Thinking about booking with HAL...convince me.

Terre

As fairly "sold" on Princess, we did our first HAL cruise earlier this year 10 day Mexico Baja. We enjoyed HAL alot, the decor of the ship (Oosterdam) was unique and not as generic as I would say Princess ships are. Service similar, food similar, I think HAL tried to be a little more formal - more uniformed people - I think our stateroom was larger than anything we've had on Princess (except suites). I dont think you could go wrong with HAL - we are still die hard Princess fans but have chosen the HAL Alaska trip for next year. I say go for it!

I found on Princess there is more up sale on items, then on HAL. I'll sailed Princess 5 times. It's seems they want to sale you items on the ship around every corner. This is mine main different between the too.

We've been on HAL, Celebrity and Regent (which I'll have to win the lotto to go on again).

I like the beds, cabin size, food and crew better on HAL than Celebrity.

I like the public rooms, cocktails and specialty restaurants better on Celebrity than HAL.

I like wine with dinner and the unlimited wine "allowance" to bring on board HAL beats Celebrity's 2 bottles per cabin only rule hands down.

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that over all, HAL just "felt good". Can't quantify it or justify it - just how I feel. Would I sail Celebrity again for price/itinerary? Of course. You just have to choose what is important to you and your traveling companions. Good luck with your choice!

Looking at your signature, you have already sailed on a variety of cruise lines, so you may as well add HAL to your list.

I am a Princess fan and we sailed on HAL Noordam in August.

There are three things that we rated HAL higher than Princess - food, beds and the library. The food really is good in all of their venues.

Other than that, everything is very similar. I prefer the beautiful, spacious atrium on The Piazza on Princess ships. We love the International Cafe and Vines, too. Princess ships feel more open.

We had always heard about the wonderful service on HAL, but for us, we did not think it was anything special. We have always had exceptional service, room stewards, etc. on Princess.

I am glad we tried HAL and would sail on HAL again if the itinerary and price are right.

I cruised Celebrity Equinox last December and HAL Amsterdam in June. For me, Celebrity wins hands down on service. It's not that HAL was bad, but -X- was much better. Celebrity catered much better to my dietary requirements. The cold beverage and wet towel waiting for you at the pier on returning from a hot day on shore was a nice extra.

I chose HAL for the itinerary and would do that again.

If you need convincing, then perhaps HAL isn't the cruise line for you. Perhaps better to just go with your gut.

We cruised on Princess and that was fine, but tried HAL next and have been hooked ever since. It comes down to the fact that we just feel comfortable...it's a good fit. We like the fact that it looks and feels like a ship...wood and brass, etc.

It just depends upon what you like, I guess.

We just returned from our first HAL cruise--20 days on the Noordam in the Med--and for us, the big difference was the crew. We noticed it immediately in the care and compassion that was shown to a very elderly member of a family group dining together that first day. Even the stewards delivering 6:00 a.m. room service were as hospitality oriented as the wonderful hotel manager, Mark Pells. Any crew member we contacted throughout the day had the same friendly smile and warm greeting. It was truly a noticeable and very appreciated difference in our cruise experience.

We are looking at the Eurodam in November. Convince me...Why do you like HAL? How does it compare with Princess, RCI, Celebrity or Carnival?

What's your favorite thing about HAL?

Posters are not sales people for the cruise lines needing to "convince" other posters. But you know this already. After over 2800 posts I'm sure you have done enough homework to make an intelligent decision whether HAL fits your lifestyle or not. If you go you will really have a great time.

Thank you everyone for your comments and comparisons...they were all very helpful. I think we most likely will book the cruise and it sounds like HAL is close to Princess and Celebrity that we will like it.

We've been concerned about the average age on HAL, but I think the other things outweight this...just one more question. Is there enough going on past 10:00 p.m. around the ship? This has been an issue for us on Celebrity.

Again, thanks so much for your comments.

Thank you everyone for your comments and comparisons...they were all very helpful. I think we most likely will book the cruise and it sounds like HAL is close to Princess and Celebrity that we will like it.

We've been concerned about the average age on HAL, but I think the other things outweight this...just one more question. Is there enough going on past 10:00 p.m. around the ship? This has been an issue for us on Celebrity.

Again, thanks so much for your comments.

According to some previously posted statistics, the average age for HAL cruisers is 5 years younger than Celebrity or Princess. If you are looking for a younger crowd, then HAL is for you. However, they typically are not late night ships so you will be disappointed after 10 pm. They are mainly for travelers who choose it for their itineraries and port activities, not necessarily for just the ship activities. HAL does not sound like a good match then for your interests. Scroll down for the "average age" question: http://cruises.affordabletours.com/Info/FAQs.html#x

Celebrity has far more the reputation for later night activities so maybe you need to expand your search to other cruise lines. There are plenty of people who do like Carnival who has earned its fun ship reputation and are the owners of HAL, so you are staying in the family.

"Demanding" we convince you to sail HAL doesn't sound like a good way to make your final decision IMHO.

"Demanding" we convince you to sail HAL doesn't sound like a good way to make your final decision IMHO.

Sorry if you felt I was "demanding" you to convice me, I wasn't demanding...I just wanted honest opinions from those who have sailed with other comparable lines.

Sorry if you felt I was "demanding" you to convice me, I wasn't demanding...I just wanted honest opinions from those who have sailed with other comparable lines.

"Convince me" sounds demanding. IMHO "I would like help in deciding" sounds more like a polite request. IMHO

Regardless, sounds like HAL ships might be too quiet for what you have stated you are looking for. You might like to explore the options at NCL, RCCL or Carnival.

That's the problem with the boards--you can't hear the tone of the request.

Maybe you are right...I'm not quite ready for bed at 10:00 but I don't require an all night party either. (that was written with a sarcastic tone).

Thanks to everyone who gave me your honest opinions and comparisons. I truly appreciate them.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by asking about HAL and I apologize if I did.

Archived