IPad

jackjoyus

I'm interested in hearing of any issues with the iPad connecting and staying connected to the ships wifi. It will let me know if I should take both my net book and iPad in December.

Off topic slightly, how do you get the iPad updates that are released...are they automatic? I love my iPad, but I still have lots to learn about it! :)

Off topic slightly, how do you get the iPad updates that are released...are they automatic? I love my iPad, but I still have lots to learn about it! :)
Just connect your iPad with your computer and open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically. It'll automatically search for updates and update your iPad.

Since a major OS update is scheduled for November, I'm guessing (hoping) that the connection issues will be resoved with this update.

Using the Internet on the ship is a two-step process. First, you connect to the WiFi signal, then you connect to the ship's log-in system and then the Internet. I could connect and get to the Internet; that wasn't the problem. The issue with my iPad is that I kept losing the WiFi signal. No WiFi signal, no log-in or Internet. :(

I guess I was not clear. I have unlimited minutes on the 3G and 250 minutes free with Princess so I am spending nothing unless I go over my Princess minutes I have the unlimited plan with AT &T.

Well you can be clearer after you get back and let us know what your AT&T bill shows for while you acessed 3G on the ship.:rolleyes:

Pam, do you have a Kindle also? If so, do you prefer one over the other for reading books?
I prefer to hold a book in my hand but I just ordered one of the new, smaller Kindle's. It's supposed to arrive today. I saw quite a few of them on the ship and while I read a book on my iPad, I found it heavy to carry around and awkward to hold and read for a period of time. Perhaps that's because I'm a woman with small hands. I don't know. Given my choice, I would rather read a paperback but I'll let you know how I like the Kindle. :)

I prefer to hold a book in my hand but I just ordered one of the new, smaller Kindle's. It's supposed to arrive today. I saw quite a few of them on the ship and while I read a book on my iPad, I found it heavy to carry around and awkward to hold and read for a period of time. Perhaps that's because I'm a woman with small hands. I don't know. Given my choice, I would rather read a paperback but I'll let you know how I like the Kindle. :)

Pam,

Have you thought about an ipod touch for reading? I have the kindle app downloaded on it as well as an ebook reader (download books from various sites) and I use it all the time on cruises, flights, etc. I also carry my ipad for email and web access because I like the bigger screen. Just a thought - esp. if you like Apple products and it is multi purpose unlike the kindle. I synch the two so ebooks are on both.

Bonni

My wife has a Kindle, iPad and an iPhone. The iPad and the iPhone both have the Kindle software installed. I'd guess she uses the Kindle over 90% of the time for reading and the iPad the remainder. The iPhone really isn't conducive to reading - the pages are too small and you are flipping them constantly. The Kindle is a better size for holding than the iPad, and she uses the iPad mostly as a backup device in the event she drains the Kindle battery or if she forgot to bring the Kindle with her.

Pam,

Have you thought about an ipod touch for reading? I have the kindle app downloaded on it as well as an ebook reader (download books from various sites) and I use it all the time on cruises, flights, etc. I also carry my ipad for email and web access because I like the bigger screen. Just a thought - esp. if you like Apple products and it is multi purpose unlike the kindle. I synch the two so ebooks are on both.

Bonni

I've got the Kindle app on my iPhone but the screen is just too small for me. Received my new Kindle earlier today and I'm already using it to read a book. I'm liking it. It much smaller and lighter than I remembered, which is a good thing.

I guess I was not clear. I have unlimited minutes on the 3G and 250 minutes free with Princess so I am spending nothing unless I go over my Princess minutes I have the unlimited plan with AT &T.

Princess uses the cell services of MCP. MCP will bill you for any service you use on their cell tower through your cell carrier in this case AT&T. Your cell phone will display "CellAtSea" meaning you are connected to their tower. You may have unlimited data in AT&T's coverage area but AT&T's coverage area does not include MCP or international. I would recommend you have a chat with AT&T wireless. I use AT&T wireless as well.

Princess uses the cell services of MCP. MCP will bill you for any service you use on their cell tower through your cell carrier in this case AT&T. Your cell phone will display "CellAtSea" meaning you are connected to their tower. You may have unlimited data in AT&T's coverage area but AT&T's coverage area does not include MCP or international. I would recommend you have a chat with AT&T wireless. I use AT&T wireless as well.
I believe the MCP cell phone charge is $2.49/minute plus any international roaming charges. Once you step foot on the ship and it leaves the dock, you've left the US and are in international waters. Any cell phone plan isn't applicable unless you have added international roaming and/or global data.

Archived