What Ship? What Date?

sail7seas

We are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale next month on HA and just received an email that our embarkation time changed to 10 pm. This seems a little late to me, has this happened to anyone else? It was originally scheduled to embark at 8 pm and we thought this was late since most of the other sailings leave at 5 pm. Our parents went on a cruise in June and they left at 4 pm. Thanks in advance for your input.

I just saw this posted on another board and am so curious........

Anyone know what ship, date and why it was initially scheduled for such a late sailaway that is now even later?

I don't think I recall ever seeing such a late scheduled embarkation sailaway for HAL cruise. I've seen them sail late due to mechanical problem or other issue but never scheduled for such.

Do you think that poster was a bit confused between departure and embarkation. For example, I am booked on Crystal Serenity January 30 and sailaway is 9PM but embarkation is early afternoon. That makes sense to me since we have plenty of time to make the next day's port. Embarkation at that hour would be really strange. I guess that would mean no dinner the first night.

I'm assuming because it is coming from across the Atlantic, and there may be a large amount of crew changes for their first Caribbean cruise.

It happened to us on the Eurodam in January, where there was 25% crew change, over 200 including officers. We left 4 hours later because of the delay of processing the crew through immigration in Miami. That is what one officer told us. Also, it wasn't the first cruise of the season for Eurodam.

Someone on the roll call said there's a full Coast Guard inspection since it's the first time in the US. We have dinner reservations in the Pinnacle at 8P that night so I'm kind of glad it's not sailing until 10P.

We have had late departures from Whittier, Alaska, due to connections but this time was always posted however from 'Day One'..

Chances are it is a problem with air line connections, no real biggy seeing that departure time is later, the late arrivals will probably have their life boat drill on the following day.

In Alaska our first dinner was 'open seating' regardless of our preferences, we were given a 'slip' in our cabin, to tell us when to show up for our meal.

john

First call in the USA ever. Will have just completed a 20 day T/A with 8 sea days. Likely a major crew turnover with special orientations needed.

More importantly, the NA will have to go thru complete inspections by the Coast Guard, Health officials and port security. All crew and international passengers will receive special immigration reviews.

Lastly, probably many special guests invited for the day to tour the ship, travel agents, 4 Star Mariners and local political officials etc.

Not your normal turn-around day.

Archived