Noise from above in Penhouse Suites?

lakeboji

We are probably going to book the Alaska cruise on the Regatta, and are looking at the Penthouse Suites. The deck plans show those suites directly below the pool area, and we were wondering if there is any noise from above...like chairs moving etc...We just returned from a cruise to Canada and New England, and the constant movement of chairs from above got to be a bit annoying. We are looking forward to our first Oceania cruise!

Last year cruised with O and was in PH2 just where the Terrace Cafe starts. I sleep lightly and nearly every night I was awoken around 2-3 in the morning by things going on above. This year was on the same level on an old R ship but another line, was closer to the pool area and did not hear as much noise at night. Our tablemates were in a cabin which was basically where we had been on O and they complained about the noise in the middle of the night. Think it is when staff start baking/cooking in the Terrace Cafe.

Thanks for all the input! We will be booking when our TA arrives back in the States from France, and will probably book one of the forward PH3 suites. There are no suites with guests both above and below on this particular ship.

Last year cruised with O and was in PH2 just where the Terrace Cafe starts. I sleep lightly and nearly every night I was awoken around 2-3 in the morning by things going on above. This year was on the same level on an old R ship but another line, was closer to the pool area and did not hear as much noise at night. Our tablemates were in a cabin which was basically where we had been on O and they complained about the noise in the middle of the night. Think it is when staff start baking/cooking in the Terrace Cafe.

Do you remember the PH2 you were in on Oceania's "R" ship? I am thinking of booking a cruise in a PH2 and the area you describe is approximately where the cabin is located. It's sort of underneath the patio and the bathroom, but very close to the entrance to the cafe. I think the cabins available are 8042 and 8044 and maybe 8046, all on the port side.

One of the cabins may open into the stairwell area. Is that area noisy?

It really helps to know the precise location. I have been wondering if I might hear "plumbing" noises, or other things from above.

I am a light sleeper. I don't care about daytime noises.

Won't help you today but we are in 8046 starting in less than 2 weeks as the upgrade gods (and our world class TA) smiled down upon us :D and I'll post back here to let you know.

I am also a light sleeper and had wondered about plumbing noises as well - I'm hoping that won't be the case and I have to assume (am assuming) that if it was an issue we'd have heard about it here already. If you search 8046 you come up with a blank.

Do you remember the PH2 you were in on Oceania's "R" ship? I am thinking of booking a cruise in a PH2 and the area you describe is approximately where the cabin is located. It's sort of underneath the patio and the bathroom, but very close to the entrance to the cafe. I think the cabins available are 8042 and 8044 and maybe 8046, all on the port side.

One of the cabins may open into the stairwell area. Is that area noisy?

It really helps to know the precise location. I have been wondering if I might hear "plumbing" noises, or other things from above.

I am a light sleeper. I don't care about daytime noises.

Thanks for all the input! We will be booking when our TA arrives back in the States from France, and will probably book one of the forward PH3 suites. There are no suites with guests both above and below on this particular ship.

I know from experience (not just 21 on O, but other cruise lines).

Avoid PH3 forward Starboard because you will be right under the Gym. It opens at 6A (I'm there every day at that time on the treadmill - which makes noise) and crew members use the Gym in the evenings when the guests are no loner there. It is noisy. Go aft - besides aft is better in case of rough waters. BUT do cruise with O - WONDERFUL!!

The only plumbing noise I've ever heard on the "R" ships was flushing toilets from a neighboring cabin -- and this is far from being the usual case. I've never heard plumbing noise from above (probably because I haven't been in any of these particular cabins but also perhaps because it's NOT a problem). I've never been bothered by conversations from a neighboring cabin (as I was on NCL'S DREAM in 2001 when our neighbor had nightly cocktail gatherings). I've never heard noise from the hallway, not even when we were opposite the laundry room and the hallway was FILLED with people who were waiting for their laundry to be done and chattering away. I didn't even know that they were there until I opened the door and found a crowd outside my door.

I have noticed occasional scraping noises from the pool area but it did not bother US. If you are very sensitive to such sounds, it might bother you.

When we were in a deck 7 Vista on a 2006 cruise we did hear "anchor" noises early in the morning, but again, we just turned over and went back to sleep. A light sleeper could be more bothered than we were.

Mura

I'll be interested in hearing about 8046. We're there for 42 days next spring from Hong Kong to Athens. The bathrooms appear to be right above but I figured no one would be using them at night so it would be quiet.

I'll be interested in hearing about 8046. We're there for 42 days next spring from Hong Kong to Athens. The bathrooms appear to be right above but I figured no one would be using them at night so it would be quiet.

You should have no problem. Both those bathrooms have little traffic, especially later at night.

I have sailed on the Nautica twice. Both times in PH1. Our last cruise was in July,2010 in cabin #8020. We had a lot of noise from above. It was a sold out cruise with an unusual amount of kids on board. There was a lot of running, etc on the pool deck. We also had a constant squeaking from the ceiling. The maintenance department came immediately to address the issue. They fixed the squeak by bracing the ceiling. On our cruise previous to this one (July,2007), we had no issue with noise except when they cleaned the decks.

Just got back from PH2, Port side on Insignia. No noise from above, or anywhere else for that matter.

Our suite number was 8006 (port side). The stairs/ elevator are right there as well as the Butler's station.

We heard NO noise from passagers, plumbing or anything else for that matter.

It was the perfect location for us...mid ship, close to the stairs for a quick exit and our Butler was always nice and close! :)

One doesn't have to worry about kids on Oceania.

I know from experience (not just 21 on O, but other cruise lines).

Avoid PH3 forward Starboard because you will be right under the Gym. It opens at 6A (I'm there every day at that time on the treadmill - which makes noise) and crew members use the Gym in the evenings when the guests are no loner there. It is noisy. Go aft - besides aft is better in case of rough waters. BUT do cruise with O - WONDERFUL!!

We were upgraded to PH3 aft (8063) for Mar10 T/A. We kept hearing a rumbling/rolling sound from above. Asked Butler and he had no clue. It finally dawned on us that it was the automatic doors leading from the cafe to the outdoor terrace. At some times it was a bit bothersome but this cruise was so relaxing it would have taken a LOT more than that to irritate us.

• 2 weeks later...
Won't help you today but we are in 8046 starting in less than 2 weeks as the upgrade gods (and our world class TA) smiled down upon us :D and I'll post back here to let you know.

I am also a light sleeper and had wondered about plumbing noises as well - I'm hoping that won't be the case and I have to assume (am assuming) that if it was an issue we'd have heard about it here already. If you search 8046 you come up with a blank.

Less than two weeks is just fine for your feedback. Could you ask the folks in the adjoining cabins if you see them in the hall or elsewhere? We aren't going to book right away.

I have sailed on the Nautica twice. Both times in PH1. Our last cruise was in July,2010 in cabin #8020. We had a lot of noise from above. It was a sold out cruise with an unusual amount of kids on board. There was a lot of running, etc on the pool deck. We also had a constant squeaking from the ceiling. The maintenance department came immediately to address the issue. They fixed the squeak by bracing the ceiling. On our cruise previous to this one (July,2007), we had no issue with noise except when they cleaned the decks.

Deck runners? Ugh. What was the itinerary?

Archived