Disembarking in Los Angeles

ging466

I don't have specifics for LAX, but (a) I have never disembarked anywhere that SS did not offer bus and private car transfers to the local airport, the bus trip being shared with those having "included" transfers and (b) it was always cheaper to take a cab or organize your own transfer some other way, sometimes much cheaper, more so if there is more than one person of course.

I know if you don't know a city it can be tempting to take the arrangements offered by Silversea but they are a lot more money.

My cab ride to the train station for two of us was C$10 including tip, Silversea wanted US$69 each to get us there.

We had to queue up for a cab for 15 minutes. That was reasonable to save mover US$130.

But had it been a port in South Africa and I hadn't researched the situation fully, I'd use Silversea for the peace of mind.

In LA, there should be cabs or the wait won't be long. We were at the port in Long Beach when I was there with Silversea and the port staff were friendly and helpful so I'd confidently say make your own arrangements.

If we don't drive to LA then we always use the cruise line arrangements. However, there are plenty of cabs at both terminals at the Port of LA in Long Beach. It's @ a 30 minute drive to LAX depending on traffic. I would say that the cab fare would be @ $50-75, but they would take you directly to your terminal at LAX, whereas the SS shuttle would make several stops there. LAX is most often a mad house as far as traffic is concerned.

Jennifer, you have a variety of optons.

Unless you have shipboard credit from a TA that you need to use then I would do this transfer on your own.

If you are going from the Port over to LAX airport do not take a taxi. I would book a private car or a shuttle.

Here are two options.

Execucar. Their web site is http://www.execucar.com and you could request a price quote.

Carey Limousine. Their web site is http://www.carey.com/carey/ and you can also request a price quote.

For a shuttle there is super shuttle and their web site is http://www.supershuttle.com and you can request a price quote. By the way Execucar is a subsidiary of supershuttle.

Getting a taxis is not too difficult at the pier but I would take a car service over the taxi in terms of the price and the convenience.

Keith

Sorry but I have another question...getting off in Los Angeles, San Pedro and Long Beach have been mentioned. Are they one and the same place or separate? I think SS comes into San Pedro but I've got myself all confused and my documents only mention "Los Angeles".:confused:

Thankx

Jennifer

Jennifer, they are two distinct terminals are by car are located about 15 minutes from one another.

Carnival mainly uses the Long Beach pier.

Silversea will use the Port of Los Angeles which is also refered to as World Cruise Center in San Pedro.

Here is a link to take you to the calendar for this port. You can click on the month and then you'll see the berth that Silversea has been assigned.

http://pcsterminals.com/CruiseCalendar.aspx

Keith

Archived