Docking in Capri

Meena

Looking at future cruises with Celebrity, I've noticed they list Naples/Capri and I'm figuring they dock in Capri, which doesn't seem feasible to me. Last week we were on a Med cruise where they docked Naples/Salerno. Does anyone know if they are now going to dock in Capri. I think passengers would have to be tendered in. Thanks.

Well, I did once see a cruise ship anchored off Capri, but that was years ago. My guess is that they will be docking in Naples itself. They probably just mention Capri to make it sound more attractive.

Agree that it's just hype/marketing to make this port stop seem more interesting and attractive. Naples doesn't have a great image. Crowded, large city with some safety worries in certain areas. If they tendered in the Capri area, there would be people disappointed who wanted to see Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, etc. Below is what the Capri main harbor looks like. Tender and smaller boats can dock there, but not larger cruise ships. It's a lovely and wonderful island. Lots of great options in this charming and historic area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

CapriHarborMountains.jpg

Our eastern med cruise in June on the Equinox docked in Naples, but lists Capri as an option. It requires a ferry ride both ways (50 minutes to an hour each way depending on the seas) a funicular from the marina up to Capritown and a bus if you want to go to Anacapri, the part of the island we most enjoyed. It was pretty hectic, and I wouldn't bother unless you have a full day to spend. Don't try to combine Capri with anything else, you'll spend the whole time en route.

I've been to Capri twice, and each time we docked in Naples. Here are a couple of blog entries about going from Naples to Capri: this one, of an unsuccessful attempt, and this later one, our most recent visit.

The key to a successful visit is to do the research first, especially into the ferry times & locations. Also, buy the return ticket as soon as you land at Marina Grande!

. It was pretty hectic, and I wouldn't bother unless you have a full day to spend. Don't try to combine Capri with anything else, you'll spend the whole time en route.[/quote]

I will be in Sorrento in October and I am hoping to see Capri. The ship leaves at 4:00. Do you think that would give me enough time or is that going to be too hectic?

i would book a ship tour but it is not offered the day I can go.

Thank you for your thoughts

We are on the Celebrity Equinox Oct 18-31. We are stopping in Naples but the ferries from Naples to Capri dock right next to our ship. Many people just walk off the ship and get on the ferry. We have booked a privae tour from Naples to Sorrento and then the ferry to Capri and then the ferry back to the ship. We are in port about 12 hours so we do not expect any problems.

Archived