Obnoxious table mate says he doesn't need CC

Grits53

In 13 cruises, we've never had an assigned table mate that we just did not like...until last week. Fortunately, we were seated at a table for 8, so there were other nice people that we could ATTEMPT to converse with. But Mr. Know It All was constantly butting in with his long, drawn out theory about EVERYTHING. I was telling them about Cruise Critic, and the other table mates were listening intently with genuine interest. Then Mr. Know It All butted in and stated that he didn't believe in wasting time at places like that, and he always goes directly to Carnival with his cruise criticism. :rolleyes: If this had been longer than a 5 day cruise, I would have had to find my dinner elsewhere. The other people were very nice, but this man was getting on my last nerve! I'm NOT glad my cruise is over, but I surely am glad I won't be dining with Mr. Know It All anymore! LOL! (It was a great cruise, anyway.)

In 13 cruises, we've never had an assigned table mate that we just did not like...until last week. Fortunately, we were seated at a table for 8, so there were other nice people that we could ATTEMPT to converse with. But Mr. Know It All was constantly butting in with his long, drawn out theory about EVERYTHING. I was telling them about Cruise Critic, and the other table mates were listening intently with genuine interest. Then Mr. Know It All butted in and stated that he didn't believe in wasting time at places like that, and he always goes directly to Carnival with his cruise criticism. :rolleyes: If this had been longer than a 5 day cruise, I would have had to find my dinner elsewhere. The other people were very nice, but this man was getting on my last nerve! I'm NOT glad my cruise is over, but I surely am glad I won't be dining with Mr. Know It All anymore! LOL! (It was a great cruise, anyway.)

None of us do things the same way, and sometimes it just doesn't go well. Glad you enjoyed your cruise :cool:

This is exactly why I always choose YTD. That way I only sit with people I want to sit with and can enjoy my dinner in peace. Sorry your dining experience wasn't up to par but glad that you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Take care,

........ But Mr. Know It All was constantly butting in with his long, drawn out theory about EVERYTHING.

Hopefully you won't get another tablemate like him again, but if you do and they butt in just say, "excuse me, but I wasn't finished talking" then before they have a chance to utter another word, just continue with your conversation.

We had a tablemate like that on the Celebration...it was MISERY! We even skipped a nite of dinner because of it, and blessedly he and his wife skipped another!

But on the plus side of good tablemates, we are sailing in Nov with our tablemates from a cruise 3 years ago. Luck of the draw, I guess!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise:)

We had one of those table mates on a couple of cruises. We sat at a table for 4 and with a couple who could barely speak English. She came right out and asked how we paid for our cruise "How you pay for cruise?" DH was not comfortable with the question, so being the wise acre that I am, I responded "oh we're janitors by trade and we collect aluminum cans and plastic bottles throughout the year to pay for our cruise." The look on their faces were priceless! Then more personal questions came forth in broken English and I kept coming up with the most outlandish responses. DH sat there stoic trying to keep from laughing. Needless to say, they weren't at our table the rest of the cruise. :D

Back when we used to do assigned seating, we switched tables because one of our tablemates kept making crude racist remarks. He thought it was hilarious every time he said something. Other tablemates would give a nervous giggle and then the table would go quiet. Very awkward.

Although we've had awesome tablemates, we now stick to anytime dining. We've learned that we enjoy our dinners more as a family. If we want to meet fellow cruisers, we do it under our terms, not that of the cruise line... :)

She came right out and asked how we paid for our cruise "How you pay for cruise?"

That would have been fun! I might have said it was a gift and was timed to conicide with my release from prison.

I would go on to say that at least out here no one knows all the things I have done. If that don't scare 'em off, nothing will! :D

That would have been fun! I might have said it was a gift and was timed to conicide with my release from prison.

I would go on to say that at least out here no one knows all the things I have done. If that don't scare 'em off, nothing will! :D

That was awesome I was trying to think of something similar...LOL

Truthfully we seriously could probably pay for our deposit on all the cans and bottles we collect throughout the year. We're not too proud a nickel is a nickel after all.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been lucky to have wonderful tablemates on all but one cruise. My son and I were once seated with an older couple. The wife was intent on finding a way to bring religion into our conversations. After successfully ignoring her attempts at this, I finally told her outright that I was an atheist, to which she replied,

"Well, that is just terrible!" I informed her that it was not in fact terrible and I had to flat out tell her that I was not interested in debating my beliefs with her and that we would not be having any more discussions about the subject since I didn't feel that I could persuade her to "my side". Of course, she found this incredulous. She couldn't fathom that I would even consider saying something like that because, after all, SHE was the one that needed to convert ME! Ha ha. She did give up and I'm sure she's praying for me to this day. Other than being close-minded, the couple was nice enough, especially the husband. I think that I'm probably the only atheist that they had ever met and they seemed surprised that my young son was behaved and well mannered and that we actually have morals. Too bad it wasn't the Halloween cruise where I dressed as a devil with 666 on my forehead!

after 13 crusies we have had great table mates except one cruise.

i live for people like "Mr. Know It All " because I try to push them over the edge bring them back and then push hard. I ask all kind of stupid and irritable questions.

its just so much fun. my wife tells me that I do ugly.

Well, maybe your tablemate didn't really need cruise critic. Hope you didn't talk about cruise critic all week.... maybe that was the reason he felt the need to 'know everything.' Just saying ..... who knows, he may be on Carnival's website talking about how you talked about cruise critic all week!!

LOL! Good one!

after 13 crusies we have had great table mates except one cruise.

i live for people like "Mr. Know It All " because I try to push them over the edge bring them back and then push hard. I ask all kind of stupid and irritable questions.

its just so much fun. my wife tells me that I do ugly.

You're so bad. LOL! I'm much too shy to do that, but I would love to observe someone else doing it to "Mr. Know It All"!

Well, maybe your tablemate didn't really need cruise critic. Hope you didn't talk about cruise critic all week.... maybe that was the reason he felt the need to 'know everything.' Just saying ..... who knows, he may be on Carnival's website talking about how you talked about cruise critic all week!!

No, I didn't talk about CC all week. Actually, CC was brought up when I told them about the Magic coming to Galveston and Triumph would swap places with Conquest & Ecstasy. One of the tablemates (certainly not Mr. Know It All. LOL!) asked how/where I found this information. So that was when I told them about CC and how much cruise info you can find here. :)

We had one of those table mates on a couple of cruises. We sat at a table for 4 and with a couple who could barely speak English. She came right out and asked how we paid for our cruise "How you pay for cruise?" DH was not comfortable with the question, so being the wise acre that I am, I responded "oh we're janitors by trade and we collect aluminum cans and plastic bottles throughout the year to pay for our cruise." The look on their faces were priceless! Then more personal questions came forth in broken English and I kept coming up with the most outlandish responses. DH sat there stoic trying to keep from laughing. Needless to say, they weren't at our table the rest of the cruise. :D

On our very first cruise (girls cruise) we were at a table for 10. Everyone at the table said they had some high fluting job. A lawyer, Sec. to the governor etc. and yet they all looked like they bought their clothes at the good will, and on wednesday when everything is a quarter. Finally the last night of the cruise, someone asked me what I did for a living. I told them I was a prostitute. I almost wet my pants trying not to laugh at their shocked looks. They asked all kinds of questions and I just lied with sincerity. I never told them anything different either.:p

Hi Jan! the guy sounds like a real PITA!!:rolleyes:

He should have came on over here and joined, he would have fit right in. :rolleyes:

On our very first cruise (girls cruise) we were at a table for 10. Everyone at the table said they had some high fluting job. A lawyer, Sec. to the governor etc. and yet they all looked like they bought their clothes at the good will, and on wednesday when everything is a quarter. Finally the last night of the cruise, someone asked me what I did for a living. I told them I was a prostitute. I almost wet my pants trying not to laugh at their shocked looks. They asked all kinds of questions and I just lied with sincerity. I never told them anything different either.:p

What :eek: Wed. is 25 cent day in your town...

and really you never told me what you do for a living....

I guess I will have to wait for our next cruise to hear more about that!

Table for 10, please

Sorry, back to the Mr. Know it all's of the Cruising world...and bad table mate stories

I might tell you of mine, but I am afraid my Family might read this, as they were my table mates :eek:

And they are CC Members

You could have eaten somewhere else.....went to Lido...changed tables or dining rooms....but no you decide to come to CC and complain. Your BAD !!!!!!!

Archived