Excursion question

mdcrim

Is it important to set these up ahead of time or can you just find locals at the port to book through when you get to the various ports? I know it is not recommended to book through the cruise line if you want to save some money. And I have been looking through the various excursions for each port we're visiting and considering all the recommended vendors. It appears as though most are located right in the area where the ship will be docked. I guess I was just wondering if one could decide when they get into each port what they are feeling like doing that day instead of committing ahead of time...

Is it important to set these up ahead of time or can you just find locals at the port to book through when you get to the various ports? I know it is not recommended to book through the cruise line if you want to save some money. And I have been looking through the various excursions for each port we're visiting and considering all the recommended vendors. It appears as though most are located right in the area where the ship will be docked. I guess I was just wondering if one could decide when they get into each port what they are feeling like doing that day instead of committing ahead of time...

it really depends on how comfortable you are, booking with agents that you don't know anything about. You might want to join your cruise roll call (look for another board on this site labelled "roll call", and look for your cruise line and date). You'll find lots of folks there that book independent excursions all the time, and may even be able to link up with folks to form a group.

And lots of folks just walk off the ship and find a vendor. Just be SURE you know when you're supposed to be back on board (at least 30 minutes before the cruise ship is to set sail!), and make sure the vendor knows that..and whoever it is who is leading your excursion.

Of course, depending on which ports you're talking about, lots of folks just walk off the ship and do their own thing...

Is it important to set these up ahead of time or can you just find locals at the port to book through when you get to the various ports?

There are almost always vendors at the port with whom you can book.

And I have been looking through the various excursions for each port we're visiting and considering all the recommended vendors. It appears as though most are located right in the area where the ship will be docked. I guess I was just wondering if one could decide when they get into each port what they are feeling like doing that day instead of committing ahead of time...
First they may have offices near the dock - but not be AT the dock. They might not have a trip going out when you get there, or maybe they are fully booked.

I'd say if you really want a particular tour - book in advance. If you want to take the luck of the draw - there will probably be something available on the dock.

The other option is not to do an "excursion" at all...if you do some research, you may find that there are tons of things to do on your own, without a guide, and without paying anyone (other than a cab!) to take you somewhere!

A guidebook will be your best investment!

Depends on the itinerary and the excursion. Some very popular ones that have a finite number of seats will sell out. I would check out refund policies of excursions in ports where you tender in case weather and sea conditions preclude tendering.

Archived