Dramamine Vs. Bonine

globe9

My GF and I are cruising on the Triumph in about a month. She gets seasick and has always taken Dramamine. I never used to get seasick, but it seems as if the older I get, the more it becomes an issue. I haven't thrown up or anything, but there are times when I feel queasy. I also feel the motion of the ship for a few weeks after we've returned home as well.

I decided to be pro-active and try to combat any seasicknesses and maybe help with the post-cruise feeling of motion.

I bought a package of Bonine from Wal-Mart the other day. It's chewable and raspberry flavored. The package also states that it works up to 4 times longer and causes less drowsiness than original Dramamine.

My GF tells me that original Dramamine causes some serious drowsiness, which is why she takes the less drowsy formula.

I'm just concerned about feeling sleepy or drowsy during the day while on the cruise. I don't take naps and don't like feeling drowsy in the middle of the day. Is the Bonine I purchased going to cause this feeling?

I've read many threads on here where people choose Bonine, but not many people seem to mention Dramamine.

Which one would be best for me? I want the one that will last the longest, but will also cause the least amount of drowsiness or NO DROWSINESS if at all possible. Does this exist?

Thanks!! I've never really had to deal with this issue before, but I want to make sure I've made the right decision before it's too late and I'm passed out in the cabin at 1pm on a beautiful day:D

I took Bonine on our last cruise, took it at bedtime and felt drugged the whole next day. It says causes less drowsiness on the box. I had taken it on our last cruise with no problems. I know that Dramamine really knocks me out. Everyone is different, maybe you could try it before you cruise to see how you react.

I take Meclizine (Bonnine generic.) Chew half a tablet the morning of the cruise. Works great! Take each day if needed, otherwise, if the seas are particularly high, take a whole tablet. Ginger also helps. Give the Bonnine or Meclizine a try before you cruise, but choose a day when you don't have to do anything...like drive. ;)

Bonine hasn't caused drowsiness for me, but Dramamine does. Be sure to chew one before your flight (if going the day of the cruise) or after breakfast before you step on the ship. It's good to get it into your system before the ship starts moving.

I suffer from motion sickness like your GF. I take one full Bonine starting the NIGHT before the cruise. That way, if it does cause some drowsiness, I sleep it off. I take it each night while on the cruise and have had no problems.

One cruise, the Capt told us it was going to get a bit rough due to the weather one afternoon, so I took an extra half a pill and never once got sick.

It really depends on how fast or slow your metabolism is. Mine is slow, so taking the 1/2 pill in the morning doesn't make me sleepy until after dinner, but does the trick with nausea all day.:) If I took it at night, I would be sleepy the next morning into lunch. Also, taking a whole pill makes me really sleepy. My husband can take a whole without trouble. That's why I suggest you do a test. ;)

I take Meclizine (Bonnine generic.) Chew half a tablet the morning of the cruise. Works great! Take each day if needed, otherwise, if the seas are particularly high, take a whole tablet. Ginger also helps. Give the Bonnine or Meclizine a try before you cruise, but choose a day when you don't have to do anything...like drive. ;)

I take two tablets daily. If you weigh more than 140 lbs a half a tablet is going to do nothing for you.

BTW, no drowsiness, and no effect when consuming adult beverages. Much better than dramamine.

It really depends on how fast or slow your metabolism is. Mine is slow, so taking the 1/2 pill in the morning doesn't make me sleepy until after dinner, but does the trick with nausea all day.:) If I took it at night, I would be sleepy the next morning into lunch. Also, taking a whole pill makes me really sleepy. My husband can take a whole without trouble. That's why I suggest you do a test. ;)

I second the whole Test notion.....I get car sick really, really bad and was worried I would get sea sick also....I bought the non or less drowsy Bonine and per suggestions from CC, I started taking it the night BEFORE my cruise....most medicines really affect me and Dramamine puts me out COLD, but the Bonine never affected me that way....I faithfully took it every night at bedtime, and was fine the next day, no drowsiness or sleepiness for me....I also swear by the Seasick bracelets....I got them at Wal Mart for about $10.00....wore them the whole trip....only time I ever felt queasy at all was when I took them off one night to shower....Maybe it was all "in my head", but once I put them back on, the queasiness went away....

Bonine and Dramamine II(NOT the original one) have the same ingredient called Meclazine. You can also buy Meclazine itself without the brand prices in many stores.

The difference seems to be that the Bonine is chewable and the other Meclazine products are pills.

I take one a day and a 2nd one if the seas are really rough!

My DH MUST take 2 (one morning and one night) to prevent HIS seasickness.

I took Bonine - less drowsy kind - and, unfortunately, I was drowsy all day. I had taken Ginger Gravol with me and took it instead and I was fine. I guess it really depends on your metabolism etc...Great advice was given to you - to try it before you cruise.

My family tells the story of me falling asleep while we were playing cards on the Freedom. I took Bonine on that cruise. I agree that it depends on how you react to medicine. I'm going to take a half pill next time cruise. I still think Bonine works well, as I'm very prone to seasickness. They also have a children's formula.

My husband likes the patch.

I took Bonine on our Spring Break cruise and it worked great for me! My pharmacist recommended it over Dramamine.

Unfortunately, I did not take it until the day of, and that was too late. Honestly, it felt like a baby was moving in my head. After the first day, though, I did not have any more motion sickness. Like the other posters say, it is imperative to take it the day BEFORE the cruise!

I take two tablets daily. If you weigh more than 140 lbs a half a tablet is going to do nothing for you.

As I said, it depends on your metabolism, and each individual person. I weigh much more than 140, and the 1/2 tablet works fine for me. Without it, I do get queasy.

Bonine and Dramamine II(NOT the original one) have the same ingredient called Meclazine. You can also buy Meclazine itself without the brand prices in many stores.

The difference seems to be that the Bonine is chewable and the other Meclazine products are pills.I take one a day and a 2nd one if the seas are really rough!

My DH MUST take 2 (one morning and one night) to prevent HIS seasickness.

My Meclizine is chewable.

BTW - Does anyone know if Meclizine loses its potency? Our bottle came with 100 tablets, and it is about 5 years old. Worked last time, but I wonder if I should chuck it and buy a new bottle. I was once told by a nurse that if pills have not turned to powder, they are good to go. Capsules are another story. I know that our local missions collect unused and expired meds to take to Mexico, so they must be OK.

I took Bonine on our Spring Break cruise and it worked great for me! My pharmacist recommended it over Dramamine.

Unfortunately, I did not take it until the day of, and that was too late. Honestly, it felt like a baby was moving in my head. After the first day, though, I did not have any more motion sickness. Like the other posters say, it is imperative to take it the day BEFORE the cruise!

Not necessarily the day before, but at least several hours before you embark (the ship starts moving.) ;)

My family tells the story of me falling asleep while we were playing cards on the Freedom. I took Bonine on that cruise. I agree that it depends on how you react to medicine. I'm going to take a half pill next time cruise. I still think Bonine works well, as I'm very prone to seasickness. They also have a children's formula.

My husband likes the patch.

LOL....I took a Bonine - non drowsy - yeah right! We then proceeded to go to the private island of RCL and I was actually sleeping and drooling on the chair :eek: that was it for me lol....I stayed drowsy all day. But the children's formula maybe??? anyways Ginger worked for me. Although I must admit to not even knowing if I was prone to seasickness or not - I took it as a preventative measure :p

I take Meclizine (generic Bonine). It does make me drowsy, but that's much better than the alternative of getting seasick. I find that if I am sitting in a chair or laying by the beach or pool I will fall asleep. I can totally fight that drowsiness by getting up, walking around and doing some sort of activity. Regular Dramamine...not a chance of fighting it.

Bonine!!! Even the less drowsy Dramamine will make you sleepy. I have never gotten sleepy from the Bonine. I HAVE to take something for motion sickness, and Bonine helps me completely. I take one first thing in the morning and the other one 12 hours later...usually right before going to dinner. They also sell it in the cruise gift shops.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!

I have to agree that you should test it out before hand.. I don't find the med I use which is Gravol (here in Canada) makes me drowsy.. but I take it every morning starting the day before and 2 days after the cruise to stop the rocking feeling.. but I do know that many of my friends have and do use it to help them sleep...

My advice is to take it at night before bed and hopefully if you are the type that is does make you drowsy that you will be able to sleep it off and enjoy your day.. and take it again when bedtime comes around;)

Another thought is go to your Dr. and get that patch behind the ear.

Bonine had never made me drowsy, but I also don't think it really works for me.

I have never needed anything on a cruise ship yet.. but on boats, whether for excursions or just off shore for the day here at home I have loaded up on Bonine (starting the night before) and still ended up feeding chum to the fish overboard.

I've avoided Dramamine beause of the drowsy effects....

I have personally taken the bonine...and It worked great...on the cruise one night when the ship was really rocking i was grateful I had taken it.

We chartered a deep sea fishing trip and I thankfully used the Bonine and had zero problems as well.

I tend to stay away from anything that may cause me to be sleepy...as many medications do.

Archived