Another suite tipping question

bailey450

We will be in a suite for a 14 day cruise. We booked the suite as I got a great fare and wanted the extra room for this length of cruise. We both like to be out and about and have no need for a butler...we like to go up and get our own snacks and meals. I realize we should still give the butler something for a tip but we are very low maintenance. If he does nothing, what range of tip would you think appropriate?

We will be in a suite for a 14 day cruise. We booked the suite as I got a great fare and wanted the extra room for this length of cruise. We both like to be out and about and have no need for a butler...we like to go up and get our own snacks and meals. I realize we should still give the butler something for a tip but we are very low maintenance. If he does nothing, what range of tip would you think appropriate?

$10/day.

The last time we had a butler was during our first Med cruise. Port intensive, early morning starts. We ordered breakfast in the room every single day...he also brought us special snacks (we filled out a "I like this" form early on in the cruise) which were waiting for us when we arrived back to the ship dead tired). In addition he was always available for questions etc. After 2 days he knew what we liked and went out of his way to make sure we had what we needed (i.e., I drink my morning coffee very very light - by the second day he stocked our refrigerator with a quart of milk - I didn't even think of asking - we are low maintenance too - I don't like people to fuss over me at all).

Butlers do not share in the $12 pp/day "service charge." We gave him $20 a day (10 pp/day). That was our choice - I know some people give less, some more. There are a great many variables...the first of which is what you can afford, how often you utilize the butler's services and the quality of the service. Not all butlers are created equal...by any stretch of the imagination.

I hope this helps - enjoy your cruise!!!

I have the same question, only we will be in a family suite for 7 days and plan to use some services, maybe for a meal or 2? I have budgeted $100 for the butler - is this enough?

I have read various times $10.00 per day. But no one ever said $10.00 per cabin or per person. That would make your tip (for 2 right?) either $70.00 or $140.00. Your $100.00 seems perfectly centered.

When we went for 7 days, we said we would tip $100.00. But our butler was so friendly, helpful and charming, we doubled it. I don't really care if it was all an act to get more money out of us. He was fantastic, and we were happy to give it. We put him to good use, but we weren't demanding either. I felt like he appreciated that and gave us extra service.

I have read various times $10.00 per day. But no one ever said $10.00 per cabin or per person. That would make your tip (for 2 right?) either $70.00 or $140.00. Your $100.00 seems perfectly centered.

When we went for 7 days, we said we would tip $100.00. But our butler was so friendly, helpful and charming, we doubled it. I don't really care if it was all an act to get more money out of us. He was fantastic, and we were happy to give it. We put him to good use, but we weren't demanding either. I felt like he appreciated that and gave us extra service.

We generally tip $10 per person per day to start, and when the two kids are along we tip about $30 a day total (our kids are adults in their own cabin but share in some of the suite meals). I think the lowest we ever tipped on a 7 day was about $100 and the most came out to about $375 for 7 days (14 day cruise- $750 tip in GV for four). Our average is probably about $150-175 per week for two. We are fairly low maintenance, but do enjoy breakfast ensuite at least half the time, have only had dinner served ensuite once a week on two cruises, but do enjoy our afternoon snacks and having everything we want/need within reach. Our butlers have almost all been fantastic, anticipating our needs, keeping the coffee machine full and clean, providing lots of special touches that make a cruise fantastic. There is nothing like returning from a long exhausting day to a fresh bucket of ice, your favorite libation, and a refreshing snack - and then he/she checks right in to make sure that you don't want anything more. I have been spoiled! :D

Robin

Well there will be 4 of us- all adults, but we are picking up my mom's share since she lives on a fixed income. We are excited about the suite, since it's our first, but wanted to make sure we weren't being too cheap. $100 sounded about right!

We generally tip $10 per person per day to start, and when the two kids are along we tip about $30 a day total (our kids are adults in their own cabin but share in some of the suite meals). I think the lowest we ever tipped on a 7 day was about $100 and the most came out to about $375 for 7 days (14 day cruise- $750 tip in GV for four). Our average is probably about $150-175 per week for two. We are fairly low maintenance, but do enjoy breakfast ensuite at least half the time, have only had dinner served ensuite once a week on two cruises, but do enjoy our afternoon snacks and having everything we want/need within reach. Our butlers have almost all been fantastic, anticipating our needs, keeping the coffee machine full and clean, providing lots of special touches that make a cruise fantastic. There is nothing like returning from a long exhausting day to a fresh bucket of ice, your favorite libation, and a refreshing snack - and then he/she checks right in to make sure that you don't want anything more. I have been spoiled! :D

Robin

Gosh, now I think we should try to tip a little more. I wish we were in a position where we didn't have to budget every penny. I'm sure the butlers work really hard and deserve everything they get. Maybe we will win the lottery! Do those slot machines every pay out big?

If this will help you at all in terms of measuring your tip, we also tip $10 per day per person ($20/day for the two of us). I would say we probably use the butler a little more than the average person. If I really thought about it, we probably contact or use the butler an average of at least once day, from serving breakfast, other room service, having something in suite fixed or taken care of, keeping ice in the suite.

No matter what other posters recommend --tipping and the amount is up to

you--tip what you think is good and what you can afford--do not worry about

what others think may be right or wrong.:)

BG

Someone always says that. But most folks asking about tips want direction about what is average. Many of those asking don't want to give considerably less or more then what others give. It's just like someone from outside the USA asking what the accepted tipping percentage in a restaurant is.

Sure, you're free to leave $5.00 on a $100.00 dinner bill. But you're likely to insult the waiter too. Some don't want to do that inadvertently.

YMMV

Someone always says that. But most folks asking about tips want direction about what is average. Many of those asking don't want to give considerably less or more then what others give. It's just like someone from outside the USA asking what the accepted tipping percentage in a restaurant is.

Sure, you're free to leave $5.00 on a $100.00 dinner bill. But you're likely to insult the waiter too. Some don't want to do that inadvertently.

YMMV

Too many variables to make a recommendation--how many people in suite--were they on time with their service etc. etc.--how much you used the butler--was the butler good or the butler from hell--etc. people tend to tip more on shorter cruises. So I stand by what I wrote it is up to each individual to decide what to tip--do you ask each patron at a restaurant what they are tipping before you tip?? The six butlers I have had all received different amouts of tips depending on the cruise length/variables etc.

BG

To the OP:

After reading the various post I think your bulter might be used more than you think. Just think of him as working behind your scene, out of sight. He will probably have snacks and drinks waiting for you when you get back to the ship, etc.

But two thumbs up for still wanting to tip him even though you think you might not use him. Good for you!

Our first suite is coming up.

And I had the same question about tipping the Concierge and Butler.

In researching this board I sort of came up with:

$70 for Butler

$50 for Concierge

for a week

for two of us who will probably only have one breakfast in suite and be asking the Concierge for a couple of reservations and a priority tender ticket for Belize....

and working up (hopefully not down) depending on service.

Does this sound OK?:confused:

$70 for Butler

$50 for Concierge

for a week

for two of us who will probably only have one breakfast in suite and be asking the Concierge for a couple of reservations and a priority tender ticket for Belize....

There are probably people who don't tip at all. And some who tip a lot.

Like BG said, I had a really poor butler and an incredible concierge. I had budgeted $10 per day for each, with my mom tipping too. I ended up giving my concierge some of what I had allotted for the butler and deducted from his. I still gave him a tip, but there were a lot of variables that made him less than satisfactory.

What was sad is the other butler on the Sun was wonderful. We had heard about him from another CC cruiser before our cruise and we hated that he was not ours. He actually did some real nice things for us, like at the VIP party and when he filled in for our butler when he was sick for a few days.

So I hope next time we get luckier.

$70 for Butler

$50 for Concierge

for a week

Sounds like a reasonable starting point. Yeah, hopefully the level of service will make you happy to give more.

LOL. Tipping LESS for bad service is understood (to others, not you mafig)

Ok I may get in trouble but here goes, first I have never had a bad butler thank god and hope never to have one. I also say around 5-10 a day. That 3.50 was in effect when I started cruising in 1981, of course I wasn't in a suite but still. On to what may get me in trouble, alot of people(not saying OP) want to get a suite with an upgrade or upsell and then worry about tipping. I say when deciding on whether to get a suite please consider tips for butler and concierge. Your concierge also arrnages special embarkation and disembarkation besides other out of suite help. Your butler will bring you any requests you make to him for your comfort and also snacks, dvd's whatever. Ok let the insanity begin:rolleyes:

Mafig, I am also with you on the starting tipping amounts. My DH and I are very low maintenance and to tell you the truth he doesn't even know that there is a butler and concierge that comes with the cabin. I have no problem tipping for good service so hopefully both the butler and concierge will provide. I do plan to use the priority tender service and probably a few breakfasts in the cabin but that will probably be it.

Mafig, I am also with you on the starting tipping amounts. My DH and I are very low maintenance and to tell you the truth he doesn't even know that there is a butler and concierge that comes with the cabin. I have no problem tipping for good service so hopefully both the butler and concierge will provide. I do plan to use the priority tender service and probably a few breakfasts in the cabin but that will probably be it.

Actually, the priority tendering and disembarkation at ports are services already in place for suite guests. We just went to the concierge lounge and put our name on the list. Really, even the newest, lowest paid person on the ship could have handled putting the name on the list, and calling us to the elevator. But whatever. It's accepted to tip, so I do it, and don't even give it another thought. part of being on vacation, and part of the cost.

Archived