Has Anyone Figured Out the New Carnival Web Site?

near the beach

Well, as I posted earlier, not having the categories actually worked in my favor.

Previously, I couldn't price-match to "twin" cabins on my same deck, because they were considered 4A's due to the free upgrades that you mention. When I booked, those cabins were 4C's. NOW? It's simply an identical twin cabin, on my same deck, mid-ship, and $35pp less. Ka-ching! $70 OBC for me!!! :D

I'd started another post... Call me cRaZy --but I think I like the new system!

Does anyone else have a good experience to report?

I just keep my deck plans from brochures that have all the categories and use that to get cabin numbers, but honestly having been a Carnival cruiser for so many years I think this is the worst I've seen yet. We shouldn't have to do all this work to find a cabin or check prices.

Here's something else I realized - I can't see any decks on the Victory above the Lido Deck. At first I thought they were just sold out for my sailing...but then i realized it would say not available...and the Panorama and Spa deck are missing from the random sampling of other dates that I checked, some nearly a year out. Guess those 8F, 4H and the second half of 8E are hanging out somewhere with 1A cabins in some sort of database limbo.

I had trouble trying to decide if my cabin was Forward or Mid-ship. Decided it was Forward, clicked on Forward, and no cabin. :rolleyes: Went to Mid-ship an there it was! Just printed out my luggage tags and guess what...they say Forward. lol :rolleyes:

Anyway, got our $40 OBC.

UPDATE: Ken, I just checked the deck plans and don't see any difference. Could you direct me to a link?

Maniac....On the Home Page: Ships & Life On Board | The FunShips | your ship | DeckPlans .

To make things difficult, there's a problem with loading the Your ship page - don't click, scroll or breath until the loading is complete!

On each Deck's page of the deckplans next to the color coded Category title is the new Deck-Fwd/Mid/Aft Identifier for that old Category.

ken

Here's something else I realized - I can't see any decks on the Victory above the Lido Deck. At first I thought they were just sold out for my sailing...but then i realized it would say not available...and the Panorama and Spa deck are missing from the random sampling of other dates that I checked, some nearly a year out. Guess those 8F, 4H and the second half of 8E are hanging out somewhere with 1A cabins in some sort of database limbo.

crp640 - I just checked this out for the 12/18/2011 Victory sailing, and there's no problem, so I'm assuming the basic processing must be OK. I did this for 2 Travelers and I used FunSelect and was able to get displays for Inside and Balcony on Panorama & Spa Decks. Mebbe there are no cabins for your number of Travelers or for your Promo Rates on the sailings you checked? or ???

ken

I've noticed (and maybe this has been mentioned before) particularly for an interior cabin that if you select ES you get certain deck and cabin availabilities. If you use the same criteria but use Fun Select instead there are more cabins open on additional decks?? I thought ES was available for the entire ship - not just certain decks.:confused:

I noticed that and I'm researching that quirk? My guess is that the old CAT 1A's, which now have 200% supplement like any other cabin, are going to be merged with all the Inside categorizations & their associated pricing by deck and fwd/mid/aft location - so a "CAT 1A on Deck 3 might in the future be more expensive than a CAT 1A on Deck 1. We'll see. ken

Yes I see your point. That would be rotten since I am on the upper deck with my 1A. But really bunk beds, can they expect people to pay more for a bunk bed. When we booked the price difference was maybe $20 for the standard inside room deck 1 of course.

I have a wait and see attitude right now:rolleyes:

crp640 - I just checked this out for the 12/18/2011 Victory sailing, and there's no problem, so I'm assuming the basic processing must be OK. I did this for 2 Travelers and I used FunSelect and was able to get displays for Inside and Balcony on Panorama & Spa Decks. Mebbe there are no cabins for your number of Travelers or for your Promo Rates on the sailings you checked? or ???

ken

hmmm, must be a browser/cookie/server issue or something - just checked 12/18/2011 and my deck options still only go up to lido with fun select, 2 people, balcony forward. in both firefox and chrome.

or not...just cleared entire chrome browsing history, cache, cookies, etc - reopened it and still not seeing anything above lido. hmm..and ie is no different.

oh well...not that it really matters that much, just increases my distrust of the new site

I've noticed (and maybe this has been mentioned before) particularly for an interior cabin that if you select ES you get certain deck and cabin availabilities. If you use the same criteria but use Fun Select instead there are more cabins open on additional decks?? I thought ES was available for the entire ship - not just certain decks.:confused:

The only thing I can think of is that ES is capacity controlled and certain "categories" may be sold out for ES? ken

hmmm, must be a browser/cookie/server issue or something - just checked 12/18/2011 and my deck options still only go up to lido with fun select, 2 people, balcony forward. in both firefox and chrome.

or not...just cleared entire chrome browsing history, cache, cookies, etc - reopened it and still not seeing anything above lido. hmm..and ie is no different.

oh well...not that it really matters that much, just increases my distrust of the new site

double hmmmm! I'm using Windows 7 and IE 8. I'll retry and see what we might be doing that's different. I can't see this being a cookies issue.

ken

I still don't see where there is a change in the deck plans on the Fun Ships site. :confused:

My expeirence was good! :D

the only difference is that beside the old Color coded Category identifer the new Deck-Fwd/Mid/Aft identifier is added to the right. Specfifically check the Freedom? Maybe you don't have a complete "rollout" of the new layout - pieces of it seem to come and go? ken

oh well...not that it really matters that much, just increases my distrust of the new site - definitely not a programming triumph!!!

When you get to the "Your Deck" Menu, does it not display radio-button choices for Veranda and Spa Decks??? ken

I still don't see where there is a change in the deck plans on the Fun Ships site. :confused:

It's not there for all ships. I just checked on the three cruises I have booked...Spirit... shows both old and new, Paradise... shows both old and new, Dream,, only shows old categories, not the new

It's not there for all ships. I just checked on the three cruises I have booked...Spirit... shows both old and new, Paradise... shows both old and new, Dream,, only shows old categories, not the new

Not surprising! I can't understand why they cannot change everything impacted with such an update - DeckPlans, ES Form, etc. I'm assumiong the Dream deckplan page was not updated as it's a differnet format than the older ships. ken

When you get to the "Your Deck" Menu, does it not display radio-button choices for Veranda and Spa Decks??? ken

Yeah, no radio buttons for the Panorama or Spa Decks. Shrug, not terribly worried about it - I have faith that if you can see them, one day I'll be able to see them again too. Same thing happens when I looked at the Triumph, but I did get them to show up on the Glory (though they aren't exactly the same buttons as it's deck P and 0 rather than 10 and 11) and the Dream (well, of course there they are cloud 9 spa rooms..so again, different deck numbers).

Maniac....On the Home Page: Ships & Life On Board | The FunShips | your ship | DeckPlans .

To make things difficult, there's a problem with loading the Your ship page - don't click, scroll or breath until the loading is complete!

On each Deck's page of the deckplans next to the color coded Category title is the new Deck-Fwd/Mid/Aft Identifier for that old Category.

ken

the only difference is that beside the old Color coded Category identifer the new Deck-Fwd/Mid/Aft identifier is added to the right. Specfifically check the Freedom? Maybe you don't have a complete "rollout" of the new layout - pieces of it seem to come and go? ken

It's on there now! Funny thing is that it also shows my stateroom as being Deck 8 Midship, when my luggage tag says Forward. The stateroom is at the Forward elevators.

Interesting - over on goccl.com they posted a pdf yesterday highlighting the improvements they are making on the ta travel booking portal -

https://www.goccl.com/content/news_and_alerts/documents/GoCCL_Improved_Features.pdf

check out page 4....far left column...those familiar booking categories.

not that it means anything...the 2010-2012 at a glance brochure posted 9/27 nearly a full month after dominica was removed from the victory's itinerary still lists it as a port (but not st. lucia).

https://www.goccl.com/content/news_and_alerts/documents/At_A_Glance_eBro.pdf

anyway, just noticed that when i was over there looking for their deck plan pdfs - https://www.goccl.com/resourcecenter/PDF/Victory.pdf - (granted you have to zoom in to about 200% to read them, but the are the entire ship all one page)

Watch out all those who book "guarantee inside" LOL.

Actually, you are right on the money. Plus, they've been needing to watch out for a little while now. I'm not sure exactly when they started it, but Carnival has been able to assign a 1A to people booked as an inside guarantee. It used to be a minimum 4A, but that had changed to a minimum 1A before this. Now that the solo supplement for 1As has increased from 150% to 200%, most 1As are not selling anymore, especially the ones without portholes. Solos are instead booking PT or 4A/4B. It doesn't hurt Carnival to not sell 1As, because they know they can put inside guarantees into these rooms, and inside guarantee is almost always going to be a higher price than booking a 1A with ES, so Carnival will profit. It's not the kind of room couples want. I hope no honeymooners have booked inside guarantee.

It's possible that some categories will not be available to book ES, even though most other categories are. On our Triumph cruise coming up, ES went away for our category long before the 3-month cutoff, even though there were still 2 rooms left. Those 2 rooms are still not sold. All other categories were still available to book with ES at the time. So even when ES was available, we couldn't find our category under it, but we could under Fun Select. It just ment no more price drops for us, because Fun Select had it so much higher.

As far as the deck plans issue goes, I'm seeing that they have a description of the deck location (ie, "Deck 7 Midship") next to the "stateroom type" (old categories). But I'm thinking that that's always been there. I've seen this on multiple ships I've checked. Or, it's possible that I'm still seeing the old deck plans only, without the new information added, for some reason.

It's on there now! Funny thing is that it also shows my stateroom as being Deck 8 Midship, when my luggage tag says Forward. The stateroom is at the Forward elevators.

A number of people have reported this - I'm wondering if the Luggage Tag is indicating which Elevator bank the crew is to use to deliver the luggage. ken

Having booked a cruise last week. I have found that cabin categories are still there. Inside cabin, ocean view, balcony, suite, front, mid ship, aft, deck level. For people who have not taken a cruise before these descriptions are easier to understand than 1A, 4A, 6A, 8A or 11. That I can understand. That said after taken a few cruises I think of cabins by category, which means cabin type and location. Instead of going back to the old method they should just add the categories along with the new system.

Archived