Customer service complaint about Oasis

rexalite

I'm sorry she didn't get the gift you ordered and paid for, but I have to ask, just out of curiosity...

What was she expecting her son to do while she was on a ship in the middle of the Caribbean??

A ship to shore, a card, a cake, a band, a surprise party, personal visit from the Captain, if in port, acknowledgement from the resident President / Dictator of the country .... just for starters.

If I may make a suggestion:

Gather every piece of paper you have regarding this issue, including your in-laws' folio receipt that does NOT show the $500 OBC. Make multiple copies and keep one in a folder. Contact your CC company about filing a claim. When the form arrives, fill it out completely and send it back, along with copies of your gathered papers. Write a letter to RC as well and include another set of copies. I really see no need to even mention the fact that the other couple received the credit in error. That is a moot point right now. I have learned the hard way that giving too much info at the beginning can be detrimental.

Here's what happened to us (different but still and issue):

We had Marriott (two nights) and airline points expiring so we took the kids to Universal for a long weekend. I booked everything over the phone with the respective agents, noting names and times. Upon checkout, we were charged for three nights instead of two. No arguing with the hotel staff fixed this, so we paid and flew home.

I contacted my cc company and Marriott by mail. I submitted all the proper forms to the cc company and wrote a letter to the president of Marriott, including all the paperwork I had organized. Not only did I get a credit from the cc, I also got a letter of apology from Marriott's president as well as a check covering the entire cost of our hotel stay. Kept us as Marriott customer for sure.

Good luck.

Excellent advice!!

When my bank failed to credit my account with a $2000 deposit, I was frantic. I told Mom and she said she got a credit for a $2000 deposit that she didn't make. OK, off to the bank I go with my deposit slip, made no mention of Mom's good fortune (although short lived). I got my credit immediately and within 3 weeks Mom lost hers! My reasoning for not mentioning where the money went is.....it doesn't matter, that's the bank's (or RCI's) problem. They have to do right by me because I have the paper work.

Whenever filling a complaint remain calm and level headed. You lose credibility by ranting and raving. I think the OP will make out OK.

If you purchased these items (cake and OBC) with your credit card and you kept the receipts showing who was suppose to get those items then you should dispute this charge along with forwarding copies of those receipts and a brief letter describing the situation to the CC company. Your credit card company will reverse those charges and open an investigation as to what happen and forward your documentation on to RCCL's accounting department. It will be up to RCCL to provide proof to the credit card company that the intended party did get those gifts. RCCL will pull their onboard folio to see if they got the OBC. If they can't then RCCL loses the dispute and the chargeback stands. Plain and simply. It doesn't matter that someone else got that OBC. It is more than likely an employee erroneously apply the OBC to the wrong passengers compounded by the fact that everyone stayed in the same cabin. The fact that guest relation couldn't reasonably explain to the receipant of the OBC why they received such a gift further compounded the error. Yes, it's a mess, but I do think RCCL screwed up and should eat the $500 at or alone on grounds of just good PR and passenger relations. It will be interesting to see how RCCL response.

We also had this same problem on Oasis in July. Some of our friends ordered the Just married decorations, a bottle of champagne, and celebration cupcakes. All of this should have been in our cabin when we arrived. We didn't get anything. When they called to ask if we liked our stuff, we had no idea what they were talking about. So we went down to customer service, they also had no idea. After 3 days on the cruise, we FINALLY got our cabin decorated and the items that were ordered. They told us there was a mixup with gifts and gear and they lost the first order. In addition, they also credited our account for the items, so we ended up getting them for free. Did you complain while you were on the cruise? I am sure they would have taken care of it, although for us, it kind of defeated the purpose of the surprise because we were expecting it.

No way no time would we spend a 500$ (or even a 100$) OBC that just showed up on our account without knowing who put it there and why. Thats just crazy/voodo math

I could see the cruise line billing our card on the last day for 500$ and saying"oh we made a mistake" but you spent the money so you owe us.

As for the couple who got the credit, I do feel they are blameless in this. They are friends of my inlaws. They would not have knowingly spent money that was supposed to go to someone else. When they noticed the credit in the account, they inquired at the billing department on the ship, and were told that "it was a credit for them to spend". The person said that often there will be credits offered as part of the booking promotion or what have you. They had booked an expensive suite, so I guess they assumed it was a promotion. They did spend it, at the spa. I would have spent it too. I wouldn't have thought I needed to inquire further. Part of my hesitancy in contacting RC is that I don't want them to have to repay the $500 because I dont' think that is fair.

No way no time would we spend a 500$ (or even a 100$) OBC that just showed up on our account without knowing who put it there and why. Thats just crazy/voodo math

I could see the cruise line billing our card on the last day for 500$ and saying"oh we made a mistake" but you spent the money so you owe us.

If it was your first cruise or you didn't cruise often, being told that it was probably part of a booking promotion would seem like a reasonable explanation. I also would question a $500 OBC appearing on my account for no reason, but I've been on several cruises and read these boards. Not everyone does. The couple may have thought it was a surprise gift from their TA.

If it was your first cruise or you didn't cruise often, being told that it was probably part of a booking promotion would seem like a reasonable explanation. I also would question a $500 OBC appearing on my account for no reason, but I've been on several cruises and read these boards. Not everyone does. The couple may have thought it was a surprise gift from their TA.

On our Hawaiian cruise my BIL arrived in his upgraded balcony cabin (from an inside) had a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a soda package sticker. He thought it was an amenity with the cabin. This was only his third cruise and the other two had been inside cabins. It wasn't until someone else he talked to in a balcony told him they didn't get those things that he knew he maybe shouldn't have gotten the stuff. By that time, the champagne and strawberries were gone and the soda sticker firmly stuck to his Sea Pass so he wasn't going to investigate it further. He just worried he would be charged for them but he wasn't.

Tucker in Texas

OB, I am not trying to excuse RC's lapse AT ALL - I was actually in the situation of not receiving something that someone ordered for me, but since I knew about it, I could go to Guest Services and demand, er, ask for, my stuff.

BUT............

Yes, we hear quite a few of these stories on Cruise Critic, but let's face it - all of the people who have successfully purchased onboard credit for themselves or others or who have ordered stuff from Gifts 'n' Gear and have received it exactly as expected......aren't posting here to tell us how satisfied they are!

We really don't know what percentage of these transactions goes awry.

Sure, their performance rate should be 100%, but it may be 99%, and we only hear about the 1%.

It's just human nature.

This is not just human nature IMO anyway, it's 'old fashioned' incompetentency!! :(

Rather expensive and tramatic for the OP and his MIL...& if they can't guarantee 100% then they shld be prepared to not only reimburse the OP but offer some form of $ apology along with a worded one also but JMO...

I can just imagine how they wld react - they wldn't call it just 'human nature' if the OPs credit card had refused payment...instead of honoring it!!! :)

First of all, please learn how to use the "quote" function. Just hit the "quote" button in the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to quote, and then don't touch any part of it when you type your response.

Second, you really need to tone it down. Most of your posts are full of vitriol, and strong negativity towards Royal Caribbean. Perhaps this is not the cruiseline for you.

Third, my sentence "It's just human nature" refers to people who post on Cruise Critic. It refers to the fact that people who have a negative experience are highly likely to post it here, while people who have a positive experience are CONSIDERABLY less likely to write a post saying, "I got my champagne exactly as I ordered it."

:rolleyes:

First of all, please learn how to use the "quote" function. Just hit the "quote" button in the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to quote, and then don't touch any part of it when you type your response.

Second, you really need to tone it down. Most of your posts are full of vitriol, and strong negativity towards Royal Caribbean. Perhaps this is not the cruiseline for you.

Third, my sentence "It's just human nature" refers to people who post on Cruise Critic. It refers to the fact that people who have a negative experience are highly likely to post it here, while people who have a positive experience are CONSIDERABLY less likely to write a post saying, "I got my champagne exactly as I ordered it."

:rolleyes:

Now I have to read some old threads..:) lol

I want a TA that gives a $500 OBC surprise gift :eek:

I wanted to get some input regarding how to go about complaining about poor service on the Oasis of the Seas.

Sorry that this happened. There is no excuse for the cruise line to have screwed this up that bad. I would sit down and write a letter to RCI and explain what happened. I would not have been happy over this. If they take the order then it's up to them to follow through with it.

Royal does listen - we had a problem on one of their ships and when we filled out the survey at the end of cruise - and about a week later, we received a call from head office in southern Florida and they were very concerned, they thanked us for complaining and said it would be rectified - since then no problems:)

I want a TA that gives a $500 OBC surprise gift :eek:
Prior to RC policy changes regarding TA OBCs, we got a $450 OBC for booking a JS on a 12-nt cruise. Of course, that was 5 years ago and I knew about it before the cruise. If the OP's in-laws and their friends haven't sailed before or sailed in several years, they might think TAs still give large OBCs like that for booking a suite. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt since some posters have implied that the friends should have known the surprise OBC was fishy. I haven't found a TA recently who gives OBC like that, even for suites.

I'll be that 1% that says that I have never had any problem ordering gifts for someone on a ship.

My brother, SIL, their kids & my dad went on RCL a year or so ago, in 2 cabins. For my brother's cabin I sent a kids activity pack for my niece & nephew, and for my dad's cabin I sent chocolate covered strawberries. Everything was delivered to the right (non-connecting!) cabins and my charge was correct.

I've also sent things to my in-laws and not had issues there either...so don't worry everyone - it's not all bad!

I'm actually going to surprise my hubby and order a package for our trip coming up for his birthday.

Prior to RC policy changes regarding TA OBCs, we got a $450 OBC for booking a JS on a 12-nt cruise. Of course, that was 5 years ago and I knew about it before the cruise. If the OP's in-laws and their friends haven't sailed before or sailed in several years, they might think TAs still give large OBCs like that for booking a suite. I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt since some posters have implied that the friends should have known the surprise OBC was fishy. I haven't found a TA recently who gives OBC like that, even for suites.

Believe me, I know, probably the reason being for at least a GS - the TA's commission is not even $500 in most cases. I would think if the TA were giving you that kind of OBC - it WOULDN'T be a surprise, they would want you to know about it. It sure would be nice though if TA's could afford to do that!:)

Just a comment on the knee jerk reaction to dispute via cc: if you ever plan on using that card for anything with RCCL again (including Celebrity) - don't take this route. They will red flag that card and make it a living hell to use it again. Do it enough, and they will red flag your file.

Try for resolution through RCCL first. And if you do have to go through your cc, don't lie or mislead. Be honest: another couple got the credit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived