Obnoxious table mate says he doesn't need CC

Grits53

DH and I never asked any personal questions about them. WE did not ask how they paid for their cruise or any questions about their marriage arrangement. They understood correctly what was being said, because they asked the questions. Maybe some peole act like they are stupid and can't communicate, however, IMHO, they do understand when you talk about the $$$.We've experienced it many times over.

Reminds me of strange characters I've had in my store who do not understand English until I say "POLICE"

I often wonder what goes on in a person's brain when they fully believe they should inflict their views to others (as in their way is the only way) My goodness the USA is chock full of a variety of religions and last I knew we were all entitled to practice such without someone TELLING us what we should be practicing:eek:

Some people are just butt heads. DH and a couple we met boarding were discussing politics. They were doing it in a gift shop, very softly, discussing government and military (hubby ex-army). This pip squeak comes from out of nowhere ranting and raving at the two men. Now mind you my DH is 6'3", 250 lbs, and so is John. They politely tell him their conversation is private and he wasn't welcome to join it. This moron would not shut up. It took two Carnival employees to tell him to LEAVE the gift shop. Don't you know we wind up seeing this horse's buttocks on an excursion? Smart guy tho' - we were on a small boat excursion, this time he kept his mouth shut:D

I respect other religions I just don't appreciate those (like the Jehovah's witness' that will not stop soliciting at my store) who want to cram their views as the only views down my throat.

I gotta say though it is quite hilarious when they sit folks who do not speak the same language at a table together. My husband tries so hard to inflict his smile and good morning, afternoon to others on our cruises. Time and time again he's gotten blank stares or "no english." We were once put at a table with Canadians who only spoke French. One quiet meal that was

Same thing with politics.

We were seated with a family a few years ago who, (once they learned we were from TX,) they nicely said.."Oh, where President Bush is from?" Naively thinking they were being sincerely nice, we said "Yes." Then they proceeded to get on a political rant, blasting him. My husband and I just remained silent. We didn't join in the conversation, but just looked at each other. I think they got the message (yes, we're Bush supporters.) For the rest of the cruise, they became the obnoxious know-it-alls too, dominating every conversation.

People have their own political and religious beliefs. They should be respected, and the best way to do that, is not to initiate either topic.

Anyone having my BIL sitting with him would throw his fanny overboard:mad:

He went on his first cruise with us on the Crown Princess. He was instantly an expert on cruise ships, food, you name it (was a cook in the Navy, this somehow made him a maritime genius)

By about the 5th night he was at the dinner table bragging about eating goat. I have a normally strong stomach, but the more he talked the more I felt nauseous. I've got my DH next to me who has no tolerance for regular food much less exotic choices. Finally my husband whispers to me, we are leaving the table or I'm going to kill him. We excuse ourselves and head back to our cabin. My mom and aunt seemed to know what was up and soon thereafter joined us in our cabin. I don't think we ate with the idiot for the rest of the cruise.

My SIL left his sorry A$$ last year. When we started planning the cruise we just took, he was mumbling to my SIL about going. I said who the **** invited you??? The real kicker was when he ran into our widowed friend who was going with us and booked in interior since he had to pay the fare of 2 people. Stupid says to him "I'd never go in an interior cabin" I said, "this from a guy who can't rub 2 nickels together, lost his house to foreclosure and has addiction problems???"

Lot to be said about cruising by yourselves:rolleyes:

We sat at a table for eight on one of our cruises..six of them were together and spoke french the entire time...seemed to be very nice people..but kinda boring for us

What I do not understand for this and the rest of the posts on this thread is - why did you stay at the same table with these people for the entire cruise? If this happened to me, I would request a change of tables.

DON

What I do not understand for this and the rest of the posts on this thread is - why did you stay at the same table with these people for the entire cruise? If this happened to me, I would request a change of tables.

DON

Some people don't think you *can* do that. Others don't have the intestinal fortitude to approach the MD and request it. Not everyone is you, Don. ;)

I always ask and try to be seated at a large table - the odds of meeting a few 'good' people are very high - and yes there might be one or two 'more interesting' people - but think of all those good stories you can tell when you get home! (or better yet the one night this 'couple' did not show up and we realized no one at the table really missed them at all ha ha ha:D)

Thanks to OP for initiating this interesting thread.

I don't quite understand giving up eating with strangers because of an occasional difficult tablemate. And some CCers seem almost proud of eating alone as a result. I suppose various people's tolerance for dealing with minor obstacles are quite different. I would hate to give up a desirable activity because some day maybe there might be a hitch of sorts.

I really do not mind discussing religion, politics or any other topic with tablemates, as long as the discussion is respectful. I almost always learn something -- about others or about myself -- in such discussions with intelligent individuals, even more so with those whose beliefs and culture are quite different from mine.

Bill

You could have eaten somewhere else.....went to Lido...changed tables or dining rooms....but no you decide to come to CC and complain. Your BAD !!!!!!!

That's your opinion, not a statement of fact. Here's my opinion. You're overly critical of somebody that just chose to share a story of their experience.

Our saying it doesn't make it so. If it did, which of our statements would be true? ;) :rolleyes:

This thread is interesting and makes me a tad nervous about what we'll get for our early dining option. Having our 4 year old with us will be a good distraction from unpleasant table mates, ;) but I'm sure hoping we get a good mix.

This thread is interesting and makes me a tad nervous about what we'll get for our early dining option. Having our 4 year old with us will be a good distraction from unpleasant table mates, ;) but I'm sure hoping we get a good mix.

If it's just the 3 of you, I'm betting you will be in a booth by yourselves with other families nearby.:cool:

I don't quite understand giving up eating with strangers because of an occasional difficult tablemate. And some CCers seem almost proud of eating alone as a result. I suppose various people's tolerance for dealing with minor obstacles are quite different. I would hate to give up a desirable activity because some day maybe there might be a hitch of sorts.

I really do not mind discussing religion, politics or any other topic with tablemates, as long as the discussion is respectful. I almost always learn something -- about others or about myself -- in such discussions with intelligent individuals, even more so with those whose beliefs and culture are quite different from mine.

Bill

I think I'd like to dine with Bill!

When I read posts like this, it just drives home the fact that lots of people are willing to rant in private, but aren't willing to speak up. Saying to someone, "I'm sorry, I was speaking." or "That topic makes me uncomfortable (or isn't appropriate dinner conversation), can we just talk about something else?"

And if a personal question is asked, you don't want to answer, just say "i'd rather not say."

It makes dining with strangers a lot more comfortable, and fun, if you speak up when you feel someone is being disrespectful.

DON

With us, it was a different sort of situation. We are easy going and can get along with most people. We actually liked all the other people at the table and enjoyed their company. So we chose to endure Mr. Know It All's obnoxious attitude. However, as I said, this was a 5 day cruise. This guy was progressively more irritating with each day. IF it had been a 7 day cruise, we would have been ready to make a table change halfway through. However, as it was, we thought we could hang in there for a 5 day. After all, had we changed tables, there was always the possibility that we would have ended up with a whole table full of know it all's or worse! :eek: (Like the saying, "jumping out of the frying pan into the fire".)

I think I'd like to dine with Bill!

When I read posts like this, it just drives home the fact that lots of people are willing to rant in private, but aren't willing to speak up. Saying to someone, "I'm sorry, I was speaking." or "That topic makes me uncomfortable (or isn't appropriate dinner conversation), can we just talk about something else?"

And if a personal question is asked, you don't want to answer, just say "i'd rather not say."

It makes dining with strangers a lot more comfortable, and fun, if you speak up when you feel someone is being disrespectful.

Please don't take what I am about to say as disrespectful to you, because I do not intend for it to sound that way at all. I'm simply stating a fact. People of my generation, who were brought up in the South, were taught "manners". It is considered rude, disrespectful, and a show of poor manners to interrupt someone when they are speaking....EVEN when that person rudely interrupted you. For this reason, I would have a hard time following your advice or example. Perhaps I'm "too nice", but it's the only way I know to be. It's who I am. I don't consider my original post as being a "rant". As someone else pointed out, I was simply sharing a cruise story. Anything wrong with sharing a cruise story on a cruise board??

Please don't take what I am about to say as disrespectful to you, because I do not intend for it to sound that way at all. I'm simply stating a fact. People of my generation, who were brought up in the South, were taught "manners". It is considered rude, disrespectful, and a show of poor manners to interrupt someone when they are speaking....EVEN when that person rudely interrupted you. For this reason, I would have a hard time following your advice or example. Perhaps I'm "too nice", but it's the only way I know to be. It's who I am. I don't consider my original post as being a "rant". As someone else pointed out, I was simply sharing a cruise story. Anything wrong with sharing a cruise story on a cruise board??

Honestly I wasn't as much referring to your post, as the many stories that followed it. But obviously you were annoyed enough to start a discussion, so it was something that was bothering you.

It is actually perfectly polite when cut off in a conversation to smile and say, Pardon me, but I wasn't finished speaking.

It's usually a statement that stops a chronic interrupter dead in their tracks.

And if people are engaging in impolite table discussion (I like to eat "insert your favorite childhood pet here) it's certainly not impolite to remind them of it by saying something about how the discussion is uncomfortable for you, and if possible, could we please switch topics.

It all depends on the way you say it.

Being polite, does not equal being a doormat. :)

Bill

You know, I agree with you when they're already friends or acquaintances, but meeting strangers and having to participate in those kind of conversations is alot like homework to me and not what I want when I've paid for a vacation. On vacation, I think it's all about what DH & I want to do. And we want to spend time with each other, converse with each other, and share our experiances. Getting in verbal, albeit polite, sparring with others is not our idea of a relaxing vacation. So you get to have your table for 10 and we get to have our table for two. Everybody's happy!:)

This is exactly why I always choose YTD. That way I only sit with people I want to sit with and can enjoy my dinner in peace. Sorry your dining experience wasn't up to par but glad that you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Take care,

Same here!

Op,sorry you had to dine with a not so nice person. I hate when that happens!

Bill

Very well said!

Archived