Never sailed NCL

Hi,

I've been on 5 cruises. All have been with RCCL. We are considering NCL for our next cruise. I'm pretty sure the Epic would be the best fit for us. If anyone has sailed both lines which line do you prefer? Are there food options,outside of the main dining room that aren't an additional charge? Is room service included?

Thanks for answering my questions. Happy cruising!

Hi,

I've been on 5 cruises. All have been with RCCL. We are considering NCL for our next cruise. I'm pretty sure the Epic would be the best fit for us. If anyone has sailed both lines which line do you prefer? Are there food options,outside of the main dining room that aren't an additional charge? Is room service included?

Thanks for answering my questions. Happy cruising!

It really isn't important which line I (or anyone else) prefer...what MATTERS is which line YOU prefer. And not knowing what your likes/needs are with regard to cruising, I (nor anyone else) can not make a recommendation that would apply to you.

What is it that you like about RCCL? What is it that you dislike? What are your "musts" in a cruise? What are your "must nots"?

On NCL ships there are a number of included food options outside of the two main restaurants. There are also a number of optional restaurants available for an additional charge.

Room service is, of course, included at no cost. However, a small tip is suggested.

I cruised on RADIANCE of the SEAS with Royal Caribbean, as well as the SUN and STAR on Norwegian. We loved ALL of 3 them and would sail with both lines again -- as well as Princess and Disney!

The biggest difference between RCI and NCL is not having to pack a suit and dress shoes on my NCL cruises! :D That, combined with "freestyle" dining and better prices for our desired itineraries, has kept us going back to NCL as our choice the past couple years.

To answer your questions, Room Service is included on the NCL cruises, and there has always been a large Buffet and at least (1) other dining location (Blue Lagoon, O'Sheehans) serving unique, more casual or snack menu items (fish and chips, soups, chicken wings, burgers, etc) that was free of any additional charge.

On NCL you also have the largest number of other "Specialty" Dining Rooms that you can pay an additional fee to enjoy, though we rarely do.

We're heading back to NCL again this year on the EPIC, but it certainly was not the only ship or cruise line we considered. It will be fun to experience a new ship with such a unique design and great entertainment choices!

No suit or shoes:eek:...Does NCL allow shorts & flip flops in the dining room?

We are planning our next cruise on the NCL Dawn after cruising Carnival and RCCL. I think it would be a good choice considering the size of the ship ( i don't like smaller ships). Ok so i'll tell you what I like in other ships and you tell me if the Dawn will be for me....

Large Ship

Set Dinning time @ the Dining Room

Specialty Dining

Formal Nights

Pool Games to watch

Latin Music in at least one lounge

Nice spacious showers (for 2 :))

Great Drinks

Great fellow travelers

LOTS OF Lounges with all night dancing:D

OH and the FOOD, honestly not a main thing for me I find something good to eat ON ALL ships, no complaints yet.

So? would I like the Dawn??

No suit or shoes:eek:...Does NCL allow shorts & flip flops in the dining room?

We are planning our next cruise on the NCL Dawn after cruising Carnival and RCCL. I think it would be a good choice considering the size of the ship ( i don't like smaller ships). Ok so i'll tell you what I like in other ships and you tell me if the Dawn will be for me....

Large Ship

Set Dinning time @ the Dining Room

Specialty Dining

Formal Nights

Pool Games to watch

Latin Music in at least one lounge

Nice spacious showers (for 2 :))

Great Drinks

Great fellow travelers

LOTS OF Lounges with all night dancing:D

OH and the FOOD, honestly not a main thing for me I find something good to eat ON ALL ships, no complaints yet.

So? would I like the Dawn??

1. no shorts for dinner in dining room

2. Dawn not really a small ship, but compared to some of the larger ships

3. no set dining times in dining room

4. 5-6 speciality dining venues

5. dress up or not night

6. no pool games

7. last 2 cruises on Dawn they had latin music

8. small showers unless in mini suite (full tub), suites had tub and shower

9. :D drinks check

10. :Dnew friends, check

11. dancing, check

12. food good choices and options

Enjoy the Dawn

I cruised on RADIANCE of the SEAS with Royal Caribbean, as well as the SUN and STAR on Norwegian. We loved ALL of 3 them and would sail with both lines again -- as well as Princess and Disney!

The biggest difference between RCI and NCL is not having to pack a suit and dress shoes on my NCL cruises! :D That, combined with "freestyle" dining and better prices for our desired itineraries, has kept us going back to NCL as our choice the past couple years.

To answer your questions, Room Service is included on the NCL cruises, and there has always been a large Buffet and at least (1) other dining zlocation (Blue Lagoon, O'Sheehans) serving unique, more casual or snack menu items (fish and chips, soups, chicken wings, burgers, etc) that was free of any additional charge.

On NCL you also have the largest number of other "Specialty" Dining Rooms that you can pay an additional fee to enjoy, though we rarely do.

We're heading back to NCL again this year on the EPIC, but it certainly was not the only ship or cruise line we considered. It will be fun to experience a new ship with such a unique design and great entertainment choices!

I enjoyed reading your post and I think you were reading my mind. We have cruised on six mass market lines, but not Disney. We prefer NCL for their Freestyle and I am really looking forward to boarding EPIC in less than two weeks. I don't have a countdown clock but believe me....I'm counting down the days.

1. no shorts for dinner in dining room

2. Dawn not really a small ship, but compared to some of the larger ships

3. no set dining times in dining room

4. 5-6 speciality dining venues

5. dress up or not night

6. no pool games

7. last 2 cruises on Dawn they had latin music

8. small showers unless in mini suite (full tub), suites had tub and shower

9. :D drinks check

10. :Dnew friends, check

11. dancing, check

12. food good choices and options

Enjoy the Dawn

We have cruised on Dawn three times and have cruised on HAL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity and RCCL on all newer ships. The one thing about the newer NCL ships (Star/Dawn class and newer) that I have always liked is the size of their shower even in their standard category cabins. The shower stalls are rectangular in shape and have a lovely etched glass sliding door on them. Very roomy for one person, certainly much more roomy than showers in standard cabins on other mass market lines. NCL's showers are the roomiest in the standard cabin category, including the inside cabins. They are lovely.

NOTE: Have not cruised on Disney so I don't know about the size of their showers.

I've sailed most of the larger lines at one time or another over more years than I care to admit. Choice of a cruise line is like food preferences. Everyone has different likes, wants, needs or desires for their vacation. If you have cruised on RCCL, then you'll need to be prepared. There is a big difference between the 2 cruise lines. If you've become used to staying at a Hilton and now decide to try out a Holiday Inn Express, it's going to be a shocker for you. Do not expect your experiences to be the same on both lines. As RCCL is known for being a cut above the rest mass market lines, you'll see that NCL is more for the economy minded up front. The fares are cheap but wait until you board the ship. My experience on the Pearl, which by the way was a nice ship, small, slightly cramped, but nice, was just ok until they nailed me for anything and everything under the sun. By the time the end of the week came, I added my onboard account expenses to my cruise fare and the grand total would have gotten me on RCCL Oasis of the Seas. Think of RCCL as your Tuxedo and Ball Gown. Think of NCL as your Tee shirt and Daisy Dukes.

I prefer RCCL, Princess and Carnival. Each one for a different set of reasons, each one for a different cruise experience. I've come to learn that Freestyle isn't Free and NCL is not for me.

Best to you on whichever ship you sail and happy sailings.

I've sailed most of the larger lines at one time or another over more years than I care to admit. Choice of a cruise line is like food preferences. Everyone has different likes, wants, needs or desires for their vacation. If you have cruised on RCCL, then you'll need to be prepared. There is a big difference between the 2 cruise lines. If you've become used to staying at a Hilton and now decide to try out a Holiday Inn Express, it's going to be a shocker for you. Do not expect your experiences to be the same on both lines. As RCCL is known for being a cut above the rest mass market lines, you'll see that NCL is more for the economy minded up front. The fares are cheap but wait until you board the ship. My experience on the Pearl, which by the way was a nice ship, small, slightly cramped, but nice, was just ok until they nailed me for anything and everything under the sun. By the time the end of the week came, I added my onboard account expenses to my cruise fare and the grand total would have gotten me on RCCL Oasis of the Seas. Think of RCCL as your Tuxedo and Ball Gown. Think of NCL as your Tee shirt and Daisy Dukes.

I prefer RCCL, Princess and Carnival. Each one for a different set of reasons, each one for a different cruise experience. I've come to learn that Freestyle isn't Free and NCL is not for me.

Please note that if you cruise in a suite on NCL that is a totally different ball game.

By the way, I disagree to choose one line across the board over another line across the board. I sailed RCCL Monarch of the Seas and I would rank it wayyyyy below NCL Jewel, Dawn or Sun.

And not everyone wants a tuxedo and ball gown on vacation... that's why NCL suite life is it for me (also like Celebrity).

Please do Tell.........I have 4 RC cruises under my belt. And I LOVED them all!! But would like to leave from a closer home port this time (New York). And NCL looked like my best option (Maybe). You stated "until they nailed me for anything and everything under the sun". Please tell me.......what did they charge you for? I mean, maybe I need to check out other options. Cost looks reasonable up front, but I don't want to get smacked with any unexpected charges....Please do tell. Thank you.

Please do Tell.........I have 4 RC cruises under my belt. And I LOVED them all!! But would like to leave from a closer home port this time (New York). And NCL looked like my best option (Maybe). You stated "until they nailed me for anything and everything under the sun". Please tell me.......what did they charge you for? I mean, maybe I need to check out other options. Cost looks reasonable up front, but I don't want to get smacked with any unexpected charges....Please do tell. Thank you.

NCL charges extra for exactly the same things other cruiselines charge extra for - drinks, and specialty restaurants and shore excursions. There is a service charge that will be charged to your ship's account but other cruiselines either have a service charge too or you are expected to tip. On NCL no-one "expects" a tip (that is what your service charge is for). We only tip "extra" for exceptional service or if we ask for something above and beyond what might be reasonably expected (therefore we seem to always tip our cabin stewards a little "extra" and have occasionally tipped waiters who were exceptionally good). So - unless YOU want to spend the money - there will be only one additional charge beyond your cruise cost - the daily service charge - per person - $12 a day. On our 2nd NCL cruise we spent approx $50 per person (in total) in addition to our service charge and that included a small additional tip for our steward.

We're sailing on NCL for the first time this January and after grueling work schedules at Christmas I want as laid back as possible. I'm happy I can bring on the wine we like to drink, buy a bar set up if we want and go to dinner when it works for us. We have another RCCL cruise booked for May, 2011 but this time I'll leave the formal and heels at home. Hopefully this experience has us booking another NCL ship at the beginning of 2012. 89 days until New Orleans the New Year and the Spirit...dreams are made of these.

The fares are cheap but wait until you board the ship. My experience on the Pearl, which by the way was a nice ship, small, slightly cramped, but nice, was just ok until they nailed me for anything and everything under the sun. By the time the end of the week came, I added my onboard account expenses to my cruise fare and the grand total would have gotten me on RCCL Oasis of the Seas.

cjm61 as a couple who has only sailed NCL can you elaborate what you were charged for on NCL that you were not charge for on some of the cruiselines listed in your signature? Thanks!:)

Sandi,

My experience for upcharges and additional charges was mainly in the dining options. Although all cruise lines offer alternate dining venues, NCL has the most and they know how to milk you. Check out the NCL Boards.. You will see many posts on the dissatisfaction with all the additional charges. As we are all aware, alternate dining means "For Fee." If you look at the NCL EPIC, there are "no" main dining rooms. $$$$$. In my experienc on the Pearl, the 2 main dining rooms that are "free" were mediocre. Food and service both needed much improvement. When we switched over to the "For Fee" venues, the food and service improved. Not to the level I am accustomed to, but it did improve. So now I am paying for food twice, once in my cruise fare and again every night at "For Fee" venues. Add into that the additional tips you need to leave at the "For Fee" venues. Yes, they've already charged me my prepaid gratuities which is to include wait staff, now I also feel obligated to leave additional tips as I am paying for dinner. Dinner Fee + Tip Fee every night for 7 nights over and above what I already paid.

The Pearl has a Bowling Alley.. Break out the wallet if you want to enjoy that onboard activity.. Drinks, in my experience, were more expensive on NCL than on RCCL, Princess or Carnival... Like I posted previously.. Freestyle is not free and NCL is not for me. Cruise line preferences are like food preferences.. Find the one that offers you what you want to meet your needs, wants, desires and budget and go for it.

P.S. Whoever asked about the NYC departures.. NYC - Carnival & NCL, Brooklyn - Princess and Cunard, Bayonne, NJ - RCCL & Celebrity. (RCCL Explorer of the Seas out of bayonne is wonderful.)

Whatever cruise line you choose, whatever itinerary you sail, safe trip, happy sailing and Bon Voyage...

We are big RCCL fans but over the last two years have sailed the NCL Spririt out of Boston for the exact reason you want to sail out of NY. It was great not to have to take a flight but to just go from home right to the port. That said, I think there are huge differences in the two lines. NCL is way more laid back, great not to have to dress for dinner and to do what you want when you want without the time constraint of having to be at dinner at a certain time. However, I have found that they don't have the breath and depth of activities that RCCL has. Now, hopefully the new EPIC will put them closer to the RCCL line than the other ships and that difference will come to an end. My personal feeling is a cruise is what you make of it.........how bad can it be?

TJAKER11....I should have stopped reading after your answer to my post:) Thank you,

BUT i WENT ON & READ CJM61 post #8 and changed my mind, It's true some people don't want to wear tux & heels(which is not necessary), i'm just talking about an evening dress or pants & the guys with slacks & a shirt. In the evenings I don't want to be in the dining room, lounge or show with people in their pajamas, flip flops & daisy dukes LOL Don't get me wrong I wear those to the beach and at port but not to parade around in the evenings. Hey i'm not old fashioned to any extent (my bikini is smaller than my 24yr olds bikini) I just like classy people, So CJM61 I guess I belong to the Tux&gown group you mentioned:)

Thanks for the information guys But I think NCL can wait a little longer, specially when their best ship The Epic, has only specialty restaurants $$. We eat at the specialty restaurants in all our cruises, but because we want to, not because we have to! Happy Sailings to All

Sandi,

My experience for upcharges and additional charges was mainly in the dining options. Although all cruise lines offer alternate dining venues, NCL has the most and they know how to milk you. Check out the NCL Boards.. You will see many posts on the dissatisfaction with all the additional charges. As we are all aware, alternate dining means "For Fee." If you look at the NCL EPIC, there are "no" main dining rooms. $$$$$. In my experienc on the Pearl, the 2 main dining rooms that are "free" were mediocre. Food and service both needed much improvement. When we switched over to the "For Fee" venues, the food and service improved. Not to the level I am accustomed to, but it did improve. So now I am paying for food twice, once in my cruise fare and again every night at "For Fee" venues. Add into that the additional tips you need to leave at the "For Fee" venues. Yes, they've already charged me my prepaid gratuities which is to include wait staff, now I also feel obligated to leave additional tips as I am paying for dinner. Dinner Fee + Tip Fee every night for 7 nights over and above what I already paid.

The Pearl has a Bowling Alley.. Break out the wallet if you want to enjoy that onboard activity.. Drinks, in my experience, were more expensive on NCL than on RCCL, Princess or Carnival... Like I posted previously.. Freestyle is not free and NCL is not for me. Cruise line preferences are like food preferences.. Find the one that offers you what you want to meet your needs, wants, desires and budget and go for it.

P.S. Whoever asked about the NYC departures.. NYC - Carnival & NCL, Brooklyn - Princess and Cunard, Bayonne, NJ - RCCL & Celebrity. (RCCL Explorer of the Seas out of bayonne is wonderful.)

Whatever cruise line you choose, whatever itinerary you sail, safe trip, happy sailing and Bon Voyage...

I thought the 'Taste' and 'Manhattan' were the main (no fee) dining rooms?

Ok, the Freestyle Concept is being misguided by some of the posters. The Freestyle Concept with NCL means simply "Free to Do Whatever", no schedules, no clocks, no worries. Also, free to dress formal, or not. Freestyle is not meant to mean once you get on the ship everything is free. Of course, there are extra options that require an extra fee, however, these are extras and not required as part of your cruise experience. The tips that are applied to your onboard account are the only extra fees that are required. NCL makes this clear to all potential passengers and I believe many cruise lines also use this tip method. The other spending options are just that options. The NCL staff does not constantly bother you to spend additional monies. They will ask if you need a drink when you are sitting in a lounge or out on deck. Other than that there are no aggressive sales force in effect. I hope this clears up some of the confusion regarding Freestyle. I personally, love the Freestyle Concept and wouldn't want it any other way. However, I fully understand the Freestyle Concept is not for all! :)

Sandi,

Excuse me, but YES there ARE FREE main dining rooms on Epic! Manhattan Room is more formal with a dance band and dance floor--think NY Supper Club, while Taste is informal but same menu. O'Sheehan's is free and a Pub atmosphere. Garden Cafe is the buffet...

Yes, we did activities that cost, like the bowling, Bingo, Slots, Spa package and 1 fee extra dinner for a type of dining we do not have at home, but we could just as easily have had a great time and good ffod on this cruise and only paid the $12/person/day service charge, which, after the great service we received from our steward and all the food staff, was a bargain...

If you look at the NCL EPIC, there are "no" main dining rooms. $$$$$.

This is just plain WRONG.

I haven't even been on the ship yet, but one look at the EPIC website clearly shows that there are TWO Main Dining Rooms, a Buffet, and a Pub that there is no charge to dine in.

Sandi,

I really don't understand if you have already decided that NCL is not for you why do you have any interest in coming to the NCL board? I do not mean this to offend or criticize as we all have our preferences and it seems your's are with other lines. I'm just curious as to why you would be looking on here.

I find more than enough to read on the NCL boards (which I decided was best suited for us as we like the freestyle concept to do whatever we want/when we want/with whom we want) than I have time for. I don't have any desire to go to the other boards as it isn't likely for me to change lines.

As I said no harm meant... I hope all of your cruises are happy ones.:D

I really don't understand if you have already decided that NCL is not for you why do you have any interest in coming to the NCL board? I do not mean this to offend or criticize as we all have our preferences and it seems your's are with other lines. I'm just curious as to why you would be looking on here.

I find more than enough to read on the NCL boards (which I decided was best suited for us as we like the freestyle concept to do whatever we want/when we want/with whom we want) than I have time for. I don't have any desire to go to the other boards as it isn't likely for me to change lines.

As I said no harm meant... I hope all of your cruises are happy ones.:D

Not sure if you are directing your question/comment to me or cjm61.......Looks like cjm61 has NCL expierence, so I value their opinion.

If your asking me why I am on the NCL boards, I already answered that on my first post....... I am looking for something closer to home. And I personally enjoy smaller ships. Where else would you like me to go to find out information on NCL? Yes, I LOVE RCCL and if it would work out for me to do that route I would. But it doesn't suit my needs at this time, so, I am willing and able to try a different cruise line.

Your comment "I'm just curious as to why you would be looking on here". Is that really any of your concern.....boy i hope not everyone on the NCL boards think like you. GEESH!!

Sorry for asking questions.

Now back to my reason for being on the NCL Boards........

We are looking at the Gem that leaves out of New York, has anyone sailed on her, did you like it? Is it a decent boat for a 7 and 14 year old (things to keep them occupied)? What is the cost for bowling? Where can I find pictures of the rooms? We are looking at a 1 Balcony and 1 Ocean view deck 8 AFT (5 of us sailing....maybe 6). I always tip, so tipping is not an issue with me. My room Steward is always handed an extra $20 at the beginning, and they always keep me happy for the rest of the cruise (keep my ice bucket full please). Does the main dining room have open seating? Is there seating beside windows to look out @ the Ocean? How many decks are on the Gem? I am having a hard time finding this info on the NCL website.

Thanks for everyones input, it is Greatly Appreciated!!!

Sandi,

you know, we all realize there are many cruise lines and what works for one may not work for another, but to down right post incorrect information should not even be allowed. First you say the MDR were not fit for your tastes, then you say you had to pay for speicalty dining rooms 7 nights, if you ate in the sur charge dining rooms 7 nights, how do you know what was good or bad in the main dining rooms, you do not. second you had to tip twiice, there is absolutely nothing that requires or even suggest extra tips. Many of do tip extra because the service in the specialty dining rooms gernerally is top notch. This was not our experience on Princess, but that is for a different board altogether. The worst of your statements: EPIC has no free or MDRs. That is plain and simply untrue. Can you come back and tell us where you got that information? It is interesting you would decide to post here when the only NCL cruise you have taken was over 2 and 1/2 years ago. Posting untrue or incorrect information is doing a disservice to anyone trying to learn about cruising.

Nita

TJAKER11....I should have stopped reading after your answer to my post:) Thank you,

BUT i WENT ON & READ CJM61 post #8 and changed my mind, It's true some people don't want to wear tux & heels(which is not necessary), i'm just talking about an evening dress or pants & the guys with slacks & a shirt. In the evenings I don't want to be in the dining room, lounge or show with people in their pajamas, flip flops & daisy dukes LOL Don't get me wrong I wear those to the beach and at port but not to parade around in the evenings. Hey i'm not old fashioned to any extent (my bikini is smaller than my 24yr olds bikini) I just like classy people, So CJM61 I guess I belong to the Tux&gown group you mentioned:)

Thanks for the information guys But I think NCL can wait a little longer, specially when their best ship The Epic, has only specialty restaurants $$. We eat at the specialty restaurants in all our cruises, but because we want to, not because we have to! Happy Sailings to All

cookie, again this information is totally untrue. You don't have to cruise on any line that doesn't meet what you think are your standards (whaevery that might be) but Epic does have MDRs just like any other line. Are you basing your comments and thoughts on what one person said who hasn't been on the ship and probably knows nothing about it? How sad if you are.

Nita

Archived