Obnoxious table mate says he doesn't need CC

Grits53

You could have eaten somewhere else.....went to Lido...changed tables or dining rooms....but no you decide to come to CC and complain. Your BAD !!!!!!!

LOL! OK, so I'm BAD and you're wonderful because all you did was come on here just to tell me I'm bad and to point out what my options were. (as if I was clueless about dining options on my 13th cruise) :rolleyes:

See the entertainment value that Mr. Know It All is missing by being too good to come here? :D

In 13 cruises, we've never had an assigned table mate that we just did not like...until last week. Fortunately, we were seated at a table for 8, so there were other nice people that we could ATTEMPT to converse with. But Mr. Know It All was constantly butting in with his long, drawn out theory about EVERYTHING. I was telling them about Cruise Critic, and the other table mates were listening intently with genuine interest. Then Mr. Know It All butted in and stated that he didn't believe in wasting time at places like that, and he always goes directly to Carnival with his cruise criticism. :rolleyes: If this had been longer than a 5 day cruise, I would have had to find my dinner elsewhere. The other people were very nice, but this man was getting on my last nerve! I'm NOT glad my cruise is over, but I surely am glad I won't be dining with Mr. Know It All anymore! LOL! (It was a great cruise, anyway.)

Just a comment on the title of this thread....I agree with him that no one needs CC....Just some of us like it.....

As for him driving you nuts on going on and on I can give you lessons on how to tell someone to STHU....(Shut the he!! up).....It is easy and I just love doing that.....:D

Just a comment on the title of this thread....I agree with him that no one needs CC....Just some of us like it.....

As for him driving you nuts on going on and on I can give you lessons on how to tell someone to STHU....(Shut the he!! up).....It is easy and I just love doing that.....:D

Hmmm.... Don't know if I can agree with that. Some of us NEED CC! :D

He didn't really drive me nuts. He was just obnoxious, and we grew tired of his pompous attitude very quickly. Could not have stayed at that table another 2 days, had it been a 7 day instead of 5 day. I guess I'm too darned NICE to tell someone to STHU. :o

That would have been fun! I might have said it was a gift and was timed to conicide with my release from prison.

I would go on to say that at least out here no one knows all the things I have done. If that don't scare 'em off, nothing will! :D

Good one!!!;)

Hmmm.... Don't know if I can agree with that. Some of us NEED CC! :D

He didn't really drive me nuts. He was just obnoxious, and we grew tired of his pompous attitude very quickly. Could not have stayed at that table another 2 days, had it been a 7 day instead of 5 day. I guess I'm too darned NICE to tell someone to STHU. :o

I might have been a little more polite saying something like this....

"I remember cruising last year and sitting at a table just this size with a know-it-all guy that drove everyone nuts"....."Anyone ever meet anyone like that?"......LOL.....:D

I would though make sure no one had a drink to their lips before I said that....

Well some people don't know how to respond when they find out that other people have something to better to offer than they do. You were giving great advice, and that just outshined his tiny sun, so he had to interupt. Yeah, I will call Carnival to book a cruise, but if I want the truth, I find it here.:)

In 13 cruises, we've never had an assigned table mate that we just did not like...until last week. Fortunately, we were seated at a table for 8, so there were other nice people that we could ATTEMPT to converse with. But Mr. Know It All was constantly butting in with his long, drawn out theory about EVERYTHING. I was telling them about Cruise Critic, and the other table mates were listening intently with genuine interest. Then Mr. Know It All butted in and stated that he didn't believe in wasting time at places like that, and he always goes directly to Carnival with his cruise criticism. :rolleyes: If this had been longer than a 5 day cruise, I would have had to find my dinner elsewhere. The other people were very nice, but this man was getting on my last nerve! I'm NOT glad my cruise is over, but I surely am glad I won't be dining with Mr. Know It All anymore! LOL! (It was a great cruise, anyway.)

That doesn't sound like fun. We were on a Carnival cruise once (my wife and I) with another couple and were placed at a table with a very annoying and very religious family of 5 from washington. By day 3 I was so tired of the pre meal religious lectures and "saying grace" and "let's talk about the bible" that on day four all four of us showed up at the table drunk. We were NOT belligerent, we did NOT use foul language, but we were obviously under the influence. Our tablemate(s) talked about jeebus and how we were terrible sinners as we giggled and and had fun. The next day they requested another table! Awesome. The rest of the meals were great because they moved elsewhere!

Not knocking religion, just saying that when in a mixed group please keep your (crazy) opinions to yourself.

This is why NCL is number one in our books...freestyle dining!!

Inver

The moral of the story...if all else fails, annoy your tablemates by being yourself!

In 13 cruises, we've never had an assigned table mate that we just did not like...until last week. Fortunately, we were seated at a table for 8, so there were other nice people that we could ATTEMPT to converse with.

Hi, Jan! We met on the roll call for the Conquest in September 2008. Gratefully, we have not had the problem you encoutered but I always debate whether to use YTD to avoid that kind of situation. We enjoyed our tablemates on the Spirit last month. I prefer a large table of strangers than a table of four. The odds are better that way.

It is quite possible that the people who "could barely speak English" may not have understood how personal those questions were or even that they were asking how you paid for the cruise. Lord knows I've said all kinds of wild stuff attempting to communicate in other languages, but I've never had anyone blatantly make fun of me to my face like that about it. Just sayin'

As for bad table mates, I once traveled with some colleagues, one of whom walked around with the Cloud of Doom with the attitude to match. I felt really sorry for the 2 people at our table who were not with our group. The rest of us were polite to them & they were nice, but Ms. Doom & Gloom just would not let up. Had she sat nearer to me, I would have stabbed her with my fork. :mad: That's how obnoxious she was. Needless to say, we never saw the nice couple again. :(

This is why I get concerned when we don't request a private table. Every time we have set with other people we have absolutely loved it and made friends with our table mates. We still talk on fb.

However if we get someone or a couple that is completely annoying I will have a hard time handling it.

We had a tablemate like that on the Celebration...it was MISERY! We even skipped a nite of dinner because of it, and blessedly he and his wife skipped another!

But on the plus side of good tablemates, we are sailing in Nov with our tablemates from a cruise 3 years ago. Luck of the draw, I guess!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise:)

I have to agree....it's a luck of the draw.....2 of our cruises we traveled with others so we sat together.....on the other 6 cruises I can't think of any time we didn't enjoy the company......

Last year we sat with a couple that we so much enjoyed their company....we attempt to meet for dinner 1-2 times a year......

We also enjoy having breakfast and lunch in the MDR.....and get to meet so many others......

We are cruising this time with my Mom who has the great ability to strike up a conversation with anybody near her. For her sake, I called Carnival to ask if they could put in a request to have us put at a larger table in hopes of finding entertainment and friends for all of us. This could be an interesting adventure, but we are always up for something new, and there are always options on board.....

I would not be offended if someone at my table said a quiet prayer before eating.

Me neither...but unfortunately it wasn't that way (long story short, they asked us to join, and when we politely declined we were told to please stay quiet during their [excessively long] grace while they held hands etc...).

I didn't want to have a relgious debate so I kept quiet (science vs magic but it's still a fight you can't win with most people) so it just so happens that we showed up "in cups" (not planned btw) and the rest followed.

The prostitution thing might have been fun though...

Inver

We practice our faith but privately and I truly hate when people start to spout their religion and preach to you. I just very casually tell them that they are boring me to death, period - usually stops them in their tracks. I don't try to debate, argue, be nice,etc. I think there is a time and place for everything and my cruise vacation is not one of them.

It is quite possible that the people who "could barely speak English" may not have understood how personal those questions were or even that they were asking how you paid for the cruise. Lord knows I've said all kinds of wild stuff attempting to communicate in other languages, but I've never had anyone blatantly make fun of me to my face like that about it. Just sayin'

DH and I never asked any personal questions about them. WE did not ask how they paid for their cruise or any questions about their marriage arrangement. They understood correctly what was being said, because they asked the questions. Maybe some peole act like they are stupid and can't communicate, however, IMHO, they do understand when you talk about the $$$.We've experienced it many times over.

That doesn't sound like fun. We were on a Carnival cruise once (my wife and I) with another couple and were placed at a table with a very annoying and very religious family of 5 from washington. By day 3 I was so tired of the pre meal religious lectures and "saying grace" and "let's talk about the bible" that on day four all four of us showed up at the table drunk. We were NOT belligerent, we did NOT use foul language, but we were obviously under the influence. Our tablemate(s) talked about jeebus and how we were terrible sinners as we giggled and and had fun. The next day they requested another table! Awesome. The rest of the meals were great because they moved elsewhere!

Not knocking religion, just saying that when in a mixed group please keep your (crazy) opinions to yourself.

This is why NCL is number one in our books...freestyle dining!!

Inver

The moral of the story...if all else fails, annoy your tablemates by being yourself!

Heck if its wine then its Jesus juice :p

I've usually had great table-mates, but last cruise I had one bad apple. He was in bad health which brought out his grouchy side, so when I touched his french fries he attempted to embarrass me.

In my faux pas stupidity I learned a valuable lesson in manners, Don't touch an old fart's french fries !!! LOL

That's just it with mean people they are weak and they present their many buttons as if to just beg us to push those buttons. So when he proclaimed that he once wore high heels, I pushed that button by making a comment at his expense concerning men in high heels. His insults directed at me was great entertainment.

We had 2 couples at a table for 10 who were travelling together who wanted all of us to hold hands and pray a long prayer each night. Then they tried to evangelize to us-the other 6 was my family. They criticized our religions and criticized our glass of wine with dinner. No one was ever intoxicated. It was simply a nightmare. On the 4th evening I told them that they should pray and then join us in a Catholic blessing and a Jewish blessing. Then I added we'd be including a short rosary, just one decade. and of course I expected their full participation. They, of course refused, and I then added you see imposing one's religion on another is extremely rude and boorish. They didn't speak to us the rest of the cruise and we ate in peace.

We had 2 couples at a table for 10 who were travelling together who wanted all of us to hold hands and pray a long prayer each night. Then they tried to evangelize to us-the other 6 was my family. They criticized our religions and criticized our glass of wine with dinner. No one was ever intoxicated. It was simply a nightmare. On the 4th evening I told them that they should pray and then join us in a Catholic blessing and a Jewish blessing. Then I added we'd be including a short rosary, just one decade. and of course I expected their full participation. They, of course refused, and I then added you see imposing one's religion on another is extremely rude and boorish. They didn't speak to us the rest of the cruise and we ate in peace.

Hey that worked ! Feed them their own medicine.

You must have been with my brother in law!

Perfect. We would have done the same thing. It's one thing to ask others to participate in one's religious traditions, it's another to refuse to reciprocate the gesture. Good for you... and... mazel tov ;)

what do you do???..same as the way I answer a non- ID phone #...Female sex counselor...$19.95 a min..chg to your phone starting NOW

All right! this one is even better than answering the phone saying you're a police detective at a crime scene what do you want:D

Archived