help! single first-timer with 4 kids

juneagain

Hi everybody,

I would like to plan a cruise for me and my 4 kids for June 2011. The kids are 22, 21, 15, and 14. This will be our very first cruise. I don't even know where to start. I'd like to keep it under $1000 per person. The 2 younger are boys and would love meeting other teens. The 2 older get along well and won't mind hanging out with me at least some of the time!

We are from the mid-atlantic and would like to depart from the east coast. I assume we'll need 2 cabins, and I would like a balcony.

Any tips or recommendations for ships, itineraries? Caribbean sounds great, as does Alaska.

I just want all 5 of us to have a great time. As Mom, I want to give them a trip of a lifetime. Thanks.

Hi everybody,

I would like to plan a cruise for me and my 4 kids for June 2011. The kids are 22, 21, 15, and 14. This will be our very first cruise. I don't even know where to start. I'd like to keep it under $1000 per person. The 2 younger are boys and would love meeting other teens. The 2 older get along well and won't mind hanging out with me at least some of the time!

We are from the mid-atlantic and would like to depart from the east coast. I assume we'll need 2 cabins, and I would like a balcony.

Any tips or recommendations for ships, itineraries? Caribbean sounds great, as does Alaska.

I just want all 5 of us to have a great time. As Mom, I want to give them a trip of a lifetime. Thanks.

From a cost perspective, what ports could you easily drive to? I would start my search with cruise lines/itineraries from there. Or, if you must fly, once again, what are the connections and the cost. You mentioned you want a balcony and you probably want an inside across the hall for three of your family. Don't worry about keys, etc., that can be sorted out to your satisfaction once you have boarded but one cabin will need to be in your name and one in the name of the 22 year-old.

In general, you are probably not interested in Disney (everyone too old) or Holland America (everyone to young). Carnival, RCL and Princess are probably your big three. I always advise getting the travel section from the newspaper of the nearest 'big' city. Look at the cruise ads for an idea of what the prices are. We have gotten our best deals (often including airfare) this way. Also look at the websites for cruises you can reach by clicking on ads here on cruise critic. This will help you focus on what you want and what you are willing to pay.

After that, I would say check with a travel agent and pick up some brochures (but Never pay brochure prices!) But, do your homework first. Also, involve the kids. They are certainly old enough to have input. Do they love swimming and the beach? Nature? Kayaking? Shopping? Hiking? Golf? What you choose should be based on maximum enjoyment.

I think you are doing a really special thing! Best of Luck!

Thanks. You've all given me some great advice. I start reading here and before I know it, the whole day has gone by and I've accomplished nothing! So many choices and so much information. I tend to overthink things and then not end up doing them.

Anyway, em, thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Any opinions on Oasis of the Seas?

juneagain - just want to advise you that you will need a notarized letter from the other parent of the 14 and 15-year olds giving you permission to take them on a cruise out of the US. The Oasis has gotten great reviews, and I think it leaves from Miami. Good idea to contact a local travel agent. Good luck to you!

Hi everybody,

two cabins, connecting with balcony and have the door between them opened for more outside room. you really don't need a travel agent, we have booked 7 cruises sans the travel agent and done very well without them. after making your booking check back often as prices change and you could get the best lowest price and as the departure dates get closer like 30 days they then give you on board credit something your travel agent won't do. we book 3 cabins in a row at least a year in advance, all balconies just got $840.00 taken off our cruise price across 3 cabins because we checked.... :)

Thanks for the tip on the price drop. I booked thru Cruises.com. Will they do that for me or should I keep checking with RCCL?

not sure what RCCL policy is. Carnival will match the lowest price for the same accommodation up to the point you make the final payment after which they will give you ship board credit. We booked our 7th cruise over a year ago, it departs in December 2010. As family of 4 our first cruise was in one cabin, we didn't know any better. Every cruise since has been in connecting balcony cabins, the only way to travel with tween boys. Make sure you have the balcony partition opened the extra space is great.

Archived