Marriage License Carnival's Response

Warm Breezes

[quote name='ChrissyBTX'][COLOR=#ff0000]Names on Travel Documentation[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]tickets. In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]this change is required. [/COLOR]

My maiden name is on all three (passport, birth cert, & DL). Yes, if you're married you have a new last name, but if your maiden name is on both, then that should work. It's always worked for me.

If the OP does NOT have her maiden name on her DL, then I totally understand why she would need a marriage cert.[/quote]

And if you would have continued reading...one of the supporting documents listed was a drivers license;)
Many women travel with just a birth certificate and drivers license in their married name and never bring their marriage certificate and have never been denied boarding......I did for many years before I got my passport. I have arranged 2 big group cruises and non of these women brought their marriage certificates.......
Why? Because it is not listed as one of the requirements......
Why would Carnival require a marriage cert if the Gov. doesn't even require it to get a passport:confused:

[quote name='Kurbanfan']And if you would have continued reading...one of the supporting documents listed was a drivers license;)
Many women travel with just a birth certificate and drivers license in their married name and never bring their marriage certificate and have never been denied boarding......I did for many years before I got my passport. I have arranged 2 big group cruises and non of these women brought their marriage certificates.......
Why? Because it is not listed as one of the requirements......
Why would Carnival require a marriage cert if the Gov. doesn't even require it to get a passport:confused:[/quote]

Yes, you are correct. I've always done this, too. BUT.....did the women you mentioned have their [COLOR=red][B]maiden name AND their married name[/B][/COLOR] on their driver's license? That's my point (the KEY point). If the maiden name is not on the DL, then the names will not match. Another thing I didn't mention, when I book a cruise, I have myself listed with my maiden and married name. Everything matches.

I'm sorry, I can't explain it any better. Maybe it's just me.:confused:

[quote name='ChrissyBTX']Yes, you are correct. I've always done this, too. BUT.....did the women you mentioned have their [COLOR=red][B]maiden name AND their married name[/B][/COLOR] on their driver's license? That's my point (the KEY point). If the maiden name is not on the DL, then the names will not match. Another thing I didn't mention, when I book a cruise, I have myself listed with my maiden and married name. Everything matches.

I'm sorry, I can't explain it any better. Maybe it's just me.:confused:[/quote]

Nope... everyone in our group dropped their maiden name when they wed........Carnival only requires that your boarding pass and pic id match........

[quote name='ChrissyBTX']Yes, you are correct. I've always done this, too. BUT.....did the women you mentioned have their [COLOR=red][B]maiden name AND their married name[/B][/COLOR] on their driver's license? That's my point (the KEY point). If the maiden name is not on the DL, then the names will not match. Another thing I didn't mention, when I book a cruise, I have myself listed with my maiden and married name. Everything matches.

I'm sorry, I can't explain it any better. Maybe it's just me.:confused:[/quote]

Chrissy.. not every state does that. In fact, I had never heard of it till I moved to Alabama and was made to do it when I got my license.

And Kurb is correct. When we got our passport cards, I didn't have to send in my ML. Just my BC and showed my DL at the post office to prove I was who I said I was.

Nope... everyone in our group dropped their maiden name when they wed........Carnival only requires that your boarding pass and pic id match........

OK then. I believe you. I was just trying to justify why Carnival would ask for a marriage license. Who knows. I didn't notice what state you live in, but I take it they don't require your maiden name on your driver's license? I wonder how many states do?

OK then. I believe you. I was just trying to justify why Carnival would ask for a marriage license. Who knows. I didn't notice what state you live in, but I take it they don't require your maiden name on your driver's license? I wonder how many states do?

California.......

Actually the posted required documents that Carnival posted do not ask for a marriage license.....it was said by the representative who Warm Breezes got in contact with......

But the representative contradicts what Carnival requires and that is what Warm Breezes is trying to figure out........

But then again you can actually call Carnival three times with the same question and you will get three different answers:p

Ok I do not think this is not nearly as complicated as this thread has make it to be!

For illustration purposes.....

Thre is no problem, if Jane Doe marries Jim Smith and her legal name becomes Jane Smith and she boards with a BC and her DL - the DL must say Jane Smith and the reservations on Carnivals system must say Jane Smith.

No problem if Jane Doe's reservations, BC and DL show Jane Doe even if she is married to Jim Smith.

The problem happens when Jane Doe is listed in the reservations, her BC says Jane Doe and her photo DL says Jane Smith. The marraige license would show that Jane Doe married Jim Smith.

Same problem if the name has been changed because of divorce and does not match the DL and reservation.

The only time the marraige license - or divorce decree - is an issue is when the names on the reservations and photo ID do not match. Carnival then requires additional documentation to support the name change.

As long as the name on the reservation matches your photo id and you have BC to prove citizenship - there is no problem.

I just went back and read your initial post. You said your driver's license has your current (married) name on it. Does your current DL ALSO have your maiden name on it, too? Here in Texas, women have to put their maiden name (as the middle name) on the DL.

MY DL has my first name, maiden name, and my married name. Before I got my passport, I only had to bring my birth certificate and my DL. My maiden name was on both so no marriage cert. was needed for any of my cruises.

My passport is set up the same way. All three names are on it. Makes it much easier.

If this was discussed in a previous post, I apologize, I must have missed it.

My DL does not have my maiden name on it.

Ok I do not think this is not nearly as complicated as this thread has make it to be!

Thre is no problem, if Jane Doe marries Jim Smith and her legal name becomes Jane Smith and she boards with a BC and her DL - the DL must say Jane Smith and the reservations on Carnivals system must say Jane Smith.

No problem if Jane Doe's reservations, BC and DL show Jane Doe even if she is married to Jim Smith.

The problem happens when Jane Doe is listed in the reservations, her BC says Jane Doe and her photo DL says Jane Smith. The marraige license would show that Jane Doe married Jim Smith.

Same problem if the name has been changed because of divorce and does not match the DL and reservation.

The only time the marraige license - or divorce decree - is an issue is when the names on the reservations and photo ID do not match. Carnival then requires additional documentation to support the name change.

As long as the name on the reservation matches your photo id and you have BC to prove citizenship - there is no problem.

Now try to make people believe it:p:D

That is the exact example I gave the Carnival Rep and he told me I needed my marriage license (even though I have never needed it before) and his supporting documentation contradicted what he told me. I have replied to his e-mail asking for an explanation of his discrepancy.

Had a copy of a certified cert faxed:confused: Something does not add up......

Did anyone happen to tell him the other couples did not have a marriage cert:confused: Did anyone call a supervisor:confused: And we still don't know if she would have been denied boarding if she couldn't have one faxed....

People get detained all the time for mistakes......but there has never been any reports of anyone being denied boarding because they did not have a marriage cert.......now there have been reports that some have been denied because they didn't have the proper birth certificate.....

But the requirement for Marriage Certificate does not say CERTIFIED COPY. It simply says Original or Copy.. So I do believe this. As a matter of fact when I went on the NCL Pearl in Oct 2007 my father pulled out his birth certificate that happened to be my sister BC. They allowed him to board while my BiL pulled his BC and faxed it to the ship. It was my parent's 50th anniversary and there were about 17 of us. They choose to let him board. So I do believe there is some discretion on who ever is checking you in! AND this was at the final check in. Obviously the previous two points where you had to show both DL and BC they never looked!!

But the requirement for Marriage Certificate does not say CERTIFIED COPY. It simply says Original or Copy.. So I do believe this. As a matter of fact when I went on the NCL Pearl in Oct 2007 my father pulled out his birth certificate that happened to be my sister BC. They allowed him to board while my BiL pulled his BC and faxed it to the ship. It was my parent's 50th anniversary and there were about 17 of us. They choose to let him board. So I do believe there is some discretion on who ever is checking you in! AND this was at the final check in. Obviously the previous two points where you had to show both DL and BC they never looked!!

Ok now I am confused........are we talking birth certs now:confused:

OP, I think you may just be misunderstanding what is written in the response from Carnival, or I'm just way too confused from reading this thread....... lol ;)

It states (copied from your original post):

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate, etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting

this change is required.

1. Current, valid driver's license with a photo

2. Government-Issued identification card with a photo (city/state/federal)

3. Legal Name Change court document

4. Marriage Certificate: original or copy

Ok, the way I read this is, if your BC and DL do not have matching names, you have to have something that shows matching names. Since your DL doesn't have the same name as your BC, it does not qualify as a supporting document. Therefore, one of the remaining 3 on the list of acceptable supporting documents can be used.

Like I said, I may be too confused myself, but that's the way I interpret it.

Ok now I am confused........are we talking birth certs now:confused:

Point being if they have discretion with BCs then they certainly do with MLs..

I didn't think that reference was so much of a stretch it would cause confusion. My bad.

Point being if they have discretion with BCs then they certainly do with MLs..

I didn't think that reference was so much of a stretch it would cause confusion. My bad.

Of course they have discretion with BC's because it is clearly stated that a original certified copy is required.....a marriage cert is not required.......

Listen I understand that you might get some cocky unhappy employee with an attitude who will detain you for whatever reason......but they don't have the power to deny you to board.....they will send you to their supervisor who holds the power.......we had a member in our group detained for somehting else......and yes we did board:D

People get all freaked out because some ignorant person with an attitude behind the counter will ask them for a marriage cert.......and although they didn't have one they were still able to board....but will come back on here and post that we need to bring one:rolleyes:

Actually I take back that MY BAD.. If you took the time to read my response to YOUR comment that SOMETHING DOESN"T ADD UP you would have seen I addressed that (simply there is no requirement for the Marriage Cert to be Certified - it says ORGINAL OR COPY).

My this CC board is very snippy.. I frequent a lot of boards and blogs and only joined this one two days ago. But I'm finding it very harsh. Looks like some people have nothing better to do than go around bashing other people's comments. To bad, I had originally felt I could get some great info here. And I did. Until reading this thread and one other it would have never occurred to me that I needed my ML. Now it is packed with my DL & BC. But not sure I care to hang around much more.

Of course they have discretion with BC's because it is clearly stated that a original certified copy is required.....a marriage cert is not required.......

Listen I understand that you might get some cocky unhappy employee with an attitude who will detain you for whatever reason......but they don't have the power to deny you to board.....they will send you to their supervisor who holds the power.......we had a member in our group detained for somehting else......and yes we did board:D

People get all freaked out because some ignorant person with an attitude behind the counter will ask them for a marriage cert.......and although they didn't have one they were still able to board....but will come back on here and post that we need to bring one:rolleyes:

Do you even read anything before you start with your snippy response?? Of course my father could have been denied boarding with no birth certificate. But they choose not to deny his boarding.

Actually I take back that MY BAD.. If you took the time to read my response to YOUR comment that SOMETHING DOESN"T ADD UP you would have seen I addressed that (simply there is no requirement for the Marriage Cert to be Certified - it says ORGINAL OR COPY).

My this CC board is very snippy.. I frequent a lot of boards and blogs and only joined this one two days ago. But I'm finding it very harsh. Looks like some people have nothing better to do than go around bashing other people's comments. To bad, I had originally felt I could get some great info here. And I did. Until reading this thread and one other it would have never occurred to me that I needed my ML. Now it is packed with my DL & BC. But not sure I care to hang around much more.

Do you even read anything before you start with your snippy response?? Of course my father could have been denied boarding with no birth certificate. But they choose not to deny his boarding.

My......who's shippy and harsh:confused::p

I have no bone to pick with you I was just responding to your post which said if they have the descretion with BC's then they can with a marriage license.....they don't have the descretion to deny you boarding because of no marriage license if all your other docs are in order....they may detain you because they are in a cocky ignorant mood......but deny:confused:....nope.....

And just where did Kurb say they weren't going to post anymore???

Ah......you missed the point.......don't get it twisted.....chasinraynbowz:rolleyes: Kurbanfan stated he/she was looking for "hard cold facts". My question was had he/she found any "facts" yet since he/she was still posted. You reading much too much in my post.

Archived