Closed to new passengers question

I know someone will know the answer to this question which the TA either can not or will answer with a yes or no:

Thinking of booking a Thanksgiving cruise with children and their families. Son-in-law is a pilot who won't have schedule until after Nov 1st. If we book a quad for daughter and 2 kids can we add him later if his schedule allows? Or have I read here that sometimes the ship fills to capacity in terms of the total number of passengers and no one can be added?

Thanks in advance!

If it is past final she can only book for those who will actually be going. She can pay for hubby but if he doesn't go she won't get a refund.

The ship has certain numbers that they are allowed. If they have made the magic number then she will not be able to add a fourth.

I know someone will know the answer to this question which the TA either can not or will answer with a yes or no:

Thinking of booking a Thanksgiving cruise with children and their families. Son-in-law is a pilot who won't have schedule until after Nov 1st. If we book a quad for daughter and 2 kids can we add him later if his schedule allows? Or have I read here that sometimes the ship fills to capacity in terms of the total number of passengers and no one can be added?

Thanks in advance!

Heard this statement on the travel channel, so it may not be accurate, but they said cruise line "capacity" is based on two people per room, and that most ships break-even at about 105% of stated capacity. I take from this that if the room sleeps four, and you currently have three in it, you should be able to add a fourth.

Heard this statement on the travel channel, so it may not be accurate, but they said cruise line "capacity" is based on two people per room, and that most ships break-even at about 105% of stated capacity. I take from this that if the room sleeps four, and you currently have three in it, you should be able to add a fourth.

That is not always the case. Sometimes (especially nearer to sail time) you will only be able to book doubles so you would need a second room for the third person.

The amount of lifeboat spaces is normally less than the amount of beds, if you include all 3 and 4 person cabins, that is why you may not be able to add a 4th person even if the room could hold it as the number of souls allowed onboard has already been met

I am sort of in the same situation. My family is sailing on Oasis for Thanksgiving. We knew 3 were going but were not sure of the 4th. I wanted to book the 4th to make sure there was room for him. Due to lifeboat limits, even if there is room in the cabin there might not be room in the lifeboat, so you can not always add a person later. I call royal and told them my situation. THey said I could cancel and get a full refund on the 3rd and 4th person in a room as long as I cancel 3 days before sailing. They said as long as the 1st and 2nd person travel - the reservation will still be active so we would have any penalities. I know sometimes the info received from Royal is wrong but this is what I was told about a month ago. Currently we have all 4 booked for Thanksgiving. As of now all 4 are going. But if we have to cancel the 4th I will call and see if I can get a refund.

So if I were you I would call Royal and explain the situation and see if they tell you the same thing.

Kathy

I am sort of in the same situation. My family is sailing on Oasis for Thanksgiving. We knew 3 were going but were not sure of the 4th. I wanted to book the 4th to make sure there was room for him. Due to lifeboat limits, even if there is room in the cabin there might not be room in the lifeboat, so you can not always add a person later. I call royal and told them my situation. THey said I could cancel and get a full refund on the 3rd and 4th person in a room as long as I cancel 3 days before sailing. They said as long as the 1st and 2nd person travel - the reservation will still be active so we would have any penalities. I know sometimes the info received from Royal is wrong but this is what I was told about a month ago. Currently we have all 4 booked for Thanksgiving. As of now all 4 are going. But if we have to cancel the 4th I will call and see if I can get a refund.

So if I were you I would call Royal and explain the situation and see if they tell you the same thing.

Kathy

And get it in writing!!

THey said I could cancel and get a full refund on the 3rd and 4th person in a room as long as I cancel 3 days before sailing. They said as long as the 1st and 2nd person travel - the reservation will still be active so we would have any penalities. I know sometimes the info received from Royal is wrong but this is what I was told about a month ago. Currently we have all 4 booked for Thanksgiving. As of now all 4 are going. But if we have to cancel the 4th I will call and see if I can get a refund.

Kathy

I agree. Email them this question and get their answer in writing.

Kathy

You might want to do as others have suggested and get whoever told you that to put it in writing. I called, explained the situation and was told:

"There is no policy that allows you to cancel while in the penalty phase and get all money back for any passenger no matter if it is for the first, second, 4th or 10th person in a cabin."

Thanks for all the quick replies. It appears the only safe way to know he would have a space is to risk the one person rate. Otherwise they tell me that ship capacity trumps any cabin size regulations and when the ship is full it is full.

Even though the idea of losing money stinks,,, since it is the 4th person, in the event he cannot go, and you cannot get your money back for that person. It is still worth the risk, rather than trying to add him later and being told no he can't go.

The cost for the 3rd and 4th person is minimal compared to the 1st and 2nd passenger anyway.

It also never hurts to ask if you can get the money for the 4th person who canceled to have that money as a shipboard credit since you are taking up less space, they are not having to feed that person or entertain them and it is already in their hands.

Refunds vs credits may be an easier pill to swallow for RCCL.

Maybe I should be concerned. I booked for 2 people and may want to add another person, possibly. I called three days in a row and asked three different people the same question to see if I would get a different answer.

I asked if I was not sure that the other person was coming would it be better to book for three and then drop the third later, or to add the third later when I was sure, or wait until I was sure to make the reservation. I was told each time that it would be better for me to book for two and add the third later when I was sure.

The reason for this was that if I waited, I would risk the prices going up and it was not likely that prices for Allure would go down, that if I booked for two right now the current price would be locked in when I added the third so I would not have to worry about an increase, and if I booked for 3, I would need to pay a $750.00 deposit right now when booking for two would only require $500.00.

I booked for two as it appeared I had nothing to lose, and I also doubt Allure prices will drop much if any. They booked me in a room that has both a sofa bed and a pullman bed in addition to the two twins so I was not worried about adding a third.

Now after reading this, I am worried and wondering why no one mentioned this to me any of the three times I called.

I was told each time that it would be better for me to book for two and add the third later when I was sure.

I booked for two as it appeared I had nothing to lose, and I also doubt Allure prices will drop much if any. They booked me in a room that has both a sofa bed and a pullman bed in addition to the two twins so I was not worried about adding a third.

Now after reading this, I am worried and wondering why no one mentioned this to me any of the three times I called.

I don't know why any of those reps would not mention this to you. I book for my family of 5 so I am familiar with being shut out of triples. If your cruise is during a school holiday or summertime, you have more risk of being shut out because so many people are travelling in larger groups vs. couples. I would book your third now.

Yes, 100% occupancy is defined to be all double berths filled.

Looking at RCCL’s (the entire corporate family including RCI/Celebrity/Azamara and others) occupancy rate was 102.5% in 2009 (recession), down from the 104.5% from 2008 and way down compared to the pre recession good old days of 2005/2006 where it was running at 106%+.

Since this is an average for the whole year, on the low season cruises, you will see less than 100%. Whereas on the high seasons (holidays), you will see it way above 100%. On our Carnival Holiday cruise in 2008, think they were running at 110%+ capacity for our cruise.

Given that OP is talking about a holiday cruise, I would be very surprised if any of the RCI ships sails off at less than 100%. Expect a fully packed ship with multi generational families and group gatherings.

The reason for this was that if I waited, I would risk the prices going up and it was not likely that prices for Allure would go down, that if I booked for two right now the current price would be locked in when I added the third so I would not have to worry about an increase, and if I booked for 3, I would need to pay a $750.00 deposit right now when booking for two would only require $500.00.

Don't assume the prices for Allure won't go down. We're booked for June 5, 2011 and I have already had 2 price drops for a total savings of over $1600!!! So never say never ;)

Don't assume the prices for Allure won't go down. We're booked for June 5, 2011 and I have already had 2 price drops for a total savings of over $1600!!! So never say never ;)

Do you get credit for the price drops? We are not going until September 2011. We are at $1139 for an Ocean View Balcony and I didn't think it would get lower, but I would love a price drop!!!

If you can claim credit, how do you do it?

Thanks!

I may be better to book him now, and cancel him if he CAN'T go! That way, you're assured there's room for him.

I think you are right. Even if it means losing $375 if we booked today it is better than leaving the poor guy home alone for Thanksgiving if he doesn't have a flight. It's also possible that if he has to fly part of the 9 day cruise that he could fly into one of the ports we are docked at and catch up with us if he were booked to start with.

Someone said the 3rd and 4th persons in one cabin are minimal. We're not finding that. Is that case on more expensive cruises? On this one there is a difference of about $20.

Someone said the 3rd and 4th persons in one cabin are minimal. We're not finding that. Is that case on more expensive cruises? On this one there is a difference of about $20.

It really depends on the cruise line and the sailings. I have seen some promotions where they have third or fourth passengers sailing either free or at $99. Other sailings the third and fourth passengers are almost as much as the first two. It really just depends on how full the ship is/will be.

Given it’s a holiday cruise, I wouldn’t expect much discount to apply on your cruise.

OK, I have a question for you guys regarding the life boats. Someone said that there is not enough room for everybody on the ship. What happens if the worse happens once they are full, do they say, I'm sorry bud.

OK, I have a question for you guys regarding the life boats. Someone said that there is not enough room for everybody on the ship. What happens if the worse happens once they are full, do they say, I'm sorry bud.

Yes there is enough for EVERYONE on board, who ever said that was WRONG!!!

Ship's capacity is less than beds on board. BUT they will not sell more berths than there are spots on the lifeboats. That's why, even if a cabin has a 3rd or 4th bed, you may not to be able to book a 3rd or 4th person into those cabins.

They have more beds than can be used so that people can have more choices of cabins, not because they will sell every single bed on the ship for every cruise.

Ship's capacity is less than beds on board. BUT they will not sell more berths than there are spots on the lifeboats. That's why, even if a cabin has a 3rd or 4th bed, you may not to be able to book a 3rd or 4th person into those cabins.

They have more beds than can be used so that people can have more choices of cabins, not because they will sell every single bed on the ship for every cruise.

I tried to book a triple on Princess for my DH, teenage son and myself. Even though there were triples available they would not accept the booking. They told me that the maximum number of kids on the sailing had been reached. If we had 3 adults - no problem we could have had our choice of cabins.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Under SOLAS regs, the ship has to have lifeboat/inflatable raft capacity that exceeds the maximum capacity of the ship, including both passengers and crew. Ships' published capacity is based on two passengers/cabin. As was stated previously. ships average well over 100% of published capacity. While a ship may never actually sail "full" (every conceivable sleeping space occupied), they routinely book in excess of 100% of published capacity.

Archived