Tours of the Rome Colosseum

NikonQueen

A lot depends on what exactly you're hoping for from a tour. If you want an "in depth" tour of the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill, I can highly recommend the tour offered by Context Rome (they offer small group tours but also private tours can be arranged).

On the other hand, you can do a satisfactory tour of the Colosseum just using a guidebook and/or one of the free downloadable mp3 tours, such as the ones offered by Rick Steves.

Tours are also available at the ticket booth. Guides are very good about getting groups of about 10 together and groups are always forming. The quality varies.

You can pick up a tour outside the Colloseum. The guides stand by the Metro entrance and carry clip boards and have badges on. last week it was 12 euros entry fee, and 13 euros for the tour. the tour includes the Colloseum, the Forum and Palentine Hill.

We have taken some tours through Rome Walks. They offer a very nice one of the Roman Colliseum and the Ancient City. Tour is in a group of around six to twelve people and we really enjoyed the tour guide.

Their web site is romewalks.com

You can e mail then with any questions and they are very responsive.

Keith

We used Romeinlimo for a full day tour of Rome. It included the coliseum, the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and more. It was the greatest day. You can also hook up with others from your roll call and that cuts the cost down. We used Romeinlimo for Florence and Naples, also. They were the best, knowlegable, friendly and just so great. I would recommend them always. madmarti:p

We used Romeinlimo for a full day tour of Rome. It included the coliseum, the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and more. It was the greatest day. You can also hook up with others from your roll call and that cuts the cost down. We used Romeinlimo for Florence and Naples, also. They were the best, knowlegable, friendly and just so great. I would recommend them always. madmarti:p

Just to be clear, though, it appears to me that the original poster is looking for a tour inside the Colosseum, and a RIL driver cannot do that -- you would have to book a guide through them as well, at an extra cost.

The morning the driver picked us up at our hotel in Rome, there was a guide with the driver. Her name was Catherine and was with us the whole day. She took us inside the Coliseum and the Vatican and every where else we went. We talked her into having lunch with us and that was great, we got a chance to sit and talk. I don't know why we got a guide, I thought we had only booked a guide for the Vatican. So you see I did know what the poster was asking. :rolleyes:

You can pick up a tour outside the Colloseum. The guides stand by the Metro entrance and carry clip boards and have badges on. last week it was 12 euros entry fee, and 13 euros for the tour. the tour includes the Colloseum, the Forum and Palentine Hill.

Those "guides" are unregistered, unlicensed & illegal

The morning the driver picked us up at our hotel in Rome, there was a guide with the driver. Her name was Catherine and was with us the whole day. She took us inside the Coliseum and the Vatican and every where else we went. We talked her into having lunch with us and that was great, we got a chance to sit and talk. I don't know why we got a guide, I thought we had only booked a guide for the Vatican. So you see I did know what the poster was asking. :rolleyes:

Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that it is not the norm for RIL tours to have a guide for the Colosseum. So if someone booked RIL, they should expect this, not your experience. Guess you were just lucky....!

Originally Posted by Andym

Those "guides" are unregistered, unlicensed & illegal

Oh no they aren't. They now have their official badges and licenses around their necks.

rsz_125.jpg.5ff730f6d3aecc94c962e04cf5c4da86.jpg

Originally Posted by Andym

Oh no they aren't. They now have their official badges and licenses around their necks.

How long does the tour normally last in each area?

Thanks, Wendy

Wendy,

This is the site for the company. You can book in advance or just turn up.We took the tour oft he Colloseum and it lasted about an hour. We then stayed in there, rather than taking the other 3 parts so can'tcomment on the length of them. The guide we had was great and as it says in their info, they are licensed.

http://www.specialqualityrome.com

Andy

Archived