Marriage License Carnival's Response

Warm Breezes

Ah......you missed the point.......don't get it twisted.....chasinraynbowz:rolleyes: Kurbanfan stated he/she was looking for "hard cold facts". My question was had he/she found any "facts" yet since he/she was still posted. You reading much too much in my post.

No......I meant your reponse to someone reasoning was not cold hard facts;)

Man, this is like beating a dead horse. :eek:

But it shouldn't be so confusing...Carnival should be clear, concise, and consistent in enforcing their written rules on this. The way it is currently written and the sparodic infrequent checking of marriage licenses, leaves way too much room for different interpretations, as is proven by this thread. Let's hope I can get a clear cut, non-conflicting answer from my reply to Carnival so we can all put this to rest and end all confusion as to what is really required.

Doesn't EVERYONE's birth certificate contain the maiden name, or whatever name you were given at birth?

The Driver's License must match the cruise reservation, that is certain. Also, why don't you just get a passport and forget about the BC?

That is why I think it is such a lousy idea for the authorities to permit a BC to be used to leave and re-enter the country. It could be in an entirely different name.

And why even ask Carnival? If there is any question about bringing your marriage license, just bring it. How hard is that?

Below your blue is the supporting documentation allowed....Note the first one....Current, valid driver's license with a photo. I am already bringing that. That is all I have needed on all my past cruises. Why do I need the fourth item on their list too? I don't need to bring the second and third items, so why the fourth? Do you see the contradiction yet????

Unless your drivers license shows both your birth name and your current name, it is not proper documentation for the name change.

Just because they have let you travel without it, does not mean it is correct. The safest thing in this case would be to have the Marriage License (I would have a certified copy) as proof positive that the Birth Certificate and Driver's License are both identifying you.

Unless your drivers license shows both your birth name and your current name, it is not proper documentation for the name change.

Just because they have let you travel without it, does not mean it is correct. The safest thing in this case would be to have the Marriage License (I would have a certified copy) as proof positive that the Birth Certificate and Driver's License are both identifying you.

Yes it is because in order to get that married name on your license you need to show your marriage cert;) Notice the redundancy:D

This is why they don't require a marriage license when you apply for a passport.......they are aware that you needed it in order to change the name on your license;)

Yes it is because in order to get that married name on your license you need to show your marriage cert;) Notice the redundancy:D

This is why they don't require a marriage license when you apply for a passport.......they are aware that you needed it in order to change the name on your license;)

LOL...you have much more energy than I for trying to set this record straight ;). I have given up :o......

It does not matter that documentation is needed to change your driver's license. The driver's license is still not documentation itself of what the person's original name was. An assumption can be made that the matching birthdates identifies the person as one in the same and in some cases this is sufficient.

Luckily, I have a passport and will never change my last name. My wife also got her passport for our cruise so we will not have to worry about it. But as I said, if you're in this situation, it should be less of a hassle if you have it than if you don't.

It does not matter that documentation is needed to change your driver's license. The driver's license is still not documentation itself of what the person's original name was. An assumption can be made that the matching birthdates identifies the person as one in the same and in some cases this is sufficient.

Luckily, I have a passport and will never change my last name. My wife also got her passport for our cruise so we will not have to worry about it. But as I said, if you're in this situation, it should be less of a hassle if you have it than if you don't.

Then why don't they ask for a marriage license in order to get a passport:confused:

It is better to have it and NOT need it than NEED it and NOT have it.

That being said - a DL is a valid bridge document

I got married before I got my DL and I needed both my BC & ML to get my DL in my married name.

When I got divorced I had to provide the divorce decree with the judges order changing my married name back to my maiden name.

When I got re-married I needed my ML to change my name to new married name.

The name changes are verified as legal on the DL making the DL a bridge document.

Not all cruise employees or even immigration employees get that though so please refer to my first statement.

OP, I think you may just be misunderstanding what is written in the response from Carnival, or I'm just way too confused from reading this thread....... lol ;)

It states (copied from your original post):

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, birth certificate, etc) and Government-Issued Photo I.D be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. In the event of a different name (name change), documentation supporting

this change is required.

1. Current, valid driver's license with a photo

2. Government-Issued identification card with a photo (city/state/federal)

3. Legal Name Change court document

4. Marriage Certificate: original or copy

Ok, the way I read this is, if your BC and DL do not have matching names, you have to have something that shows matching names. Since your DL doesn't have the same name as your BC, it does not qualify as a supporting document. Therefore, one of the remaining 3 on the list of acceptable supporting documents can be used.

Like I said, I may be too confused myself, but that's the way I interpret it.

There are 2 things I struggle with in accepting your interpretation:

1. How #1 is written leaves too much room for interpretation. I (and others) interpret it the way it is written that a current, valid driver's license is sufficient. Your interpretation is that it must be a current valid driver's license with your current and maiden name on it. IMHO if that is what they mean then they should state it that way.

2. My own personal experience (as well as many, many others) has been Carnival accepting our DL, without our maiden names on it, as fullfilling this requirement on our past cruises. If my maiden name is supposed to be on it then why hasn't then been enforced on any of my past cruises?

It is better to have it and NOT need it than NEED it and NOT have it.

That being said - a DL is a valid bridge document

I got married before I got my DL and I needed both my BC & ML to get my DL in my married name.

When I got divorced I had to provide the divorce decree with the judges order changing my married name back to my maiden name.

When I got re-married I needed my ML to change my name to new married name.

The name changes are verified as legal on the DL making the DL a bridge document.

Not all cruise employees or even immigration employees get that though so please refer to my first statement.

Yes this may be true but this still will not get you denied from boarding.....which was my whole point from the get go....

And I do agree if you are fearful then bring your marriage cert just as I have always said if you feel more comfortable in port with your passport then you need to take it with you......

Doesn't EVERYONE's birth certificate contain the maiden name, or whatever name you were given at birth?Yes

The Driver's License must match the cruise reservation, that is certain. Also, why don't you just get a passport and forget about the BC?Because that is not what we are discussing here. We are trying to get a straight answer from Carnival for all the many, many married women who sail with their BC and DL.

That is why I think it is such a lousy idea for the authorities to permit a BC to be used to leave and re-enter the country. It could be in an entirely different name.Doesn't matter what you think, it's the law.

And why even ask Carnival?Because there are many women who will read the required documentation on Carnival's FAQ and the WHTI requirements as I do and believe it is not needed. If there is any question about bringing your marriage license, just bring it. How hard is that?

Many married women sail under the belief that they just need their BC and DL and, for the most part, that has been all that has been enforced. It is how Carnival's FAQ and WHTI are written. If in fact this is not true, and Carnival will stop or delay people from embarking because they need it, then this needs to be addressed. Carnival needs to make their reqirements clearer on when a marriage license is needed and train their embarkation employees (and their reps) to follow these rules consistantly.

Many married women sail under the belief that they just need their BC and DL and, for the most part, that has been all that has been enforced. It is how Carnival's FAQ and WHTI are written. If in fact this is not true, and Carnival will stop or delay people from embarking because they need it, then this needs to be addressed. Carnival needs to make their reqirements clearer on when a marriage license is needed and train their embarkation employees (and their reps) to follow these rules consistantly.

Carnival is so inconsistent - with so many things - I am not sure that we can expect anything else :(!!

Carnival is so inconsistent - with so many things - I am not sure that we can expect anything else :(!!

Geez, is this thread about bringing a marriage license or is it not?

You do not need to ask Carnival. It does not matter what their response is.

It is a freaking piece of paper. BRING IT!

Do you people have a problem with that, or do you just like to argue over whether or not the sky is blue?

Do you people have a problem with that, or do you just like to argue over whether or not the sky is blue?

I have a problem with mis-information......it all starts because some ignorant counter person asks for something that is not needed.....because that person asked for it someone will turn that into because they asked for it then it is required.......then they will post that on here and so goes it......then someone that has a cruise in a few days will read it and freak out because they can't find their marriage license....

Not sure why you directed this at me :confused:. You just said the same thing I have been saying all along......

Confusion aside, I have to agree with your plan. A clerk who is not well informed can end your vacation at the point of embarkation regardless of what answer you receive. That is simply not a risk I'm willing to take on. (And, yes, I'd complain up a storm, write to the CEO and do everything else do point out the error. But, none of that would prevent the ship from leaving without me if the embarkation staff believes I need a ML.)

Archived