Park and Cruise in New York City?

cruiselover87

Couple questions for you experts on this board...

#1) Do you know of any park and cruise hotels near the manhattan cruise terminal, I will be cruising on the Norwegian jewel from Oct.23-31

#2) I was thinking of staying at the holiday inn in secaucus NJ and taking a cab to the cruise terminal, any idea how much a cab would cost?

#3) How much is parking a day at the cruise terminal? I might just skip the whole hotel idea and park my car at the terminal.

Any help or advice for my trip will be greatly appreciated

The hotel we recommend for park/cruise for the Manhattan Terminal is Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ. This hotel has a shuttle to the ferry at Port Imperial (about $8.50/pp) which will take you to 39th St in NY where you can take a quick cab ride up the waterfront to the pier. Car Service to the pier has been quoted at $45 each way. Folks have been very happy with this hotel. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1288311&highlight=homewood

None of the Secaucus hotels like Holiday Inn offer an official park/cruise. However folks have reported that they have made private arrangements with hotels like Hyatt Place to leave their cars. No one has reported being able to leave their car for a week at Holiday Inn. "Free" parking in this area is tricky because of its proximity to NY and the opportunity for abuse from regular commuters. I don't know how much a car service would be, but probably in the $45-50 range.

Parking costs $30/day at the Manhattan Terminal.

Where are you driving in from?

The hotel we recommend for park/cruise for the Manhattan Terminal is Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ. This hotel has a shuttle to the ferry at Port Imperial (about $8.50/pp) which will take you to 39th St in NY where you can take a quick cab ride up the waterfront to the pier. Car Service to the pier has been quoted at $45 each way. Folks have been very happy with this hotel. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1288311&highlight=homewood

None of the Secaucus hotels like Holiday Inn offer an official park/cruise. However folks have reported that they have made private arrangements with hotels like Hyatt Place to leave their cars. No one has reported being able to leave their car for a week at Holiday Inn. "Free" parking in this area is tricky because of its proximity to NY and the opportunity for abuse from regular commuters. I don't know how much a car service would be, but probably in the $45-50 range.

Parking costs $30/day at the Manhattan Terminal.

Where are you driving in from?

I was going to book the Hyatt Place but it was sold out, I keep calling Holiday Inn asking if I could park over the week and every time they seem extremely confused. No one can give me a definite answer, they tell me parking is free but not sure if I can park my car for a week. If I can park it at the holiday inn for a week I feel like this is by far the best deal.

Hotel: $148 after taxes

Cab rides: $37 total

Total: $185 for 7 night cruise

Parking alone at the cruise terminal would be $210 so I figure im saving $25 and getting a free night at a hotel. Ill keep you updated if I get more info

Let us know how it works out for you. As I said, none of the Secaucus hotels offer an official sleep/park, but folks have used Hyatt Place as well as the Sheraton in Weehawken. Rumor is that you can leave a vehicle in the Walmart parking lot as well.

Let us know how it works out for you. As I said, none of the Secaucus hotels offer an official sleep/park, but folks have used Hyatt Place as well as the Sheraton in Weehawken. Rumor is that you can leave a vehicle in the Walmart parking lot as well.

Sheraton Weehawken will not allow you to leave your car without a charge and I would never leave a car overnight at shopping center re: Walmart it will wind up being towed.

Someone posted that they worked a private deal with the Sheraton Weehawken to park their car for free while they were on a cruise. Is it true? I don't know. Folks have also mentioned parking at Walmart, but I agree with you - I wouldn't even consider doing that. Others have posted about parking at Hyatt Place. The point is that resourceful cruisers have made private arrangements with hotels to leave their cars while they cruise.

I agree with both of you I wouldnt feel safe parking in a walmart parking lot. The hyatt place uses the same parking lot as the holiday inn I believe. I called and they said parking is free but they dont know if I can leave it there for 7 days. They keep telling me they dont own the parking facility so they have no idea.

As I have said in previous posts I work for a surrounding town very close to Weehawken, bordering Edgewater..etc. The Sheraton is not on a private piece of property it is part of a complex of stores and office buildings, if the person they make as private arrangement with happens to screw up the car will be towed. The owners of most of these complexes do not care about deals made. If the hotel policy is to charge for parking I would not make a deal with someone in the hotel on the side. Around here the overnight parking ordinances are very strict so I would be sure that you can legally park for 7 days with the protection of a hotel that has a policy. Just my 2 cents but towing and storage around here can cost you hundreds of dollars.

I was going to book the Hyatt Place but it was sold out, I keep calling Holiday Inn asking if I could park over the week and every time they seem extremely confused. No one can give me a definite answer, they tell me parking is free but not sure if I can park my car for a week. If I can park it at the holiday inn for a week I feel like this is by far the best deal.

Hotel: $148 after taxes

Cab rides: $37 total

Total: $185 for 7 night cruise

Parking alone at the cruise terminal would be $210 so I figure im saving $25 and getting a free night at a hotel. Ill keep you updated if I get more info

Please note-NO WAY will you get a cab ride from NJ/Secaucus Meadowlands area/Holiday Inn for $37.00. If you do, that cab ride is the cheapest in NJ and won't be in business long. The tunnel tolls alone are $12.00. So maybe cab fare of $37.00 PLUS tunnel tolls (you will pay for BOTH ways) of $12.00 PLUS tip-the NORMAL $55-60 for a taxi from Secaucus to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Cruiselover87 - where are you driving from?

I agree with greatam's estimate for the cab fare to NY - it seems a lot more realistic than $37. Also, you only included a one way fare in your estimate. I figure you'll pay $148 for the hotel plus at least $110 for the cabs/car services for a total of $258.

:rolleyes:

Please note-NO WAY will you get a cab ride from NJ/Secaucus Meadowlands area/Holiday Inn for $37.00. If you do, that cab ride is the cheapest in NJ and won't be in business long. The tunnel tolls alone are $12.00. So maybe cab fare of $37.00 PLUS tunnel tolls (you will pay for BOTH ways) of $12.00 PLUS tip-the NORMAL $55-60 for a taxi from Secaucus to the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Tunnel tolls are only $6 you dont have to pay tolls to leave NYC. So it would only be $6 one way.

I used this site: http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en And it estimated aproximately $38 with tip included round trip. Your estimate of $110 is ridiculous for a 3 1/2 mile drive twice. While my estimate may be slightly low I think it is quite accurate.

Anyways no one over there can give me a straight answer so ill probably just wind up parking at the cruise terminal. Thanks for your help some of you...

Tunnel tolls are only $6 you dont have to pay tolls to leave NYC. So it would only be $6 one way. This is not true. Your cab will charge the toll each way because the driver will have to pay the toll to return to his point of origin and will pass that cost on to you.

I used this site: http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en And it estimated aproximately $38 with tip included round trip. Your estimate of $110 is ridiculous for a 3 1/2 mile drive twice. While my estimate may be slightly low I think it is quite accurate. The trip between NJ and NY is not governed by NYC taxi regulations and they charge what the market will bear. Taxi fare calculators are not accurate for a NY/NJ or NJ/NY trip.

Anyways no one over there can give me a straight answer so ill probably just wind up parking at the cruise terminal. Thanks for your help some of you...

You asked for advice and you got a straight answer from a premier expert on this forum. Greatam runs a trucking company and has drivers using both the NY metro roadways and the interstates on a daily basis. In addition Greatam frequently books rooms on Priceline for his employees and uses the metro area car services/cabs to move people around. We're lucky that he shares his expertise. I'm sorry you don't like the answers, but you asked the questions and you are getting good anwers.

If you are thinking of parking in NYC check out Icon Parking at the Skyline Hotel - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1231637&highlight=skyline

Tunnel tolls are only $6 you dont have to pay tolls to leave NYC. So it would only be $6 one way.to

I used this site: http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en And it estimated aproximately $38 with tip included round trip. Your estimate of $110 is ridiculous for a 3 1/2 mile drive twice. While my estimate may be slightly low I think it is quite accurate.

1. That is a NEW YORK taxi calculator. FAR different rules governing NY and NJ. NO taxi has to take you to/from NYC or NJ to the other state except to/from the airport (Newark) Taxis from NJ charge for tolls BOTH ways. You also have to find a taxi driver WILLING to go across state lines. They DO NOT have to take you ANYPLACE in the other state except to/from EWR. THOSE are the rules set by each state's taxi commission.

2. I have taken a taxi from that very area into NYC many times (I have business in both areas). Secaucus Taxi (right in the area of the Holiday Inn) sometimes runs specials of about $45.00 plus tip. THAT is about as cheap as I have ever paid. $50-55 is the norm.

As you can plainly see from Secaucus Taxi's website, taxi fare FROM the Holiday Inn TO La Guardia airport is $80.25 without tip. NORMAL taxi fare from most anyplace in Manhattan to LGA is about $30-35. So it definitely computes to a $45-55 taxi fare from NJ TO Manhattan.

http://secaucustaxi.*****.com/

"Tunnel tolls are only $6 you dont have to pay tolls to leave NYC. So it would only be $6 one way. This is not true. Your cab will charge the toll each way because the driver will have to pay the toll to return to his point of origin and will pass that cost on to you. "

No...the reply in red is wrong. The driver doesn't have to pay a return toll because there is no return toll. The toll is only collected on the trip from NJ to NY, so the full roundtrip toll has already been paid on the inbound trip.

I wasn't clear but I'm not sure how to say it. The OP goes one way, but the cab goes round trip and charges for the toll. So when the OP goes round trip, he pays the toll on each leg of the trip for a total of $12. Am I making better sense? I'm even confused.

Tunnel tolls are only $6 you dont have to pay tolls to leave NYC. So it would only be $6 one way.

Wow! As a new CC member, you won't be getting much future help with replies like this one.

Why ask questions if you don't want answers?

Stay in Manhattan, park at the Manhattan terminal. No more questions necessary. :rolleyes:

I wasn't clear but I'm not sure how to say it. The OP goes one way, but the cab goes round trip and charges for the toll. So when the OP goes round trip, he pays the toll on each leg of the trip for a total of $12. Am I making better sense? I'm even confused.

OK...now I understand. I thought you were talking about the toll for one leg...inbound from NY to NJ. You're talking about two cab rides, one on embarkation day and one on disembarkation day.

FWIW, the Lincoln Tunnel toll is $8...so for two cab rides it's $16.

Yes, but the cabs use EZ Pass and there is some sort of discount which makes it about $6.

New York City (yellow) taxis must use EZ Pass by NY Taxi and Limo Commission rules, but that is not the case for NJ car services. However it makes good sense for them to have the EZ Pass regardless.

However, the EZ Pass discounts for the Hudson River (GW, Lincoln, Holland) crossings are applicable during off-peak hours only...you do not get a discount merely for having EZ Pass. I know the limo services I use charge the full $8 toll regardless. The don't want to keep track of when a car passes through the toll booth (and they're more than happy to pocket an extra buck or two ;)).

Wow! As a new CC member, you won't be getting much future help with replies like this one.

Why ask questions if you don't want answers?

Stay in Manhattan, park at the Manhattan terminal. No more questions necessary. :rolleyes:

I agree,that post from a newbie sounded pretty rude to me.All of you here have been very helpful.

Laura

I live in NJ, and $110 sounds just about right. That 3 1/2 miles into the tunnel can take 45 minutes or longer during a busy time. We live 8 miles outside of the tunnel, and it used to take DH about an hour to get to work. I just got a quote of $200 one way from my house to the port for a 10 passenger van.

We went on a Carnival Cruise out of NY in June. After tons of research I was very happy with our decision to stay at the Hyatt Place Secaucus. Not only did we park our car for the 10 days-not in the parking garage but one of the 10 spots outside the front door.(the front desk said to keep and eye out and when we spotted a spot to take it) The bus stop into the city was right outside the backdoor and ran us about 7 bucks a person round trip. To get to the cruise port we hooked up with Manny from Executive Car Service. We were so happy with his service that I asked for him specifically when we got back from the cruise. We called when the cruise docked and he was there within a half hour or so. He told us how he had kept an eye on his "Ohio" families car and even made sure the car started before we got back on the road to go home. He was great, and I am glad I left the driving to him. The phone number is 201-523-2434 (be sure to ask for Manny). The cost ran us around 100.00 round trip (I could be off a little, bad memory). Call and ask, it was well well worth the price. No charge for parking at the hotel either. Just my few cents....:p

Archived