1 parent w/DD and ziplining

kml2000

I need some advice. My DD (17) wants to zip line on our cruise. This is not something I will do, no convincing me that I want to do it either. As a single Mom of many years, I have done LOTS of things that are outside of my comfort zone, but this is NOT one of them. Can anyone give me advice on how to safely let my daughter do this.

I thought about Roatan because I have heard it is right at the dock. However, I am not so sure about putting her in a van by herself to ride to the top of the mountain. I would go with her, if they would shuttle me back down in the van.

Any ideas???

I need some advice. My DD (17) wants to zip line on our cruise. This is not something I will do, no convincing me that I want to do it either. As a single Mom of many years, I have done LOTS of things that are outside of my comfort zone, but this is NOT one of them. Can anyone give me advice on how to safely let my daughter do this.

I thought about Roatan because I have heard it is right at the dock. However, I am not so sure about putting her in a van by herself to ride to the top of the mountain. I would go with her, if they would shuttle me back down in the van.

Any ideas???

I don't believe ziplining is available at the dock in Roatan. you may have heard about the aerial transportation that takes you from the pier to the man made beach.

You can go on a tour with your daughter and she can zip line and you can choose not to, you will only be seperated while she does the traverses.

I don't believe ziplining is available at the dock in Roatan. you may have heard about the aerial transportation that takes you from the pier to the man made beach.

You can go on a tour with your daughter and she can zip line and you can choose not to, you will only be seperated while she does the traverses.

Yes it is, it's right across from the parking lot where all the taxis and shuttles are.

Our family of 6 will be on a cruise over Thanksgiving. We are planning a zipline/cave tubing excursion in Belize. My MIL who is 77, will not be doing either.

This is her first cruise and we didn't want to have her just sitting on the ship. Our tour guide,Nacho, said for $25 she can ride with him and have her own private tour time while we are doing ours. This will work out great. I have heard he is a awesome tour guide and she will find out everything she ever wanted to know about Belize.

in terms of safety, there are always unforseen circumstances that can arise but ziplining if proper precautions are taken is safe. i am unsure about the ziplining at roatan. of course accidents can always happen, as in 2008 :(

zip line tours with reviews

tripadvisor

http://www.roatanonline.com/roatan_jungle_zip_line_canopy_tour.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d572970-Reviews-Roatan_Canopy_Tour-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

We did the zipline in roatan. It is really a basic zipline. Not very high. I am afraid of heights but wanted to do it with the kids. I was NOT afraid at all on the zipline. Even my 65 year old mom went ziplining with us.

ry%3D400

My mom. They even put a little special shoulder harness on her to help her.

ry%3D400

Here's me. You can see the ground here. Its not very high.

ry%3D400

DH and the girls acting goofy.

Maggie

Also, did you "make friends" with anyone on your roll call? We happened to be doing the zipline at the same time as a group from our roll call. We didn't plan it that way, just showed up at the same time and were put in the same group. You kind of travel together on the lines as a small group. So maybe your DD could go with someone from your roll call that is also going?

Maggie

Check out zip and clip, in Roatan, very close to the dock in Mahogany Bay, I am taking my boys 9 and 10. :eek: I am sure you could e mail them with your questions, I have asked a few myself and they e mailed back very quickly. Seem to be very accomodating. I do believe you can go as a spectator, but check with them.

EMOSEWA:cool:

We are doing the zipline in Roatan in a few weeks.

I booked thru Island Marketing to zip with South Shore Canopy and then to the beach at West End. There are six people in my party and only two are ziplining. There is a discount for just being an observer. I am over 50 and plump and I checked out several places before picking this one. I believe it was $55 to zipline and $20 to observe and go on to West End. You may be able to just zipline, and not go to West End, but you are suppose to be able to snorkel right off the beach in shallow water or swim out to the reef. If your daughter wants a real zipline exeperience, I suggest going with South Shore Canopy. They have appx 13 stations and a few nice long ones. I did not book directly with South Shore, but instead used Island Mkt. because I have used them in the past and their refund policies are very clear and concise.

Thanks for all the hints. I may check into Island Marketing.

I am in my 40's and "fluffy" :D . The REAL issue is that I am very afraid of heights and do NOT like "drops" (Tower of Terror type stuff). I am completely stressed out to even THINK about zip lining. I won't subject myself to that from now until my cruise. Like I said, I have done lots of things outside of my comfort zone for my DD, but this is just not one of them.

I may looking into Island Marketing in Roatan.

Thanks again.

Check out zip and clip, in Roatan, very close to the dock in Mahogany Bay, I am taking my boys 9 and 10. :eek: I am sure you could e mail them with your questions, I have asked a few myself and they e mailed back very quickly. Seem to be very accomodating. I do believe you can go as a spectator, but check with them.

EMOSEWA:cool:

Definitely contact clip n zip. They have a nice website - contact then thru there. As far as being "fluffy"- my 275 lbs (5'2'') BIL zipped with us in Jamaica, along with his 8/9 year old kids. If they could do it, you can. And my dh will be doing it with us in Roatan. No one can be more afraid of hts than he is! What impressed me about clip and zip is that they will have someone "partner" down with you if you are terrified or have another problem. (clipped together) Check out their website - call/e-mail them!

If you don't feel comfortable, just observe. I am terrified of heights as well, but I love parasailing and ziplining. Don't stress yourself out. You can just watch and she can zip and you can both still be together. Have a great cruise. you are not going until March? I am going in 19 days. I will come back and tell you how the observers in our group liked it.

We are doing the zipline in Roatan in a few weeks.

I booked thru Island Marketing to zip with South Shore Canopy and then to the beach at West End. There are six people in my party and only two are ziplining. There is a discount for just being an observer. I am over 50 and plump and I checked out several places before picking this one. I believe it was $55 to zipline and $20 to observe and go on to West End. You may be able to just zipline, and not go to West End, but you are suppose to be able to snorkel right off the beach in shallow water or swim out to the reef. If your daughter wants a real zipline exeperience, I suggest going with South Shore Canopy. They have appx 13 stations and a few nice long ones. I did not book directly with South Shore, but instead used Island Mkt. because I have used them in the past and their refund policies are very clear and concise.

Ditto on this idea. I did the South Shore Canopy a couple of years ago, with an included trip to West Bay beach. This was the best shore excursion I have ever done. I think we booked through shoretrips, but that has been a couple of years so they may have changed names or something. One of the members of our group did not do the zipline, and it was no problem at all. He just rode with the van driver to the bottom of the "hill" to pick us up. I'm not sure if he got a discount on the price or not.

Here is a link to the review of that cruise. The zipline review starts on page 4.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809039&page=4

Have a great trip!

I might be wrong about the port but I think it was Roatan. We thought about taking the excursion and chose not to. While walking around the port area we bumped into the zip line place, it was at the end of the tourist trap area. We paid $20 less than the shore excursion from the ship. The equipment was in good repair. Sitting in the back of a pickup truck as we headed up the hill was uncomfortable, I recommend not sitting on the side. I felt totally safe during the entire experience and had a blast. The zip line consists of two cables that carry the weight and one safety line, they make sure your safety line is always hooked up, even when waiting in line.

Archived