U.S. to Issue Terrorism Alert for Travel to Europe

Hey....don't shoot the messenger here:). I didn't write the articles or issue the alert....which as I am sure you know by now was actually issued. Whether I post it here or not it's not like anyone isn't going to know about it....I mean it's all over the internet and tops every news broadcast out there. Perception...it's all about perception...the alert alone will most likely cause damage to the travel industry to Europe...like it or not...me or you don't have to agree with it...but when the Gov makes a broad announcement for Americans in Europe to take caution....well the damage is already done....like it or not.

No problem:)

I didn't see anyone questioning the fact that the alert was being issued, only your choice to emphasize one section of the alert and not the section which explains that they are not advising people not to travel to Europe. You are correct that some will misinterpret the alert and it could have an adverse effect on travel to Europe, but the manner in which you posted the information could also contribute to that mis-perception.

You are correct that some will misinterpret the alert and it could have an adverse effect on travel to Europe, but the manner in which you posted the information could also contribute to that mis-perception.

Since less than 1% of cruisers read cruise critic, I guess it shouldn't matter :confused:

Good gosh! They posted the alert. Now you are aware, make your decisions/plans as you wish and move on. Nobody should be judging the travel plans of others. Be informed, be aware, be safe and have fun.

I agree with this, there is a world of difference and take extra caution should apply to everything to do with travelling, more US tourists are knocked down by cars in London on an annual basis then would ever be hurt in a terrorist attack there - simply because they forget to look right!!

It would also help if they clarified where in Europe, not very helpful to generalise a continent of over 50 countries and it may be a surprise to know that travel advisorys to the US do also get issued by our goverments from time to time too.

Happy travelling :)

And didn't read, or pay attention to, the arrows and warnings about which way to look that you Brits so kindly painted on the edge of the streets and sidewalks for us!:D

I think the general anger to the original post is as much aimed at the American department who issued the warning as it is the OP although it was a little selective in it's quote.

Have we all suddenly started talking to each other in worried tones over here (in the Uk)? Nope. Is there any feeling of increased danger? Nope. Have we seen a sudden increase in the number of armed officers patrolling our streets and public spaces? Nope.

The fact is far more tourists are going to die from bullets whilst in America than will perish from terrorist acts in Europe. Actually things have the potential to quieten down a little in Europe. The Basque group ETA is trying to show it has distanced it's self from terrorism and to date they are probably the largest terrorist threat and the group responsible for the most deaths in Europe.

I hear no such claims from the armed robbers, drug dealers and psychopaths who roam the streets of Miami, New York, Los Angeles or any other large settlement across America. The difference is that as European tourists we see things in perspective.

I love cruising with Americans for any number of reasons not least of which is their ability add atmosphere to a live performance and their lack of cynicism when seeing a fellow passenger murder a song on the karaoke but I do think Americans get things a little out of perspective when it comes to terrorist threats to the point where inefficient vetting methods at airports which cause massive delays are seen as a good thing on the grounds that the longer you stand in a queue the more thorough must be the checks :)

Here in the Uk we have been under threat for as long as we can remember. The IRA, Al Quaeda, even animal liberation activists! But so has the rest of the world. If we were to believe our media every American school is harbouring a crazed maniac ready to come to school guns blazing, every neighbourhood a gang about to perform a drive by in which we will get caught in the crossfire and every traffic light a drug addict looking to blow you away for the price of their next fix.

Yet still we drive the streets of Miami pre or après cruise. And I'm not even packing!!

Keep smiling everyone.

Henry :)

And just when was Europe off the radar?:rolleyes: There have been many more terrorist attacks in Europe over the past decades than in the US, so it does us little good to gloat over one person's inappropriate response to 9-11.

And while her demeanor may have been reprehensible, her message that we, Americans, were previously ignorant of the very real dangers that are out there, was pretty accurate.

There is nothing wrong with warning travelers of potential problems in Europe or any other part of the world (NYC perhaps?) except when the warning is used to further a person's personal agenda of opposition to the deployment of ships in locations other than in the US or when only a portion of the article is highlighted that distorts the actual message contained in the alert. Those oblivious travelers you mention will be only more oblivious if they read only that portion of the report and fail to absorb the entire message.

Who was "gloating"?

And I don't think we were "ignorant" of problems in Europe or anywhere else in the world. The US has had troops in many countries, for many, many years, helping to protect those citizens from all sorts of ills. No we didn't have the kind of terror on our soil that we have now seen.

I don't know the OP and I don't know that he/she has an agenda of any kind.

Who was "gloating"?

And I don't think we were "ignorant" of problems in Europe or anywhere else in the world. The US has had troops in many countries, for many, many years, helping to protect those citizens from all sorts of ills. No we didn't have the kind of terror on our soil that we have now seen.

I don't know the OP and I don't know that he/she has an agenda of any kind.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your statement about Europe being "back on the radar" and misread your concern about how that French woman now feels.:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with posting warnings for travelers.

Far too many people are oblivious when they travel. I think people do need to be extra vigilant in these volatile times.

I remember being on a cruise just after 9-11 and a woman from France was nearly giddy that America had been attacked and pointed out that Americans would find out what it was like to be a target around the world.:eek:

Wonder how she is feeling now that Europe is on the radar.:(

You really should study some recent european history before you post. Countries in europe have have had to deal with various forms of terrorism long before Al Qaeda and post 9-11 issues.

To frame the current security concerns in terms of "us and them" and "how do they NOW feel" is both juvenile and pointless.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your statement about Europe being "back on the radar" and misread your concern about how that French woman now feels.:rolleyes:

I wasn't "concerned" about how she feels.

I was merely pointing out that Europe is now under attack from the same forces that attacked America. When she made her statement she seemed "happy" that America was suffering. I was just wondering if her views have changed at all.

"Just a few abbreviations: IRA, ETA, RAF, OAS, GIA, to name a few... "...uh huh...I guess I think that Al Qaeda is a bit different.

"The sad thing is that most western countries (not just US) really think they are in certain non-Western countries to help, whilst their citizens don't see it that way at all, hence causing all kinds of tension. People who are desperate and feel they have nothing to loose resort to terrorist violence. But there is a time and a place to have such a discussion, and Cruise Critic is not the right forum to do that."

Even sadder is that the US is criticized for not doing enough and then when we do something we are criticized for that as well.

Maybe we need to try some isolationism for awhile and let everyone fend for themselves and see how things pan out.;)

Archived