European Explorer: EXTREMELY late/long REVIEW

bluenoser2

Land ho! We were up early, ready to hit land again (well, not literally HIT land; just get our feet on it...). Dad was going on his own tour. We met in the buffet at 7:00 and in spite of the many tours leaving early, it wasn’t congested at all. We had time to read and relax – our tour wasn’t meeting until 9:30. We were on the “Powerscourt Falls and Estate” tour. While I wouldn’t have chosen this as my first plan of attack, the DH’s reasoning was that we might be tired of all the “city” touring and be ready for a little countryside experience by this point in the adventure.

Being on a bus meant, as usual, I fought to stay awake. I loved the Dublin “decor”, especially the doors and their bright colours. We arrived first at the Falls, which were not spectacular, compared to others I’ve seen – but we were told that was due to lack of rain in the season. However, the Redwood imported from California was a nice surprise in the landscape, and we did enjoy time on our own to just explore the trails and relax. Florence hunted high and low for leprechauns, trolls and fairies, but found none, certainly not for lack of trying.

100_5874.jpg?t=1286533524

100_5886.jpg?t=1286533676

Next was lunch at Nancy Murphy’s Pub in Enniskerry. We had Irish stew and Guiness bread. The stew was lovely; even Paul, who abhors lamb, ate all of his – so he was either ravenous, determined to get his money’s worth, or he just plain liked it. Service was pretty slow – let’s just call it relaxed. World Cup Soccer was on every screen – SOCCER RULES! Dessert was taking forever to come, so some of the people from our table left to explore the town. The moment they left, the dessert came and it was totally yummy – apple tart - all warm, and fresh. We were almost finished when 2 came back, declaring there to be nothing to see or do in town, so they had their dessert. When we went outside, we saw the others from our table and directed them back to have dessert as they were also bored! So we went to the bus at the appointed time, and waited, and waited, and waited for one passenger, who upon finally arriving, after the guide had been all through the town trying to find her, replied, “I found an antique shop.....”

100_5893.jpg?t=1286533739

Catch of the Day: What’s the difference between a tourist and a hitchhiker?

About 5 minutes. –the tour guide, at the next stop.

We got to Powerscourt Estate and toured the grounds on our own. It was a lovely, beautiful place. There were perennial beds, a Japanese garden, a walled garden, a pet cemetery (?!), and other sights. We enjoyed our leisurely strolls through here, and ended with a great time at the shops. Many souvenirs were purchased here, including a new addition to DH’s hat collection – a little more silver in his hair, and some work on his accent, and Sean Connery, watch out!

100_5905.jpg?t=1286533848

100_5921.jpg?t=1286533939

On our return to the ship, we drove through downtown Dublin, which I do want to visit properly “someday” (a very busy day, that someday). It was a delightful day, and I loved Ireland – the tiny taste I had of it – it actually felt quite familiar at times, like some of our Maritime scenery.

100_5930.jpg?t=1286534043

We were back as the last groups were coming back on the ship, at 5:15. And then there’s the one person attempting to LEAVE the ship to make a call on her cell phone where it would be cheaper, and security wasn’t letting her off, since they were trying to get everyone on.....

We ate a little earlier, and caught up with Dad’s day. Table for 3, with our assistant waiter Rajesh, who was fantastic. He was continually re-filling Dad’s “cuppa hot water”, and when he spied me stealing a piece of Paul’s asparagus, there suddenly appeared my own side dish of asparagus! I must have been getting ready for more normal sorts of meals because my 3 star items tonight were the Spaghetti Carbonara and the Sky High Lemon Meringue Pie. It was a fun meal and we had time before the show to relax as well. We were in the theatre by 8:15 and yes, there were seats, but no aisle seats – hmmmm, hopefully we’d be able to make it through to the end of this one. Diane Cousins was the entertainer, and a very popular one at that. She was fun, but I noticed some short term memory loss in her delivery, and she really kept the band on their toes. She was supposed to be back another night, but was taken home for a “medical emergency”. I think something was going on during that performance we watched.

And so, it was, to bed.

We had a very busy non stop day in Dublin. As we have never been we wanted to see as much as possible. It was a cool, cloudy morning and I was thankful I brought a light jacket. The sun came out in the afternoon.

We opted to get a Princess shuttle from the pier which dropped us off at the top of Kildare Street, near Trinity College. Many people were heading there to view the Book of Kells whcih is located in the Old Library. Trinity College is like Harvard in the USA. Do not try to walk from the port area as it is too far.

Once there we decided the best way to get a good overview of Dublin was to purchase tickets for 15 Euros per person and hop on the Hop On Hop Off Bus. We got good value for our money as we stayed on for 1.5 hours and viewed the full route. When we went around for the second time we stopped off at St. Patricks (entry fee), Dublin Castle, Guiness Brewery (entry fee), famous Temple Bar on Dame St. (Bohemian area), Nassau Street and Grafton Street (which is a pedestrian only shopping area). Of course we had to spend some time there as I needed my shopping fix for the day :D We walked along the Liffey and decided we needed a coffee to warm our bones. Canadians will understand how delighted we were when we saw a Tim Hortons in a convenience store. I missed my Timmy. :cool:

Some other stops included Gov't Bldgs, Museum of Modern Art and the Dublin Zoo. There were several more stops but I can't remember what they were.

All in all it was a delightful day and we fell in love with Dublin! :)

Thanks for the great reviews....Dublin is one of our favourite cities in the whole world. I am totally stoked to find a Timmy's in any city. My Mom and I were in London (stuck there for a week by the VOLCANO!!!) and found a Timmy's just off Trafalgar Square. What a treat...we had doughnuts and coffee and thought of home!

My DH and I did follow the trad music trail and drank many Guinness during our week in Dublin. I can recommend the Musical Pub Crawl as a great way to spend an evening. The leaders play music and explain the instruments, while the participants enjoy the pub atmosphere.

Thanks for the wonderful review!

CanadacruiseRN

I believe that this picture was taken in Florence by the Arno River looking at the back of the Galleria Uffizi. Enjoying your review.

Wow. I am impressed and humbled, lostatsea200! That was REALLY specific - you get bonus points for that!

Canadians will understand how delighted we were when we saw a Tim Hortons in a convenience store. I missed my Timmy. :cool:

mmmm....yup, I remember feeling like I was totally home once I saw the Tims in the Halfax airport when we arrived!

We had a very busy non stop day in Dublin. As we have never been we wanted to see as much as possible. It was a cool, cloudy morning and I was thankful I brought a light jacket. The sun came out in the afternoon.

We opted to get a Princess shuttle from the pier which dropped us off at the top of Kildare Street, near Trinity College. Many people were heading there to view the Book of Kells whcih is located in the Old Library. Trinity College is like Harvard in the USA. Do not try to walk from the port area as it is too far.

Once there we decided the best way to get a good overview of Dublin was to purchase tickets for 15 Euros per person and hop on the Hop On Hop Off Bus. We got good value for our money as we stayed on for 1.5 hours and viewed the full route. When we went around for the second time we stopped off at St. Patricks (entry fee), Dublin Castle, Guiness Brewery (entry fee), famous Temple Bar on Dame St. (Bohemian area), Nassau Street and Grafton Street (which is a pedestrian only shopping area). Of course we had to spend some time there as I needed my shopping fix for the day :D We walked along the Liffey and decided we needed a coffee to warm our bones. Canadians will understand how delighted we were when we saw a Tim Hortons in a convenience store. I missed my Timmy. :cool:

Some other stops included Gov't Bldgs, Museum of Modern Art and the Dublin Zoo. There were several more stops but I can't remember what they were.

All in all it was a delightful day and we fell in love with Dublin! :)

Sounds like you took in most of Dublin. It's such a friendly city.

Did you spot my hero, Bono of U2 hanging out in his hotel, The Clarence, by the side of the Liffey? :cool:

I WISH WE had seen Bono - that would've made my son's day (just to know someone in his family had seen him!). Especially since the U2 concert he was planning to attend in Toronto got cancelled.

Our tour guide devoted substantial time to the history of U2 and Bono on our tour....along with the following:

What's the difference between Bono and God?

God doesn't think He's Bono.

I WISH WE had seen Bono - that would've made my son's day (just to know someone in his family had seen him!). Especially since the U2 concert he was planning to attend in Toronto got cancelled.

Our tour guide devoted substantial time to the history of U2 and Bono on our tour....along with the following:

What's the difference between Bono and God?

God doesn't think He's Bono.

LOL!! Poor old G...... err... Bono!

He is recovered from his back operation and just completed a European leg of the tour. New US dates have been announced so your son can still get to see them in Toronto on 11th July 2011. :cool:

The day started early when at 4:40 a.m. I was awake (note, that’s AWAKE, not UP and it was already light outside. We enjoyed watching the approach into Greenock from our balcony and were (really) up and eating by 6:30 a.m. and meeting for our tour group before the 7:30 a.m. meeting time – we have this thing about getting the #1 stickers...which we did, and we got to leave substantially earlier than the posted time. This “Edinburgh on your own” tour was very popular – I think there were 10 busses. Stuart, our guide, talked most of the 1 ½ hour journey to the city – at least I believe he did....because, you guessed it...I was the one dozing in her seat...but he had such a wonderful accent – I think he was #2 on my list of top 10 voices on this trip. We drove through Glasgow, and enjoyed the “artwork” along the M-Way, which if you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about and if you haven’t, you should. It was quite delightful.

This was a day I was glad for a jacket and pants – it started out quite cool, and I was really hoping I wasn’t going to turn into a whiney walker from feeling chilly! (I didn’t; I was good, and it warmed up, especially after we started hoofing up the hill.) We LOVED Edinburgh – that’s the short summary. However, by now you know I’m not a short story teller, so here we go! HEADS UP! That might be the theme of our day – a good neck massage by the end of it would have been nice – I was always looking up at the amazing architecture and oohing and ahhing over all the buildings. So majestic, so.....oh look! It’s an ATM that we understand! Money! How lovely. And....a MALL – first one of those we’ve seen all trip. However, we were not here to shop in a mall. We headed straight (more or less) for Edinburgh Castle after EASILY getting our currency from the ATM.

100_5949.jpg?t=1286632721

We were in line about 5 or 6 minutes for tickets; it seemed like a long line, until we later saw the crowds coming in when we were leaving closer to noon! I was so glad for my very smart DH who wanted to be sure we had all the time we wanted at the castle. We saw everything (I think) and while we weren’t super impressed with the Crown Jewels, we made up for it with our awe of the magnificent views from the castle. Florence was getting tired of us making her pose on every cannon we saw, so we tucked her away, and went on our way.

100_5959.jpg?t=1286632834

100_5967.jpg?t=1286632930

We walked the Royal Mile, enjoying the shops and sights around. Oooooh, is that a bagpipe playing? I loved the bagpipe players on street corners – instead of guitar players, or violin players, what else would you expect to see in Scotland? Touristy, probably, but it was a nice touch. Funny, I don’t appreciate the sound of bagpipes nearly so much at home, except when they’re far away and outdoors...but when in Edinburgh....and we went to Holyrood Palace (well, we used the washrooms just outside the palace...does that count?).

100_5980.jpg?t=1286633011

We continued our stroll up Regent Walk to Calton Hill park. Wow. Now we had another magnificent view from the other side of the area. It was such a beautiful day – in a beautiful city.

100_5997.jpg?t=1286633222

100_6002.jpg?t=1286633362

We had time to spare and enjoyed just sitting on a bench to people-watch, while eating a snack and being watched VERY closely by some VERY large pigeons. I could feel Florence trembling in my bag! Again, she was a bit miffed that we hadn’t let her have a photo op with Bobby Brown, and reasoning with her was to no avail....Oh, wouldja look at that...a tea shoppe! And just enough time to purchase some Scottish tea for my souvenir. With our tired feet, we were happy to make it back to the seats of the bus. Some were less happy....I may not be up on tour etiquette, because I didn’t realize that you couldn’t change seats on the way back, especially if nothing was left to “save” a seat. We sat in the same seats we had been in, but others were not so lucky – there was one VERY upset gentleman who let EVERYONE know his displeasure with those who had “stolen” his seats. When he was the last to arrive on the bus. For a good part of the return trip. Loudly. With choice words.

We took turns dozing on the way back, and arrived back, where I think today’s......

Catch of the Day........is the maze we had to conquer to get back to the ship. If you were there, you know what I mean. I actually sketched it in my notebook! Just when you thought you had been set free from the serpentining, back and forth Slow Walk of the Tired, you realized it was just a scheme to get you to notice the gift and souvenir kiosks, before having to enter yet another queue before going through security. There was a slight comic/sinister feel to it all, like were the Doomed, being marched off to somewhere ....who knows where....

Well, it was just the ship.... (did I say JUST the ship? My, I’m getting rather blasé about this aren’t I?). After regrouping in our room, Paul was ready for pool time and I was ready to check another item off my need-to-try list – the Chicken Waldorf salad at the International Cafe. It WAS very good and I enjoyed every morsel of it. Dad had been on his own tour again, a shorter but later than ours tour. I enjoyed our departure from our balcony – what a beautiful countryside, and as usual, I loved the architecture and design of the homes and townhouses.

We shared a table with a group we had been with on another night, and had a lovely relaxing meal. My 3 star items from the PRINCESS Dinner were the chilled yogurt and cucumber soup, and the chocolate brandy cake.

Tonight was the Crew-International Show which was typically painful to watch, so we left before the cruise staff finale. Dad had just gotten there for the last 2 numbers, having fallen asleep in his room “accidentally”. Falling asleep sounded like a fine plan at this point.

(Here's a few more pics of Scotland before we leave - I didn't do much photo snapping on our sea day....)

100_6000.jpg?t=1286705746

100_6006.jpg?t=1286705745

100_6008.jpg?t=1286705745

Our last sea day started in a lazy way, with a leisurely breakfast, and then time at the interdenominational service in the Explorer’s Lounge. One of the passengers led the service on this day and the first Sunday, while Magdalena, the Crown’s pianist, played. O.K. – not to be super critical, but when someone says, “and you can remain seated for the next hymn” and the next hymn is “Stand Up, Stand Up .....” am I the only one who finds that a bit amusing? No one else seemed to.

We attended the culinary demo in the Theatre, which I have on every other cruise, dozed through. However, today I stayed alert, and it was actually quite fun and well presented. It smelled great, with all the garlic and olive oil. We didn’t bother with the galley tour, having done that before, instead choosing to go to the photo galley and rid the walls of our oh-so-photogenic creations.

Catch of the Day: The aroma of the maitre de’s concoction in the demonstration: evoo, garlic, chilli pepper, hand sanitizer.......

Cafe Caribe was having “Trattoria” buffet, so we went there around 12:30 and it wasn’t crowded at all, and the food was very tasty. Following that, we made our way to the Lido deck for the Scrap Heap Challenge. There were 10 or 12 teams participating...7 managed to keep their little contraptions afloat, only one was a complete bomb, sinking immediately.

100_6012.jpg?t=1286705919

100_6019-1.jpg?t=1286706089

100_6023.jpg?t=1286706196

This was the first day of the whole cruise that I got to promenade the entire Promenade deck! So we did it several times to get our hour’s worth in. Or was it ½ hour? I can’t remember. Sounds better if I say an hour. We got ready for our last formal evening, and chose to pass on the Captain’s Farewell party. However, we did go through the highly congested area for a look-see, quickly turning around to exit, and ran into the new Captain Andy Proctor, who had just come aboard in Scotland, when Captain Nash departed. I did find it interesting that the new captain’s first official duty was a “farewell” function.

This was Beef Wellington night for me (3 stars) and Paul had to order his own 2nd helping of lobster. My appetizer was asparagus with bacon, tomato and hollandaise and of course it got 3 stars from me, knowing that it was going to be a long time before I have asparagus again. Unless I’m home...alone.

After dinner, we watched “The Liars Club” and were entertained by the cruise staff’s definitions of.... (can you believe I actually documented this?) the words woopknacker, mushfaker, chubble and vapulation. I did not record the definitions, so you’re on your own there.

So close, and yet so far...... and I’m not just talking about being in France and relatively close to Paris, but the gobbling up (sorry, it’s Thanksgiving here in Canada) of time spent GETTING to Paris on this day. Furthermore, we did NOT get in group #1 this morning...missed it by THAT much....there was just one space left, so they decided to keep us together and we were relegated to group #2. However, we were in the bus that did NOT break down, and that was really good enough. We left promptly at 7:30. And another “so close”? That would be the seats on this bus that were clearly made for.... I don’t know, 5 year olds? People with no legs? The longest trek and the least amount of leg room. Sigh. However, DH, again showing his intellectual prowess, had studied the atlas the previous evening (told you he couldn’t handle sea days...) and knew which side of the bus to be on to avoid being in the sun all morning. Now that’s planning. And he’s all mine!

The trip was through lovely countryside, and we stopped at a gas station for a break, along with every other motor coach in the country, and instead of waiting in line for a washroom break, I browsed. I love the part of the trip where one minute there’s nothing but trees on both sides of the highway, the next minute, we’re in a tunnel, and then....we were SO obviously IN Paris! That was exciting for little ol’ me, and a bit frustrating as all the sights were being passed by so quickly. I reminded myself that it was “just a taste of Paris”. By the 400th time ...”it’s just a taste, it’s just a taste” – I almost had myself convinced. Zoom – by the Arc de Triumph, whoosh, by Louis Vitton, Rolex.....and then we stopped at Lafayette, where we went up the “motorized staircase” as our guide Estelle would say (I was quite disappointed to discover it was just an escalator) to the roof to get our views of the city.

Florence carefully adjusted her bow to a jaunty, carefree, Parisian style, and waited patiently for her photo ops.

100_6035.jpg?t=1286800856

We had 40 minutes of free time (Paris...in 40 minutes? I don’t know of ANY guide books that give you advice for that one.) We walked a block or so in every direction, to the Opera House and around, so we could say we had strolled the streets, and returned to the store – what an amazing stained glass dome in the middle. While DH was having his washroom break on floor “-1”, I stood in awe. An entire floor devoted to women’s shoes. I pinched myself. It was still there. Every colour. Every style. Could it be? Alas, time was up, and we met our group, amazingly no stragglers.

100_6040.jpg?t=1286801018

On the bus we went, and whoosh...there was the Louvre, and on we went to the Seine and our Luncheon river cruise on the Cristal. It was very warm and very full, but we had a really nice time and the meal was delicious. I think. I was trying to eat, and see EVERYTHING at the same time. It WAS a lovely way to see Paris in such a short time. The violinist and pianist played suitable music along the way (Ave Maria at the Notre Dame, “New York, New York” at the Statue of Liberty and some beautiful classical selections in between.

100_6069.jpg?t=1286801173

100_6079.jpg?t=1286801246

Back on the bus, we travelled up to the spot where the best views of the Eiffel Tower are. That was very nice, but my favourite part of this stop was the HUGE crowd that was gathered by an appropriately HUGE screen watching France play their game of soccer in the World Cup. We were there, just as France scored a goal, and the sound that came from that field was amazing – the ground shook with their jumping and cheering. Awesome.

100_6090.jpg?t=1286801297

100_6107.jpg?t=1286801349

On the way back to port there was some serious napping going on all over the bus. We returned around 6:00, at which point Paul retreated to the upper deck to warm up – he was freezing. So was I, but that’s just me all the time. I did a few laps on the Promenade deck to warm up. Why were we freezing you may ask?

Catch of the Day: A man went up from the back of the bus to ask for the A.C. to be turned on. On his way back, someone said “hot back there?” to which he replied “I’ve never been closer to H.....”

So the air conditioning was on, big time. It was probably good that we had those close quarters to huddle in for warmth.

We met Dad for “Chef’s Dinner”; tonight was another 4 star menu item for me – (drum roll please...) the twice baked goat cheese soufflé. Mmmmmm. The scallops in lemon butter sauce with julienned vegetables also scored a 4, and we gave the strawberry sorbet and dessert ménage de trois 3 stars.

For the first time, Paul and I went to a movie at the MUTS theatre – first time at night that is. He got me a couple of warmed (!) blankets and we watched Valentine’s Day. It was pretty cool up there, and hardly anyone was there, but it was a lot of fun. After the movie we got a piece of pizza (certainly not because we were hungry....) and some other treats (lobster claws from Horizon Court for Paul) and then we retired for the night. A full day, and a full stomach, as usual.

Wonderful pictures.

I have a question: on the front of Auld Jock's Pie Shoppe, "Haggis Neeps & Tatties" was posted. Does anyone know what Neeps and/or Tatties might be.

Haggis Neeps and tatties are haggis,mashed potatoes and turnips.

We were in Edinburgh this summer and I ran across Mull of Kintyre

truckle, Hereford hop and Cornish Yarg. I spent two days trying to

find out what that was not that I was going to order it. It is

black grapes, red onion chutney and Isle of Arran oaties. And to

think we all speak the same language.

Imagine our dismay when upon arriving early to meet with our tour group, we were handed a Group #7 sticker!!! Was our reputation completely tarnished? Had we misread the meeting time instructions? Ah, no, they were just giving out numbers this time instead of different colours – everyone was the same colour.....we breathed easier, and realized we were in the first batch of seven-ers.

We boarded our bus, and were delighted to find we had room for...our legs. There was also a little gold box on everyone’s seat with (of course) Belgian chocolates inside. We had a great driver and guide for the trip to Brugge – which seemed incredibly short compared to yesterday’s journey. Upon arriving we were split into two groups, and our group got the most talkative tour guide in all of Belgium I’m sure. Clearly, I must be the worst tour group participant in the history of tour groups, because I just didn’t care about the history of the hospital, my eyes, nose and mouth were simply heading for chocolate. However, the buildings WERE charming, and totally different from other styles we’d seen.

100_6112.jpg?t=1286884977

We made our way to our boat ride on the canal, where the driver of the boat became our tour guide for this leg of the tour. He was excellent, with a dry sense of humour (which of course, I would have no appreciation for) and made our canal trip informative and totally enjoyable. The swans were prolific at one end of the canal, but very difficult to get pictures of, when everyone else around me was jockeying for position to photograph them. We got them later when we were walking alone.

100_6117.jpg?t=1286885044

There was another hour to endure of the organized tour, before being released for our free time. Again, my wise and wonderful DH really has a marvellous sense of direction – I would have been walking in circles for hours, and we did walk in circles, but more purposefully than I would have. He never got lost (I had no idea where we were most of the time) and we covered a great deal of territory. We set out to find a washroom, and agreed that it was the best .50 Euros we had each spent.

100_6121.jpg?t=1286885116

Finding something to eat was our next mission – there were lots of places to eat, we just didn’t want a full MEAL, just a snack to get us through. We found a little cafe where we shared a Panini and an apple strudel with Florence, and then continued on our quest...this time for chocolate.

100_6133.jpg?t=1286885371

100_6144.jpg?t=1286885191

Loaded down with bags of creamy delicious treats (our only souvenirs from Belgium!), we managed to avoid being hit by horses, carriages, or bicycles, AND not stepping in any dog or horse...er...manure. A totally successful expedition.

100_6148.jpg?t=1286885231

We were back at the ship by 3:15, and Paul of course headed straight for the pool. I chose an icepack for my bleary allergy-laden eyes, before going to find him.

Catch of the Day: I circled each of the main pools at least twice, carefully looking at all the lounge chairs, and could not find Paul anywhere. I finally gave up, grabbed a cup of tea, and some treats, and found my own lounge chair in the shade to update my journal. After I had completed my writing, my sipping, and my munching...I looked up, and there, not 10 feet ahead of me, I recognized Paul’s familiar ball cap. I was practically sitting with him the whole time and didn’t even know it. Duh.

So it was back to the room to do that icky part of the trip...packing. Sorting. Throwing away. Jamming stuff into suitcases. Trying to be logical and leave out what’s needed for disembarkation. Then we were off to Landfall Dinner and everything got 3 stars from me, just because it was the last meal on the ship, and I knew that in another day or so I’d be the cook again. One of the waiters in our section had a guitar, and could actually sing on key, and was strolling around singing “Leaving on a Jet Plane....” (sniff.) We watched a show in the theatre, and retired to our balcony to watch the sunset, and that was it – our last evening on the Crown. Sigh.

Tomorrow....last day’s escapades...London!

Clever little multi lingual Florence reading the local newspaper. Was she looking in the ads for counselling for Vertigo? (seeing as she's spent most of the cruise hanging off dangerous ledges). ;)

A retrospective welcome to London. Looking forward to your next post and wish you'd had a longer cruise so your great review could continue entertaining us :D

ps any turkey left?

U2cruiser...after a week in therapy upon return to home, she seemed to rally, and is now determining her wardrobe for her next adventure - she has to pack light - carry-ons only on the next one! And yes, we're having turkey sandwiches for lunch today, turkey pie tomorrow.......you're all invited for leftovers.

Archived