Pregnant and cruising?

parrotthead

First let me say.. NOT ME!

Just wondering tho... You "can't sail if you are more than 25 weeks."

Right? How do they know? What if it's not obvious? Some people "look" PG and are not actually... Some people don't look like they are, but indeed are.

So, how would the cruiseline know?

Randomness, I know, but I was wondering what your experiences is?

Edited by parrotthead

Good question. i have wondered about this myself. Can you imagine getting to be the carnival employee that gets to go up to a lady and ask how far along she is in her pregnancy and it turns out she isnt preggie?! i would be mortified. :eek: you'd never get me into a bathing suit that week. lol.

I would assume the cruiselines are looking out for the stupid.

DW was 5 months pregnant. We checked with OBGYN, who stated that the mid trimester was the safest time to travel.

Why a woman would want to jeopardize the life of themselves or their child if something goes wrong, and there are no facilities on board, or in the third world country they may be visiting.

Hearing they would want to hide it? WOW!

*IF* one were cruising and pregnant, and *IF* one were showing as if they were farther along than they really were, then it would behoove one to obtain a note from one's OBGYN.

My DW and I traveled last year while she was I think 24 or 25 weeks. There is a cut off set by the cruise line and the week we went was the last possible cut off date. We did need to get a note from the Doc to allow her to travel.

*IF* one were cruising and pregnant, and *IF* one were showing as if they were farther along than they really were, then it would behoove one to obtain a note from one's OBGYN.

Right!!! If you look obviiously pregnant, you cant board without the note.

Like others have said - Carnival cares in the sense that they will take no responsibility if anything happens after a certain number of weeks. It is risky to travel after a certain point and it really is protection for the person and unborn child. There is only so much that can be done to protect the stupid in our world. A friend of mine one time said she was going to get her doctor to write a note that she was only X number of weeks pregnant (can't remember if it was for a cruise though) so she could travel. The Dr (to her credit) said no and then told her to find another Dr as she no longer wished to treat her and that she was insulted that she would ask her to put her career in jeopardy. My friend was not a happy camper not only that she could not travel and she lost her Dr. Personally, I think she got what she deserved - I applaud the Dr.

we saw a very visible..more that 5 months pregnant...couple on the Freedon Med cruise in July 2008...on their honeymoon of course:rolleyes:..and they we dancing up a storm on the stage during the talent show....jumps..slides...all the kind of stuff that made them both look stupid and ridiculous...then I noticed the rest of her body was thin...only her belly was large...so she was either very pregnant or sufferring from a large tumor..or had the biggest beer gut in the world. I go with my first or last thought, btw!:D

doesn't really matter..they looked stupid. Personally, if a very pregnant couple..notice I say couple..because both would be making the decision to cruise at that point, I would think....wants to cruise at a late date...let them......they don't know how to make rational decisions anyway if they cruise...and no one can teach them by this point......only a tragety would teach them unfortunately.:(

My point.I've seen people who Look PG but are not... So do they need a note saying the are not? Just things that make you go "hmmmmm"

their age on their PP or BC may help to "clear" them of being PG. However, you ask a good question...if a big woman of childbearing years shows up at the dock...it could prove interesting though.

My guess is the Carnival employee will not say a thing and let them through as long as they have the proper documentation.

FWIW, I would like to hear a response or 2 from a cruiser that was in this position...either chubby or PG...and I would like to know what happened...also, a cruiser who was say 23 weeks PG...did they notice?..Did they ask for the DR's not? Or did you just show them the note..before you were asked?

So, if you were PG...and had a note..but didn't show it to them...were you asked? Did the even notice or care?

My feeling is that they don't care at all but post this rule for their liability..not yours. Doesn't take a Brain Surgeon to figure that one out.

If you are a big 30 yo woman...were you asked if you were PG?

Edited by Crusin6

Here's the policy from Carnival's site

PREGNANCY POLICY

Pregnant women are only allowed to sail if pregnant for 24 completed weeks or less at time of cruise disembarkation. All pregnant women are required to produce a physician’s letter stating that mother and baby are in good health, fit to travel and the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the estimated date of delivery (EDD).

I was pregnant when we cruised on the Crown Princess and they required a note from my OB/GYN be faxed to them. They also required that it be done in advance so bringing it with me to the terminal was not an option.

Edited by saharaga

Not care? You've got to be kidding! You have no idea how angry a health care professional feels when a pregnant person shows up with a complication they can't treat. Complications can happen without any warning, no matter how many easy pregnancies precede it. Twenty four weeks is considered the limit for viability, when the baby can be saved with the right equipment and have a reasonable expectation of normal development. Don't get me wrong...Delivering a baby less than 24 weeks is just as devastating, but to lose one because it is born in a place without the equipment to save it tears us apart. There used to be a campaign for something or other that said 'Be good to your baby before it is born'...EM (retired labor & delivery nurse)

I have a co-worker that looks VERY pregnant but she is not. Skinny legs and arms but an enormous belly, looks nine months along. She gets asked all the time "when are you due"?

I'm not sure what is wrong with her but not close enough to ask.

If she were to take a cruise I think she would be denied boarding.

their age on their PP or BC may help to "clear" them of being PG. However, you ask a good question...if a big woman of childbearing years shows up at the dock...it could prove interesting though.

My guess is the Carnival employee will not say a thing and let them through as long as they have the proper documentation.

FWIW, I would like to hear a response or 2 from a cruiser that was in this position...either chubby or PG...and I would like to know what happened...also, a cruiser who was say 23 weeks PG...did they notice?..Did they ask for the DR's not? Or did you just show them the note..before you were asked?

So, if you were PG...and had a note..but didn't show it to them...were you asked? Did the even notice or care?

My feeling is that they don't care at all but post this rule for their liability..not yours. Doesn't take a Brain Surgeon to figure that one out.

If you are a big 30 yo woman...were you asked if you were PG?

I sailed with NCL when I was 23 weeks pregnant. We doned it our babymoon. I am tall and slim, and had a very noticable bump, so I was clearly pregnant.

I had discussed the issue with my NCL planner, filled out all the appropriate paper work, gotten a letter from my doctor, and faxed everything in ahead of time. My NCL planner told me to take the original copies of my paperwork and doctors letter with me to the terminal "just in case....."

We had a suite and checked-in at the suite lounge. So there was no rush and no waiting crowd behind us to cause hurry. As my husband checked us in, another receptionist brought me a nice cold glass of lemonade and plate of finger sandwiches, and commented on how beautiful I looked (in regards to the pregnancy, I'm sure) No only did they not ask me for my letter, but at the end of the check-in process when we asked if they needed the paper work, she stated "Oh yes, I wasn't aware you were pregnant." She had no records of anything that was faxed previously and evidently was not going to mention my very obvious condition otherwise.

This was just my experience. We had a wonderful cruise, and I would encourage any woman who is pregnant, in good health with no complications, has her doctors blessing, and within the policy guidelines to go and enjoy. My only advice is to be careful booking shore excursions. Most identify which are not appropriate for pregnant women, but not all. Please use common sense.

I have a co-worker that looks VERY pregnant but she is not. Skinny legs and arms but an enormous belly, looks nine months along. She gets asked all the time "when are you due"?

I'm not sure what is wrong with her but not close enough to ask.

If she were to take a cruise I think she would be denied boarding.

There's quite a few metabolic diseases that give you a distended belly. One called Pompe, which was covered in the recent movie "Extraordinary Measures", in the adult onset version give you a pretty big belly.

I will be 18 weeks pregnant when I cruise next month, I was a bit nervous to be cruising while pregnant but I don't have complications and will definitely be doing my research as to what Carnival requires (letter to be faxed etc.)

As of right now I am obviously pregnant (2nd child) and can't imagine that anyone wouldn't ask me if I am pg on the cruise.

Here's the policy from Carnival's site

I was pregnant when we cruised on the Crown Princess and they required a note from my OB/GYN be faxed to them. They also required that it be done in advance so bringing it with me to the terminal was not an option.

But how did they *know* -- you told them in advance. What if someone just " did not say anything"?

Or those people who "don't know they are"

< remember the gal who had that( full term) baby on Paridese a while back >

Edited by parrotthead

we saw a very visible..more that 5 months pregnant...couple on the Freedon Med cruise in July 2008...on their honeymoon of course:rolleyes:..and they we dancing up a storm on the stage during the talent show....jumps..slides...all the kind of stuff that made them both look stupid and ridiculous...then I noticed the rest of her body was thin...only her belly was large...so she was either very pregnant or sufferring from a large tumor..or had the biggest beer gut in the world. I go with my first or last thought, btw!:D

Obviously she was a very healthy preggers and good for her..........I taught aerobics up to my 8th month;)

OP...one of the women in our wedding cruise that I organized was pregnant and they did ask her when her due date was....and she did have to present a doctors note.......

Edited by Kurbanfan

I will be 18 weeks pregnant when I cruise next month, I was a bit nervous to be cruising while pregnant but I don't have complications and will definitely be doing my research as to what Carnival requires (letter to be faxed etc.)

As of right now I am obviously pregnant (2nd child) and can't imagine that anyone wouldn't ask me if I am pg on the cruise.

actually, you could be a test case....since you will have all your papers, letters and doctor's OK....why don't you just check in as normal....DO NOT present your doctor's note...and see if they ask if you are pregnant?

You are no trying to hide anything...you have your OK's...you are not over 24 weeks...so you really don't have to even tell them, do you?

Again, you are not trying to hide anything....but it would be interesting as to how they handle you at check in. Will they ask? Will they think you are just heavy? Or will they just not notice?

actually, you could be a test case....since you will have all your papers, letters and doctor's OK....why don't you just check in as normal....DO NOT present your doctor's note...and see if they ask if you are pregnant?

You are no trying to hide anything...you have your OK's...you are not over 24 weeks...so you really don't have to even tell them, do you?

Again, you are not trying to hide anything....but it would be interesting as to how they handle you at check in. Will they ask? Will they think you are just heavy? Or will they just not notice?

Ohhhh!!! Yes, please be our Control Group! You have all your papers , so it's just a matter of seeing what They do.

;)

Edited by parrotthead

Thanks for the quick clarification because you were about to get a ***** phone call.;)

But how did they *know* -- you told them in advance. What if someone just " did not say anything"?

Or those people who "don't know they are"

< remember the gal who had that( full term) baby on Paridese a while back >

Kandy, I think it's a case if you know, but don't say, and manage to get onboard the ship and nothing goes wrong, you're okay. But if something goes wrong, then it's a case of the cruiseline saying we aren't in anyway responsible.