HAL On Line Registration.....

sail7seas

just printed our docs and know this has probably been addressed, but short of back searching the boards; what is the best way to use the paper luggage tags? they seem very susceptible to weather elements. any suggestions?

Many suggestions have been posted including: 1-Laminate them, hole punch, and use cable ties or (easier) 2-Fold them into shape and cover them with CLEAR packing or (duct) tape, hole punch, cable ties. Just don't put them on too early:).

Again ... typing while Randy posted ...

I will wait till I get to the check in. which I assume I can do...

I would much prefer that over paying and way more than a bunch of computer crap....

I dont put any personal docs in line nor do any on line business either in person or hard line phone. I also refuse to do anything wireless:D

From HAL's website:

Q — If I did not fill out my immigration forms online prior to the three (3) day cutoff, do I need to check in early at the pier?

A — We recommend that you arrive at the pier approximately three (3) hours prior to ship departure time to allow sufficient time for pier-side check-in.

So -- since you are electing not to do anything via the internet -- for example -- if your ship leaves at 5 PM -- you need to be at the pier by 2 PM.

Interestingly as soon as you arrive at the terminal and check in all that personal information you've supposedly and hopefully so carefully guarded, to the point of refusing to do anything on line or over the phone, all winds up on a computer. First the agent enters the information on their laptop or PC at the desk. Either immediately or shortly after you check in that data is transmitted via a land line or satellite link to wherever HAL maintains their servers. Now all that data is available to any HAL employee with the proper access, or improper access for that matter, and potentially subject to compromise by hackers. Somehow using my home computer with it's triple redundant security isn't such a threat. There are no absolutes. :)

I will wait till I get to the check in. which I assume I can do...

I would much prefer that over paying and way more than a bunch of computer crap....

I dont put any personal docs in line nor do any on line business either in person or hard line phone. I also refuse to do anything wireless:D

I'm confused.

What is the difference if we enter the requested info ourselves or they do it for you at the dock? That information is going into their computers and passed along to Officials or you don't get on the ship.

You give up no safety by not entering it yourself that I can see.

None of us really believe there's any privacy left in our lives, do we?

Interestingly as soon as you arrive at the terminal and check in all that personal information you've supposedly and hopefully so carefully guarded, to the point of refusing to do anything on line or over the phone, all winds up on a computer. First the agent enters the information on their laptop or PC at the desk. Either immediately or shortly after you check in that data is transmitted via a land line or satellite link to wherever HAL maintains their servers. Now all that data is available to any HAL employee with the proper access, or improper access for that matter, and potentially subject to compromise by hackers. Somehow using my home computer with it's triple redundant security isn't such a threat. There are no absolutes. :)

It's going into the computer or the cruiser is not getting on the ship. Put it in yourself or they put it in but it's in computer records and is being forwarded to security officials.

That's just the way it is.

just printed our docs and know this has probably been addressed, but short of back searching the boards; what is the best way to use the paper luggage tags? they seem very susceptible to weather elements. any suggestions?

There are several ways to handle the luggage tags. There's everything from a "home crafts" approach where you print the tags on card stock and then laminate them at home or at an office store to simply printing them out as is and stapling them to your bags pre the instructions. In between there are folks who have covered them with clear packing tape or plastic sleeves or still others who haven't printed them out at all and have gotten tags from the porters at the terminal. I do know that the typical ink used in home printers will run if it gets wet but then again I've never been at a terminal when it was raining so have never had my bags get wet so can't say that happens often.

As Randy mentions, there are many different ways of doing it..We too prefer to do our own..

We print ours on 90 lb. card stock & cut them out..Then we spray them with Krylon, Clear Plastic Spray several times..Puch a hole in them & tie them with tie wraps..Clear Plastic spray can be purchased in any hardware store, paint store, or office supply store...It's used to water proof many things including art projects...

For me, this is faster & neater than using the clear tape..

Another good suggestion by Krazy Kruisers, was to use old photo album plastic sleeves & cut them down & tape them to fit the tag..

Cheers.....:)Betty

for many differnt thindwith can be used for many different projects & you can purchaseart

I

Should say that there's no surefire way that will guarantee tags don't get torn off or smudged or mutilated somewhere along the line. We've tried just about every kind of luggage tag you can imagine over the years. We even have Cruise Critic tags which are some of the toughest bag tags around and virtually indestructible. But virtually isn't completely and the air lines, in their very special way of doing such things, have managed to even destroy a couple of those. :eek::)

Archived