Lack of Stockholder Benefit

As a loyal Royal Caribbean traveler, we book on board both RCL & =X= and so get the OBC. We are loyal and believe in the Company so by the Stock. Get no dividend for holding the stock.

Now they let you combine Future/next cruise with other coupons for max OBC's. Stockholders still get nothing.

If you are listening (RCI) why not something extra on board for Stockholders. Maybe some extra drinks, internet minutes, bottle of wine, free laundry... I am sure there are many other small perks that RCI could provide that have minimal internal cost.

Maybe we need to start a large list and forward on to RCI.

As a loyal Royal Caribbean traveler, we book on board both RCL & =X= and so get the OBC. We are loyal and believe in the Company so by the Stock. Get no dividend for holding the stock.

Now they let you combine Future/next cruise with other coupons for max OBC's. Stockholders still get nothing.

If you are listening (RCI) why not something extra on board for Stockholders. Maybe some extra drinks, internet minutes, bottle of wine, free laundry... I am sure there are many other small perks that RCI could provide that have minimal internal cost.

The only benefit that I see right now for anyone is the OBC for an OV or below stateroom, but it is mutually exclusive. It is what it is.;)

Wooooaaa I can see some flack incoming.........since when was CC a small discussion board. If you send a letter to RC it will be seen by 1 person, here the post will be seen by, and commented on by many. However the effect will be the same Nothing, Nada, Zero. How do I know that because it has been discussed at lenght both here and at various question opportunities with AG, and the result is the same, (see above) NNZ.

However that does not mean people should give up on the quest, you never know what the future will bring.:D

Maybe your points would get to Royal Caribbean if you actually sent your concerns directly to them in place of trying to gain support on a small discussion board.

Not getting to combine the credits makes it less likely for us to commit to another cruise while onboard. We cruise about once or twice a year and I am not sure a combinable credit would make us book on the ship, but as competitive as the pricing is and as comparable most of the cruise lines are it seems that giving the committed cruisers one more reason to sign up early might be a good policy.

As of June 1, 2010, when booking on board and booking an RCI cruise, you are given the choice of combining "2" RCI benefits......... an OBC for booking plus either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate (if one is available or becomes available for your cruise). Celebrity does not give balcony discounts.

You are also allowed to combine these benefits with OBC from Visa Points, and an OBC from a TA.

This holds true for doing a specific booking or purchasing a Why Not Decide Later booking (aka NextCruise).

"Second, some of our shareholders who are Crown & Anchor members are displeased that the shareholder benefit cannot be used together with Crown & Anchor discounts, including the new onboard booking bonus. We are sorry that this is the case but we cannot modify our approach in this area. In order for the onboard booking bonus to be as robust as possible and to be used together with the Crown & Anchor discounts, we could not allow the shareholder discount to also be used together with it. Please bear in mind that the reason to own our stock is that you believe the stock represents a good investment in connection with your personal investing strategy. The cruise benefit is a nice opportunity to have, if applicable, but not a reason to own the stock."

Can we also petition some other companies? I'd love to get free roaming on my cell phone for AT&T. I'd also appreciate some free mulch for my Home Depot holdings. Maybe a free flight or two for my Southwest stock.

Sorry, but "perks" are not supposed to be the reason for buying stocks. Only a teeny, tiny fraction of stocks give any perk, and among the few that do, the perk is generally nothing substantial. RCCL already has about the best perk out there for their stock, and one only needs a small number of shares to qualify. It is great that they provide this opporruntiy even if it cannot be used in some circumstances.

As for the dividend, RCCL's suspension of the dividend was a great decision. They need the cash to pay down the debt. That helps the company and helps the stock. A dividend is not free money - the money comes in the form of a reduction of the share price in equal amount to the dividend paid. If you want a dividend, sell one share every quarter. I hope they continue to pay down their debt rather than pay out a dividend as that would do far more for my investment.

"Second, some of our shareholders who are Crown & Anchor members are displeased that the shareholder benefit cannot be used together with Crown & Anchor discounts, including the new onboard booking bonus. We are sorry that this is the case but we cannot modify our approach in this area. In order for the onboard booking bonus to be as robust as possible and to be used together with the Crown & Anchor discounts, we could not allow the shareholder discount to also be used together with it. Please bear in mind that the reason to own our stock is that you believe the stock represents a good investment in connection with your personal investing strategy. The cruise benefit is a nice opportunity to have, if applicable, but not a reason to own the stock."

We just booked a cruise while on the Jewel for December, the first cruise since this statement was made............and I have to admit..........we didn't feel any more robust sitting in front of the LA than if I had booked it from home. Only thing that was robust about it was the we got an OBC plus a balcony discount.:D

The "perk" in this case is just as good as a dividend if you utilize it enough. We have owned RCL stock off and no for about 5 years and the money used for the OBC has contributed to a pretty nice return. But it still has to be a good value stock.

Can we also petition some other companies? I'd love to get free roaming on my cell phone for AT&T. I'd also appreciate some free mulch for my Home Depot holdings. Maybe a free flight or two for my Southwest stock.

Sorry, but "perks" are not supposed to be the reason for buying stocks. Only a teeny, tiny fraction of stocks give any perk, and among the few that do, the perk is generally nothing substantial. RCCL already has about the best perk out there for their stock, and one only needs a small number of shares to qualify. It is great that they provide this opporruntiy even if it cannot be used in some circumstances.

Agreed, most people don't understand that point. If it was true, I would be buying "other" stocks that suit my needs for the perks!:D

Some very valid points regarding why to own stock and not to own stocks have been made. But RCI has decided to give OBC to stockholder as a benefit. My thoughts are that they are not equal to all shareholders so I asked could they offer some minimal cost item/service to those stockholders that do not get to utilize the OBC.

Or maybe they should be equal and not offer the Stockholder OBC to anybody and end the whole issue. I would still travel with RCI.

Or maybe they should be equal and not offer the Stockholder OBC to anybody and end the whole issue. I would still travel with RCI.

Remember that RCL's chief competitor is Carnival and they offer shareholder credits.

Many eons ago, Disney gave their shareholder discount for takng Disney vacations, but that went bye-bye.

I’m in the camp that actually benefits from being a shareholder. We own both Carnival and RCCL stock. We are not loyal to any specific line. As matter of fact, we make it a point to be disloyal to any given line. We rotate between the various lines for our annual cruise - not doing the same line back to back. And since we own both major cruise families, we get OBC on all the sailings even if we move from line to line.

Taking it one step further, both my wife and I own both companies' stocks and since we travel with the kids on our cruises, we get multiple cabins and each cabin gets OBC. So the current system works for us.

When we did get the OBC for being a stockholder that was good, we also used to get a dividend, oh well things change.

What has been our biggest return from RCL stock was when the price tanked and we bought more shares, now that has been a great benefit.

When we did get the OBC for being a stockholder that was good, we also used to get a dividend, oh well things change.

What has been our biggest return from RCL stock was when the price tanked and we bought more shares, now that has been a great benefit.

So did you sell the stock for your profit?

As of June 1, 2010, when booking on board and booking an RCI cruise, you are given the choice of combining "2" RCI benefits......... an OBC for booking plus either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate (if one is available or becomes available for your cruise). Celebrity does not give balcony discounts.

You are also allowed to combine these benefits with OBC from Visa Points, and an OBC from a TA.

This holds true for doing a specific booking or purchasing a Why Not Decide Later booking (aka NextCruise).

But then, if you book in advance, booking on board and price drop - you out of luck.

But then, if you book in advance, booking on board and price drop - you out of luck.

Yes, that took effect on May 17, 2010. Any cruise booked prior to that date is still entitled to any/all price reductions up until 72 hours prior to sailing.

After May 17, any all cruises only get price reductions up until final payment. However, if a higher priced cabin category is reduced to what you paid you can request an upgrade.

We just booked a cruise while on the Jewel for December, the first cruise since this statement was made............and I have to admit..........we didn't feel any more robust sitting in front of the LA than if I had booked it from home.

I believe the implication from that statement was that they could lower the booking onboard bonus to make them combinable... not sure too many would like that. And it would probably be less beneficial to the company and shareholders that way as well...

I believe the implication from that statement was that they could lower the booking onboard bonus to make them combinable... not sure too many would like that. And it would probably be less beneficial to the company and shareholders that way as well...

So allow regular deposits, just like in the good old days, and the opportunity to combine two benefits when booking from home..........sounds pretty robust to me.:D

In this world a company has to be aware of what its competitors are doing. Otherwise clients may move to the competitor. Carnival Corp cruise lines still allow shareholder OBC to be combined with other perks. RCI has to decide whether they want to meet the competition or not. In this case they decided not. It does make a plus point with me to consider a Carnival Corp cruise which in my case is Princess. There are of course other considerations such as itinerary, ship, price, etc. I make my decision based on what is best for me overall.

So allow regular deposits, just like in the good old days, and the opportunity to combine two benefits when booking from home..........sounds pretty robust to me.:D

Giving away money always sounds good to the recipient, but is not such a viable long-term business strategy. :D

Archived