Question about Livorno

flip

Some will tell you of the charms of Livorno. But, having spent many months in Italy and having driven more than 10,000 miles within the country (including around Livorno) the city of Livorno is a place we feel worthy of a pass. If Livorno was sitting all by itself with nothing within hours, than we would spend time in this town. But when one considers that Livorno is a gateway port to Tuscany (with many amazing places) its hard to justify spending any time in this port city. I will list a few reasons why we never recommend staying in Livorno.....Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Sienna, Volterra, S222 wine road, Cinque Terre, and there is even more. Livorno would rate below all of these places in our humble opinion.

Hank

Some will tell you of the charms of Livorno. But, having spent many months in Italy and having driven more than 10,000 miles within the country (including around Livorno) the city of Livorno is a place we feel worthy of a pass. If Livorno was sitting all by itself with nothing within hours, than we would spend time in this town. But when one considers that Livorno is a gateway port to Tuscany (with many amazing places) its hard to justify spending any time in this port city. I will list a few reasons why we never recommend staying in Livorno.....Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Sienna, Volterra, S222 wine road, Cinque Terre, and there is even more. Livorno would rate below all of these places in our humble opinion.

Hank

Have you done Lucca on your own? When you arrive, did you walk from the train station or did you take a bus or taxi into town? Thanks

Have you done Lucca on your own? When you arrive' date=' did you walk from the train station or did you take a bus or taxi into town? Thanks[/quote']

We have been to Lucca several times via our rental car and also the train. From the train station it is a short walk (about the same as a 2 block stroll) across the street, through the parking and park areas and into the walled city. For those that like to question my use of "blocks" it is almost exactly 2/10 of a mile from the train station to the nearest gate into the city. If you have a car Lucca is quite convenient since there is plenty of parking just outside the walls. Once inside the walls everything must be done on foot since traffic is very limited. One popular activity for tourists is to rent a bike and ride around the walls. For us, its just a charming town where we can browse the shops and enjoy a nice meal at one of the outdoor cafes.

Hank

I realize this is mainly a port for tours to other regions, but is there anything of interest to see in Livorno? Mainly near the cruise port.

If this is your first visit to this area then I would recommend going to other places such as Pisa or Florence.

However, if you have been to these places before and just want to enjoy a leisurely day in Livorno because you have many other days in port with full day tours planned and just want to take a break from all of the touring then you can spend a nice day in Livorno.

On our last visit, we did just that but we have been here numerous times.

We visited several cathedrals and also a Jewish Synagogue.

Other places we visited included:

The Venezia District which I would highly recommend. This is a wonderful historic district to visit which has antique shops, old merchant houses, shops bridges and canals.

Central Food Market

Museo Fattori which is a public art gallery

We also just walked around the town for quite awhile.

Keith

Archived