Park and Cruise in New York City?

cruiselover87

We went on a Carnival Cruise out of NY in June. After tons of research I was very happy with our decision to stay at the Hyatt Place Secaucus. Not only did we park our car for the 10 days-not in the parking garage but one of the 10 spots outside the front door.(the front desk said to keep and eye out and when we spotted a spot to take it) The bus stop into the city was right outside the backdoor and ran us about 7 bucks a person round trip. To get to the cruise port we hooked up with Manny from Executive Car Service. We were so happy with his service that I asked for him specifically when we got back from the cruise. We called when the cruise docked and he was there within a half hour or so. He told us how he had kept an eye on his "Ohio" families car and even made sure the car started before we got back on the road to go home. He was great, and I am glad I left the driving to him. The phone number is 201-523-2434 (be sure to ask for Manny). The cost ran us around 100.00 round trip (I could be off a little, bad memory). Call and ask, it was well well worth the price. No charge for parking at the hotel either. Just my few cents....:p

thanks this seems like good info we will be around 20 people so we need a place before we go and parking 4 cars at the port seems rediculous

thanks this seems like good info we will be around 20 people so we need a place before we go and parking 4 cars at the port seems rediculous

If its possible for your group of twenty to meet at a common place (perhaps near one of your homes) you might do better to simply charter a small bus for your entire group. Another idea would be to call the cruise line and see if they can help get you a bus at a discounted rate (most cruise lines ocassionally provide bus transportation to the port).

Hank

well since all of our homes are in canada not going to park there however we are trying to stay in a hotel which will allow us to leave our cars..so i've been following this thread to see where to stay...

but a bus from the hotel might work so I'll look into it

thanks have a good cruise everyone:D

You have a lot of people to coordinate. That's a tough job. Homewood Suites is definitely the most convenient park/cruise near NYC, but it is pricey. I'd revisit www.trinityreservations.com for a less expensive sleep/park at Newark Airport. Then I'd check out Coach USA/Olympia Trails, which runs the bus service between Newark Airport and New York. If you go on your own round trip is $25/adults, children under 12 free/, children 12-16 $10 each way, and seniors 62+ $7.50 each way. Their web site also says to contact them about chartering, so perhaps you can make some arrangement for your group - a pick up at a Newark Hotel with drop off at the pier.

Let us know what you finally decide on. Usually we don't get questions about larger groups, so it would be really informative to hear what is out there, particularly with Coach USA for a group. Dealing with NYC is always a tradeoff among time, money, and stress.

Do I understand that the port for the ncl cruise out of new york is in Manhattan?not Brooklyn?

Also does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the airport to the port?

or did I miss this somewhere?

no doubt anyway thanks in advance..

Yes, NCL cruises from the Manhattan cruise terminal. Which airport are you asking about? In your earlier posts it sounded as though you are driving to the NY area, not flying. Transportation options from airport to the pier differ from each of the three airports.

There are buses from Newark airport to Port Authority in NY. It is a quick cab ride to the Manhattan pier. Wherever you stay, if you can find free parking and round trip transportation to the port for an average of $25/pp it is a good deal. How well will your group be able to handle luggage? That is a big question. If you stay at Homewood Suites, you can get a car service for 4 to NY for $90-$100 round trip. Ferry would be less, but would probably involve multiple trips by the hotel shuttle to the ferry plus transferring to a bus/cab in NYC. If you stay in Newark, you can get the bus to Port Authority, but you have to take a hotel shuttle to the airport, bus to NY, and a cab to the port. What are the ages of your group? Do you have a lot of "free" kids under 12? Do you all really have to travel together? Lots of questions to be answered with a group of 20.

I love the concern....so here's what i was thinking about the airport thing is that there are hotels to park at at the airport and if a person could get a shuttle from the airport to the port this would be a simple and effective way to handle all the issues...but perhaps in my cruise desired filled dreamworld this is a bit of a dream stretch! so any input would work for me...because I'm reeling from the decisions...I love being the one in charge of info...yeehaw!:eek:

There are buses from Newark airport to Port Authority in NY. It is a quick cab ride to the Manhattan pier. Wherever you stay, if you can find free parking and round trip transportation to the port for an average of $25/pp it is a good deal. How well will your group be able to handle luggage? That is a big question. If you stay at Homewood Suites, you can get a car service for 4 to NY for $90-$100 round trip. Ferry would be less, but would probably involve multiple trips by the hotel shuttle to the ferry plus transferring to a bus/cab in NYC. If you stay in Newark, you can get the bus to Port Authority, but you have to take a hotel shuttle to the airport, bus to NY, and a cab to the port. What are the ages of your group? Do you have a lot of "free" kids under 12? Do you all really have to travel together? Lots of questions to be answered with a group of 20.

oh as to ages we are split between the 40-55 group and 19-23 and 1 under 12...so we'll handle the luggage thing pretty well and not too much freebie going on...:)

Have you asked NCL if they offer a transfer from Newark Airport? The problem is that the cruise lines tend to charge a lot for that privilege. For $25/pp you can go round trip from the airport to Port Authority. From there you can walk or take cabs. I'd talk to the bus company to see if they can offer you a drop off at the pier and a pick up at your hotel. Basically your budget to move 20 people around is $500.

Many limo companies and shuttle services offer group rates. For example, you could contact Super Shuttle:

http://www.supershuttle.com/en/groups.aspx?Location=groups

Groups and ChartersIn any of the cities that SuperShuttle serves, we can provide group and chartered van services to meet your needs - whether you're looking to get 30 people to the airport or 10 family members to a barbecue. In many locations, we even offer a choice between mini and full sized coaches. To book your transportation for groups with fewer than 50 attendees, please call (800) 622-2089 (800) 622-2089 x2.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to get 4 adults and a child from Boston to the Manhattan cruise terminal for a cruise on the Jewel on February 27. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it is better/cheaper to park at the cruise terminal for a week, or try to get 2 one-way rentals.

Do any of you have any advice for this? We're hoping to drive in the day of the cruise (leaving at oh-ghod-early to aim to get there before noon).

1) Has anyone had trouble getting a parking spot at the terminal? I have a big fear that we'll drive all the way to Manhattan counting on parking at the terminal, and it's full.

2) If anyone has done one-way rentals, do you have a recommendation on where to rent from?

Unfortunately I think you're stuck parking at the pier. It will be $210. There is no way you can get 5 people round trip between Boston to NY for less money - that's $40/pp. One way car rentals will be more than $100 each way. Staying at Homewood Suites in Edgewater will cost you more than $210 as well.

Parking availability at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal has not been an issue. Even if there is a sign that it is full, you just tell them you are cruising and they let you in - they know the cruisers are coming and keep capacity for them.

Where exactly are you coming from in the Boston area? I make this trip several time a year. Mass Pike to I84 to I91 south at Hartford. Then the Wilbur Cross Parkway (exit 17?) which becomes the Merritt and then the Hutchinson River Parkway. At New Rochelle you take the Cross Couny Parkway staying left to the Saw Mill River south. This becomes the Henry Hudson at the NYC line and goes straight to the cruise terminal. I've done this many times on a Sunday morning and it is an easy trip if you leave early morning. DO NOT TAKE I95 THROUGH NEW YORK CITY!

You do need an emergency plan B in case of bad weather. My suggestion would be to look at hotels in Stamford or Secaucus area on Hotwire or Priceline and come down the day before.

Where exactly are you coming from in the Boston area? I make this trip several time a year.

We're coming from Watertown, so getting onto the Pike is no problem at all. That sounds like a great route. And thanks for the advice about the parking facility; I'll make sure to check with an attendant if it says they're full.

Someone else on this thread recommended parking first and carrying the luggage down to the check-in area, rather than dropping off the luggage and extra people. Do you think that's a good idea?

And thanks for the advice about getting a backup hotel! I'll hit the hotel sites and find something affordable around Stamford and make a reservation. We'll decide on Friday based on current weather reports whether we travel on Saturday or Sunday. We all have work/school on the Monday after the cruise, so pushing through will be the right answer unless the weather is truly dangerous.

The route is cars only from the time you get on the Wilbur Cross until you arrive at the pier. No big scary trucks on I95!

In case you do end up in a hotel, it is likely to be near I95. There are 2 "close" cutovers between the Merritt/Hutch and I95 - one is at Milford, CT and the other is at Rye, NY.

I'll let the New Yorkers comment on the logistics of the cruise terminal - I think the current suggestion is to just park the car and not attempt to drop off. There may be porters in the parking area for your luggage.

Going home should not be as bad as going - there will be no time pressure to not miss the ship. It will be later by the time you get on the road, so even if it's snowing the plows should be out already and you should be able to get at least part way home.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately I think you're stuck parking at the pier. It will be $210. There is no way you can get 5 people round trip between Boston to NY for less money - that's $40/pp. One way car rentals will be more than $100 each way. Staying at Homewood Suites in Edgewater will cost you more than $210 as well.

Parking availability at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal has not been an issue. Even if there is a sign that it is full, you just tell them you are cruising and they let you in - they know the cruisers are coming and keep capacity for them.

Where exactly are you coming from in the Boston area? I make this trip several time a year. Mass Pike to I84 to I91 south at Hartford. Then the Wilbur Cross Parkway (exit 17?) which becomes the Merritt and then the Hutchinson River Parkway. At New Rochelle you take the Cross Couny Parkway staying left to the Saw Mill River south. This becomes the Henry Hudson at the NYC line and goes straight to the cruise terminal. I've done this many times on a Sunday morning and it is an easy trip if you leave early morning. DO NOT TAKE I95 THROUGH NEW YORK CITY!

You do need an emergency plan B in case of bad weather. My suggestion would be to look at hotels in Stamford or Secaucus area on Hotwire or Priceline and come down the day before.

I was wondering if we are coming from the canada direction from quebec where do we go thru the city from ....which route is faster if you know?

thanks

That's a question for Greatam. Could you post your current plans again? You said something about 4 cars and 20 people and staying somewhere outside of NYC, perhaps in NJ? Do you want directions to your hotel area or to the pier in NY? We need lots of details so we can give you good advice.

little change but now we are 12 and i believe we are going to stay at holiday inn 57th street midtown if that makes sense...3 cars afterall...we need the best directions to get to the hotel without too much crazuiness and then the peir which i think is fairly close...

that's my story for now..thanks again

Archived