Never sailed NCL

cookie, again this information is totally untrue. You don't have to cruise on any line that doesn't meet what you think are your standards (whaevery that might be) but Epic does have MDRs just like any other line. Are you basing your comments and thoughts on what one person said who hasn't been on the ship and probably knows nothing about it? How sad if you are.

Nita

Nita,

You are absolutely right!! We are all cheerleaders at some point for things we like and are passionate about ,i'm a red sox fan & the hubby is a yankee fan:eek:, but it makes it fun and thats all i honestly look for in a ship. I always find something good to eat & do everywhere i go, im very simple but i guess reading maybe the wrong information will probably lead me elsewhere, but i promise to do my home work and not just take in the negatives i heard of NCL. Im in NJ so going out of NY is great but i dont like their itineraries so i was thinking of the Dawn for the itinerary out of Miami and i will still keep it in mind. I have taken 8 Carnival, one RCCL and i would like to try NCL and i am the type of person to make lemonade out of lemons:D So my search will continue for a cruise in march/april 2011 and i will choose based on itinerary and "honest" reviews.

Thanks Nita for a great point!

Just to keep this balanced, here is the information about EPIC I found on another website.. Please keep in mind that I did "not" mention EPIC. I was speaking strictly to my experience on Pearl.

Fans of NCL's "Freestyle Cruising" will love the 20 different dining options on the Norwegian Epic. The ship does not even have a dining room with traditional assigned seating. However, the 600-seat Manhattan Room, which is a lovely art deco supper club, is open for breakfast and dinner and looks much like a traditional cruise ship main dining room. The meals at the Manhattan Room and five other venues are included in basic cruise fare; the other venues have a fixed surcharge or are a la carte.

Remember .. I consistently post that choosing a cruise line is like taste in food.. It's all a matter of prefernece.

Just to keep this balanced, here is the information about EPIC I found on another website.. Please keep in mind that I did "not" mention EPIC. I was speaking strictly to my experience on Pearl.

Fans of NCL's "Freestyle Cruising" will love the 20 different dining options on the Norwegian Epic. The ship does not even have a dining room with traditional assigned seating. However, the 600-seat Manhattan Room, which is a lovely art deco supper club, is open for breakfast and dinner and looks much like a traditional cruise ship main dining room. The meals at the Manhattan Room and five other venues are included in basic cruise fare; the other venues have a fixed surcharge or are a la carte.

Remember .. I consistently post that choosing a cruise line is like taste in food.. It's all a matter of prefernece.

But none of NCL's ships have a dining room with traditional assigned seating. It doesn't say there are no main dining rooms.

Your reading comprehension is off. They do have a main dining room. There's no "traditional assigned seating." It's freestyle, like all of NCL's main dining rooms. You perhaps read what you wanted to read, not what was stated.:rolleyes:

I just came off of the Epic 10/2, first time NCL cruiser, after having sailed on Carnival and Royal. I felt the food in Manhattan Room and Taste (both included restaurants) were excellent. I felt no need to pay for dinner. We went to Le Bistro one evening simply because we chose to treat ourselves. We both felt the food on NCL surpassed Royal. Manhattan Room, for the most part, had a well dressed crowd (we ate there 3 nights). Women in capris, nice dresses or dress slacks, and men in dress slacks, khakis, polos and nice button-downs. One young man in front of us waiting to get into the Manhattan Room was wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops. He was turned away.

Dress Up or Not night was very mixed. We chose to dress, although we changed later for the White Hot party on deck. Mid-week, in Le Bistro, we saw 2 couples very dressed. One man in a suit, the other a tux, and both women in cocktail dresses. Later in the week, we saw 2 women in full length dresses. I felt very comfortable in dress slacks and heels or a dress most nights, but having the option to wear a denim skirt later in the week when I caught a cold and didn't feel like dressing was a nice option to have. Freestyle is exactly that. Dress if you're in the mood to dress or are celebrating a special occasion, and don't dress if you choose not to. If you don't want to dress, Taste is a very nice (included) restaurant with same menu as Manhattan Room. We enjoyed that as well.

Entertainment beats the other 2 cruise lines I've sailed. I spread everything out through the week, so it was something different every night, as well as late nights at Fat Cats and Howl at the Moon, and of course, the fun, energetic deck parties. The water slides can't be beat for daytime fun!

My sister and I were trying to decide if we liked Epic or Liberty of the Seas better. We couldn't choose. They are very different ships which offer very different experiences. Very difficult to choose one over the other. If you want a different experience vs. what you may be used to, definitely sail this ship.

We loved the Epic. My review will be posted in the review section as soon as it is approved.

Archived