Tipping

Aline13

There will be regular tips, which vary by cruiseline. It would be a lot easier if we knew which cruiseline. $10 pp per day on Carnival. $9.75 pp per day on RCL for instance.

I bring a envelope of 1s, and 5s for change for tips and exact change in ports, they rarely make change. There are shuttle drivers in many ports worthy of tipping. Excursions you might want to tip for, luggage handlers.

Most charge 15% added to drinks, so unless you want to give extra, you dont need to worry.

Room service is free, you will want to tip.

If you're tipping in cash, you do it on the last night. Carnival adds the tips to your account. RCI--it's your choice.

The breakdown on RCI is --$3.50 pp pd to cabin attendant $3.50 pp pd to waiter

$2.00 pp pd to asst. waiter $.75 pp pd to head waiter That works out to $9.75 per person per day in tips.

Don't bring wads of small bills...the ship can break down larger bills as needed. Large denominations are MUCH easier to travel with...not so bulky!

We are sailing on the Ruby Princess.

Princess will automatically charge your account -- each of you -- with a daily Hotel Service Charge. You can read about here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

At the end of your cruise you will pay this, along with any other on-board expenses.

If you leave the Hotel Service Charge in place, you don't have to tip anyone else anything extra. If you find that someone has provided you with exceptional service you can always tip extra, either at the time of the service or at the end of the cruise, but this is entirely discretionary.

Princess will automatically charge your account -- each of you -- with a daily Hotel Service Charge. You can read about here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

At the end of your cruise you will pay this, along with any other on-board expenses.

If you leave the Hotel Service Charge in place, you don't have to tip anyone else anything extra. If you find that someone has provided you with exceptional service you can always tip extra, either at the time of the service or at the end of the cruise, but this is entirely discretionary.

We returned from the Ruby Princess 2 weeks back, fantastic trip.

Tipping for me is always a problem, you don't want to overdo it and you don't want to appear tight.

I leave the tipping charged to my account to save the hassle, my wife doesn't like this!

I did leave the cabin steward some extra, do others do this, if so how much?

Steve

We returned from the Ruby Princess 2 weeks back, fantastic trip.

Tipping for me is always a problem, you don't want to overdo it and you don't want to appear tight.

I leave the tipping charged to my account to save the hassle, my wife doesn't like this!

I did leave the cabin steward some extra, do others do this, if so how much?

Steve

We have always left on the autotip.

We give extra to the cabin steward, waiter and/or assistant waiter, if the service warrants. For instance our last cruise was 31 days on the Ocean Princess. Our cabin steward was great, so we gave him an extra $25. The waiter and assistant were ok, so we did not give them any extra.

So the cruise line (looking at Carnival) gives you a bill at the end and includes tips on it? You don't pay for expenses as they are used? I am 100% new to cruises and don't want to end up with a bill at the end that I was not expecting :confused:. Thank you so much for your help!

So the cruise line (looking at Carnival) gives you a bill at the end and includes tips on it? You don't pay for expenses as they are used? I am 100% new to cruises and don't want to end up with a bill at the end that I was not expecting :confused:. Thank you so much for your help!

As you board, the cruise line will set up your "onboard" account using a credit card you provide. This is the most common method, although you can use other means. You would want to discuss this with your TA or the cruise line directly. Anyway, the auto tip will be added to the account and charged to the credit card. Ships don't deal in cash so the onboard account is how you pay for things while on the ship. It is programmed to your room key card. You can usually monitor your spending via your television set during the trip or get a printout at the pursers desk anytime.

Carnival adds $10 per person, per day, to your bill at the end of the cruise. No need to tip anyone in cash.

A friend of mine who cruises often told me to remove the autotip and tip the same people in person. She said its better because she is sure the people who desearved the tip got the tip and the ship couldn't remove some of it for themselves. They (the staff) also then wouldn't have to claim it? She also said that random people who wash the deck chairs receive some of the tip? Which she was told isn't really fair because these people are working up to the better paying-tiping jobs? She said she always gives more then she would have with the autotip but is sure to the people she wants to see have it What's your take on it?

A friend of mine who cruises often told me to remove the autotip and tip the same people in person. She said its better because she is sure the people who desearved the tip got the tip and the ship couldn't remove some of it for themselves. They (the staff) also then wouldn't have to claim it?

a common misconception

If you tip them in person they still have to put the tips in the tip pool with all the others (depends on the cruise line of course)

So you are really no further ahead

Like some others we leave the auto tip in place then if someone has gone above & beyond we give them extra. (which they still have to report) but they get to keep the extra tip.

Just leave the auto tip in place & enjoy the cruise ..no hassle hunting down the crew on the last night to tip ;)

A friend of mine who cruises often told me to remove the autotip and tip the same people in person. She said its better because she is sure the people who desearved the tip got the tip and the ship couldn't remove some of it for themselves. They (the staff) also then wouldn't have to claim it? She also said that random people who wash the deck chairs receive some of the tip? Which she was told isn't really fair because these people are working up to the better paying-tiping jobs? She said she always gives more then she would have with the autotip but is sure to the people she wants to see have it What's your take on it?

While this sounds wonderful, it is in fact, not so great. If you remove the gratuity/hotel service charge/tip (or whatever you want to call it) the wait staff, cabin stewards, etc. have to turn any tips in to the pool and they are questioned as to why the auto tip was removed, so they aren't really getting to keep what you give them. And you are missing all the folks in the background that you never see.

I personally loved it when the lines went to the auto tip. Everyone gets their fair share, and if you feel someone went way above duty, you can always give them extra (and they do get to keep that, if you've left the auto tip in place). And by the same token, if someone is absolutely terrible, then go to the purser's desk with your complaint and get it fixed.

We had an outstanding cabin steward on Celebrity Constellation. We had bought new wallets in Bar Harbor Maine, and when we returned to the ship my friend switched her wallet out. Throwing the old one in the trash. We then went to dinner. When we returned the wallet was on the desk. I asked if she changed her mind, she said no, throw it away. As I started to, a plastic insert fell out (with all her grocery store discount cards NOT CREDIT CARDS) but still a hassle to replace them all. So I sat down and started looking, I found 3 $100 bills tucked in the pocket. Our cabin steward could have gone through that wallet and taken the cash, and thrown the wallet away. And we would have been none the wiser. For his honesty she tipped him $20 immediately. And at the end of the cruise, we each gave him another $40. So he got $100 in addition to his normal tip. He was absolutely the best steward we've had.

Unfortunately your friend would be wrong. If she removes the auto-tip and tips only in cash, those employees are honor-bound to turn in the cash (and there is a record kept of who removed the auto-tip, so those employees are questioned). The cash is then re-distributed to all those who are part of the tipping pool (which, as far as I know, don't include the folks who wash the deck chairs..but why not, if that makes your cruise more enjoyable?). So the employees that she tips would likely end up with LESS, than if she just left the autotip in place..and then, if she wished, give more to those who she felt "deserved" it. In that case, they would be able to keep the cash.

We always auto-tip because auto-tip or tipping in person, it goes into a pot that is split between the appropriate wait staff, cabin staff. We tip extra to the person(s) who have done an outstanding job for us in cash. There are no surprises. The auto-amount is something we know to budget for and the auto-tip is so simple. We used to have to sit and count out the cash, put it in an envelope and stategically wait to hand it to them in person so they could thank us in person. It's a service and we tip for the service. We've never had a bad waiter, asst. waiter, room steward, etc. We leave extra cash with a note in the room and give the wait staff extra at some point during the cruise, but not on the last night usually. They will know you have auto-tip, trust me. Sometimes people say they remove the auto-tip because they like to tip in person and give more. Sometimes it's because they don't tip as much as the auto-tip, otherwise, why bother to remove the minimum because you want to add more??? Not logical to me....JMO.

This is usually a sore subject, because most of the people according to a survey, who removed tips are doing so because they want to tip less than the recommended less .... your friend may not be cheap, but most are. I would be so embarrassed to remove tips. Unless you dislike the service, why not leave the tips as they are set up.

John the Blogger has said many times, Carnival does not take any of the tips, all goes to the person as shown on the Carnival site..... I feel pretty strongly about cheapos who remove tips. I just got off Conquest where we missed 2 ports and many removed tips .. I mean a constant long line of people who probably have a bad day and kick their dogs when they get home. The cabin steward and waiter has nothing to do with if the ship missed a port. You will run into lots of cheap people who do this, doesnt make it right.

autotip is VERY convenient- Why would you want to stand in the long lines at the pursers desk to get them removed-- then finding the correct change. And then spend time getting them distributed. (just not worth it to me)

Considering your friend is a cruiser-- she is under a lot of misconceptions.

The cruiselines do NOT take a cut out of the auto tips/ and people who work on the ships do not pay taxes like we do here.

Crew members work their way up the chain-- so the people who clean the deck chairs do not get paid out of the auto tips- (they could be doing their "other" job. People in other areas of the ship get hired out by waiters/ and cabin stewards as helpers.

Waiters rotate jobs-- you will also see them working the buffet area too.

Unfortunately your friend would be wrong. If she removes the auto-tip and tips only in cash, those employees are honor-bound to turn in the cash (and there is a record kept of who removed the auto-tip, so those employees are questioned). The cash is then re-distributed to all those who are part of the tipping pool (which, as far as I know, don't include the folks who wash the deck chairs..but why not, if that makes your cruise more enjoyable?). So the employees that she tips would likely end up with LESS, than if she just left the autotip in place..and then, if she wished, give more to those who she felt "deserved" it. In that case, they would be able to keep the cash.

Okay, so I have a question about this. I am assuming you guys are correct, that the tips are pooled and then re-distributed.

So, if this is the case, then it seems completely pointless to tip someone extra for going "above and beyond" for you, since they just have to split that extra money with everyone else. Is that right? Or, if you do the auto-tipping, and then give someone a little extra in an envelope, do they get to keep that part separately?

Thanks.

Okay, so I have a question about this. I am assuming you guys are correct, that the tips are pooled and then re-distributed.

So, if this is the case, then it seems completely pointless to tip someone extra for going "above and beyond" for you, since they just have to split that extra money with everyone else. Is that right? Or, if you do the auto-tipping, and then give someone a little extra in an envelope, do they get to keep that part separately?

Thanks.

Yes..if you do the auto-tipping and then give someone a little extra -- either in an envelope or just hand it to him/her..they get to keep that separately. It's only if you remove the auto-tip and then hand someone cash, they're supposed to turn it in.

My daughter and I will be cruising next month, how much and to whom do I tip? Do I tip these people every day or just at the end of the cruise?

Easiest to leave auto-tip in place and (IF YOU WANT TO) give a bit extra at the end of your cruise to those who went above and beyond.

In addition, it's very nice :) to slip a dollar or two to the person who brings your room service (each time). They don't get a very large percentage of the auto-tip like the room steward or dinner wait staff.

Bartenders receive their "tip" via the 15% service charge INCLUDED in your drink cost.

Just my two cents.

Have a GREAT cruise.

Somehow I don't think the non-tippers changed when the gratuity was added to their OBA. They just removed it. Many new cruisers do not know how much extra it costs you, this is not an all inclusive vacation. The advertising really plays up the cocktails, spa etc and it all costs alot more than at home. The easiest way to cut down the final bill is stand in that long line and remove the service charges. Not good for the staff, but it happens. Do what you feel comfortable with. The company doesn't really care.

Somehow I don't think the non-tippers changed when the gratuity was added to their OBA. They just removed it. Many new cruisers do not know how much extra it costs you, this is not an all inclusive vacation. The advertising really plays up the cocktails, spa etc and it all costs alot more than at home. The easiest way to cut down the final bill is stand in that long line and remove the service charges. Not good for the staff, but it happens. Do what you feel comfortable with. The company doesn't really care.

the company may not care..but the staff will be unhappy. Not that it'll matter..they'll still do their exemplary job.

Yes, it DOES cost more than staying home. And it's all spelled out there on the various cruise websites. If you can't afford it, then by all means, stay home.

The FAIREST way to cut down on that final bill is to not drink alcohol, not gamble, not go on excursions..not cheat the staff.

the company may not care..but the staff will be unhappy. Not that it'll matter..they'll still do their exemplary job.

Yes, it DOES cost more than staying home. And it's all spelled out there on the various cruise websites. If you can't afford it, then by all means, stay home.

The FAIREST way to cut down on that final bill is to not drink alcohol, not gamble, not go on excursions..not cheat the staff.

Well said.

I'll be going on my first cruise (on Carnival Miracle) in May, from what I've read so far, I want to tip the guy who takes my bags when I arrive at the ship in cash. I should tip room service in cash. I don't need to tip for drinks.

I plan on leaving the auto tip as is.

Can I give the steward an additional tip daily or when I see it fit in cash?

can I leave extra tip for the waiter in cash?

I assume spa services would be tipped as normal as well as anything at a port?

Any other people that should be tipped any extra cash?

I usually find that pre-tipping gets you better service in other non cruise related instances. (well, it definitely does in Vegas anyway) and I have no problem tipping extra for a job well done. Any suggestions?

Archived