Best Shoes/Sandals - Caribbean

Jfultz81

Its been a little while since we've done a Caribbean cruise (and this is our first Eastern, so lots more beaches) and I'm looking for some new shoes. I'll mostly be wearing capris during the day and need a cute shoe/sandal that's comfortable to walk in and won't matter much if it gets wet. I would like something that can either be worn with socks or without.. I'm lost! Help!

I would like something that can either be worn with socks or without.. I'm lost! Help!

I can't help you with a specific sandal but wanted to say one thing... :)

Jen - with all due respect, please reconsider the "socks and sandals" look. It's really quite awful. No offense to anyone here - but it just shouldn't be done. If a person must wear socks, then I'd advise a closed-toe shoe. Sandals are meant to be worn without socks of any kind. I realize you (or others) may be diabetic and wearing socks is preferred, so in that case again I would recommend a closed-toe shoe. JMO, obviously.

Personally, I take a pair of cheap flip flops for beach days; it doesn't matter if they get wet. If I am spending serious money on cute sandals, I do not want them to get wet.

Enjoy your Eastern cruise. :)

No, oh the horror of socks and sandals! I'm needing a pair of shoes and a pair of sandals.. after rereading, I didn't make that clear! I would like a pair of shoes that can be worn with or without socks and a pair of sandals that are not flip-flops, but are comfy enough to be worn while walking around and in the water, if I need to. I have tons of shoes, but I'm trying to find some that can do double duty!

Aside from rubber flip-flops, no other "nice looking" sandal should be worn in the water...

Flip flops take up next to no space, so bring them for the beach. You can stuff another pair of sandals in the suitcase for "dry" wearing! Some folks will wear a "water shoe", both at the beach and on land, but they are totally ugly...I wouldn't do it.

On trips where I need to pack light (therefore taking multipurpose shoes) I love my tevas with closed toe. I can hike in them (did some hiking in Dominica) and I can walk on the beach & in the water in them. I cannot walk for any distance in flip flops. The only time I wear those is when I'm getting a pedicure - I require more support in my shoes. I did a trip to Costa Rica and my tevas were the only shoes I brought - wore them with a sundress to go out to dinner and with a sports bra to hike in the national park during the day:D

This is the shoe I have: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/354,88689_Teva-Toachi-Sport-Sandals-For-Women.html

On trips where I need to pack light (therefore taking multipurpose shoes) I love my tevas with closed toe. I can hike in them (did some hiking in Dominica) and I can walk on the beach & in the water in them. I cannot walk for any distance in flip flops. The only time I wear those is when I'm getting a pedicure - I require more support in my shoes. I did a trip to Costa Rica and my tevas were the only shoes I brought - wore them with a sundress to go out to dinner and with a sports bra to hike in the national park during the day:D

This is the shoe I have: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/354,88689_Teva-Toachi-Sport-Sandals-For-Women.html

I second Hoyaheel's Teva suggestion and I too have worn them with sundresses, long skirts, etc.

My first thoughts reading your post were Keen or Teva! I have several pairs from both brands, and absolutely love them. They are cute, waterproof and very comfy. I generally buy mine from Zappos for the free (and fast!) shipping, but REI often has great stuff in their outlet section- usually last year's colors at a great price. Good luck in your shoe/sandal search. :)

I have these Crocs in three colors--they have excellent support (I've worn them for 12+ hrs on my feet) and have no problem walking into the water along the beach while wearing them. There are also several styles that can be worn with/without socks at crocs.com

10386_41U.jpg

I love Onesole shoes! I now own three different pairs of soles and over a dozen snap-on toppers (there are over 1000 to choose from!) that can be interchanged between any of the soles. When we travel I wear one sole, pack one more and then carry a variety of the tops in a little drawstring bag I can stick in a side pocket of my carryon or suitcase. Saves so much space over packing traditional shoes! The strappie ones are GREAT for formal wear. Have a look-see at their website: http://www.onesole.com/

However, I buy most of mine on Ebay for discounted prices. I find them very comfortable and infinitely versatile. Love, love, love them! (PS - they can become VERY addictive!!:))

I love Onesole shoes! I now own three different pairs of soles and over a dozen snap-on toppers (there are over 1000 to choose from!) that can be interchanged between any of the soles. When we travel I wear one sole, pack one more and then carry a variety of the tops in a little drawstring bag I can stick in a side pocket of my carryon or suitcase. Saves so much space over packing traditional shoes! The strappie ones are GREAT for formal wear. Have a look-see at their website: http://www.onesole.com/

However, I buy most of mine on Ebay for discounted prices. I find them very comfortable and infinitely versatile. Love, love, love them! (PS - they can become VERY addictive!!:))

I love my Onesoles also and take them on every cruise, but you can't wear them in the water. I wore mine in a downpour once and the insole of the bottom got so slippery from the water that my foot was sliding over the front edge with the stretchy neoprene topper. I looked like 'Bambi on ice' trying to run to my car! Still love them though on dry days.

Wow, didn't realize that pic was so large. Sorry. :eek::D

I bought that Keen and couldn't even walk in them. They just felt like they were slipping all over my foot. I gave them to my daughter. That was the third pair of Keen I had purchased and felt that they had no support at all. Maybe it is just me but I would much prefer to wear Tevas.

Keen & Teva sandals fit very differently. I haven't met many people who can wear both comfortably. Keen sandals just don't fit my feet properly. I do own some Keen ankle boots and they fit fine. My husband is the same way - he doesn't like the way Keens fit but Teva and Columbia sandals fit fine. Just have to try them on. We get most of our stuff through Sierra Trading post for the cheap cheap prices.

Keen & Teva sandals fit very differently. I haven't met many people who can wear both comfortably. Keen sandals just don't fit my feet properly. I do own some Keen ankle boots and they fit fine. My husband is the same way - he doesn't like the way Keens fit but Teva and Columbia sandals fit fine. Just have to try them on. We get most of our stuff through Sierra Trading post for the cheap cheap prices.

We also agree on that - love Sierra Trading Post.

I bought that Keen and couldn't even walk in them. They just felt like they were slipping all over my foot. I gave them to my daughter. That was the third pair of Keen I had purchased and felt that they had no support at all. Maybe it is just me but I would much prefer to wear Tevas.

Aren't shoes funny? I have the Keen Bali in 3 colors and love them. We all have different feet and support needs for sure. ;)

I have an option for you, but they aren't "cute"... Vibram Five Fingers. I'll be bringing my pair of VFF KSO's in black for use on the islands. I don't mind having frog feet, given how comfortable they are. You NEED to be good with barefoot walking skills before throwing these on and going. If you don't have farm girl feet from walking barefoot everywhere you will need to break yourself in slowly, a couple hours and then build from there. Best part is they work as water shoes and sport shoes, though I don't know yet if they will let me wear them on the zip line... I hope so, since I skydive in them. :eek: Liability, schmiability...

If I didn't plan to wear them in the water I would bring my classics but I bought them too big and don't want them to swim away. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these shoes. I wear them with skirts all the time, but then again I'm weird. :D

I have an option for you, but they aren't "cute"... Vibram Five Fingers. I'll be bringing my pair of VFF KSO's in black for use on the islands. I don't mind having frog feet, given how comfortable they are. You NEED to be good with barefoot walking skills before throwing these on and going. If you don't have farm girl feet from walking barefoot everywhere you will need to break yourself in slowly, a couple hours and then build from there. Best part is they work as water shoes and sport shoes, though I don't know yet if they will let me wear them on the zip line... I hope so, since I skydive in them. :eek: Liability, schmiability...

If I didn't plan to wear them in the water I would bring my classics but I bought them too big and don't want them to swim away. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these shoes. I wear them with skirts all the time, but then again I'm weird. :D

They have got to be the weirdest shoes I have ever seen. Straight out of Creature from the Deep.

I have wide feet. Any suggestions for me? Zappos doesn't have Tevas and Keens in wide. I did buy some Keens and they are okay for comfort on the sole but not wide enough and I got some wierd callouses on my feet. Would love to find something cute and comfortable for our cruise next year.

I have wide feet. Any suggestions for me? Zappos doesn't have Tevas and Keens in wide. I did buy some Keens and they are okay for comfort on the sole but not wide enough and I got some wierd callouses on my feet. Would love to find something cute and comfortable for our cruise next year.

I have wide feet and I'm okay in ECCO sandals and shoes. I live in their walking sandals all summer.

I wore a pair of ECCO "Belize" MaryJanes on my last cruise and they can also go in the water.

I have wide feet and I'm okay in ECCO sandals and shoes. I live in their walking sandals all summer.

I wore a pair of ECCO "Belize" MaryJanes on my last cruise and they can also go in the water.

I have decided that my problem is my feet not the shoes. Speaking of Ecco I had a pair of flats that I loved then I invested in a pair of sandals which were well over $100. They absolutely killed me. The same thing happened with Mephisto and Merrell. My daughters inherit lots of shoes.

Archived