from what Epic can offer is 14118 (I don't count cabins for handicapped). Of course, posh superstructure is out of scope.

I've looked on "cruisestaterooms.com" at the cabins you've listed, and can see the extended, angled balconies on some of those you like, but I see nothing that stands out about 14118. Is it just the location and the fact that it has only one neighbor? The cabin size nor deck size appear to have any distinction. I'm sorry if you've already covered such an explanation. I'm not sure I have it in me to read all 28 pages on this thread!

Thanks!

So I am assuming not a great location this cabin 11108 =(

What are the negatives :confused:

I think 11108 is a great location. It's just mid-ship side of the forward elevators/stairs, and it has a slightly larger balcony than most rooms. Because it's mid-ship you will get less movement than if you were at either end, and because you're a few doors away from the elevator bank you will have easy access to the other decks.

No worries!

I've looked on "cruisestaterooms.com" at the cabins you've listed, and can see the extended, angled balconies on some of those you like, but I see nothing that stands out about 14118. Is it just the location and the fact that it has only one neighbor? The cabin size nor deck size appear to have any distinction. I'm sorry if you've already covered such an explanation. I'm not sure I have it in me to read all 28 pages on this thread!

Thanks!

Probably since nobody will ever be walking by your door and making any noise. The downside (although minimal) is that rooms either all the way fore or aft on the ship will experience more movement due to them being at the far end of the fulcrum. Also, there have been lots of reports of cavitation/vibration from the aft side thrusters and main screws when the ship is making hard turns, like when docking at 6am. Some like the wakeup call, while others would prefer to sleep a while longer.

I actually loved our cabins.. 14022 - 14026..because we were close to the stairs/elevators, had great access to the fun on deck 15, and (most importantly to us) had an extended overhang over our balcony. It was hotter than all heck when we sailed and having that shade on the balcony, and protection from the storms we had, made the balcony much more usable for us.

My two cents.

I think 11108 is a great location. It's just mid-ship side of the forward elevators/stairs, and it has a slightly larger balcony than most rooms. Because it's mid-ship you will get less movement than if you were at either end, and because you're a few doors away from the elevator bank you will have easy access to the other decks.

No worries!

Thank you ! I was wondering about the balcony size :confused: - do u think it is large enough for a lounger ??? That would be very nice :o

Happy Cruising......

Thanks!

The BIG plus is the Huge Balcony http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/521/medium/Epic_Sept_25_2010_055_117_1.JPG

Thanks!

14118 has extended balcony.

Please see several photos of 14118 in this Review page 1.

Archived