Confused about required travel docs for kids traveling with one parent

annimal

Hi, I am taking my son on a sailing next spring in Europe on Royal Caribbean. We'll be traveling with several family members, but my husband cannot make the trip due to work issues. From what I understand of required travel docs, I need to bring my son's passport as well as an official copy of his birth certificate showing my name and my son's name to connect us as parent and child since I still retain my maiden name and my son has my husband's last name. However, I am reading various threads about people recommending having a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent that states consent of the other parent taking the child out of the country and/or for general travel. Since I am an actual parent of my child and not just an adult guardian, do I need to have the notarized consent letter from my husband or does that just apply to adults traveling other people's children?

According to RC's website, it says that I only need to provide the child's passport and birth certificate. What about for our flights in and out of the US and Europe as well as Customs on both ends?

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Even though you're the parent and you're married, it's a "rule" moreso than a "law" (I think) to ensure a parent doesn't kidnap their own child from their spouse. Sadly, it happens. I was researching the letter (I'm divorced) and there is information "out there" about needing the letter if the child is traveling with one parent--regardless of marriage, divorce, name matching, etc. You might not be asked for it, but if you are and don't have it, it would be a headache to deal with! And considering your last names don't match and you already will have to show paperwork, that's possibly going to put up a red flag that they'll want to see it, too. Just Google for what to include in it: basic info, dates and location of travel, etc.

Yes, bring the letter. My friend cruised without her husband and missed her flight back home because she was detained by officials as they got off the ship (not when they got on, go figure -- she was trying to go home :rolleyes: ) Her husband had to find a form, get it notarized, get it faxed before they would let them through, and between that wait, then the wait to get a new flight reassigned (complete with change fees from the airline), then the wait for the new flight, the kids were FRIED by the time they got on the plane, making for an interesting trip.

I am my children's legal and birth parent, but because I travel alone with them, I have been asked by U.S. authrorities to show proof that I am allowed to be transporting them in/out of the country. I welcome this because I know it will save some other parents from the heartbreak of having their children removed from the country by spouses without their consent. I don't know what the legal requirements are, but I would not chance missing a flight because I did not have the proper documentation to show officials who request it as I leave or enter the country (and I've been asked in both directions).

Best,

Mia

For a European cruise, you will probably never need this letter, but as advised, if you don't have it, you know you'll be asked for it!

Along with your other paperwork, take the notarized permission to travel letter signed by dad.

For a European cruise, you will probably never need this letter, but as advised, if you don't have it, you know you'll be asked for it!

Along with your other paperwork, take the notarized permission to travel letter signed by dad.

I was asked when returning from our European cruise by the entry authority at JFK where we were changing planes...as you say, you never know!

Best,

Mia

Bring the letter! I always preach about them here. And last month my friend was coming with me and traveling without her husband, but was bringing her children on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I told her about the letter and she asked if it was "necessary" -- this was the day before we were set to leave for the cruise. She is married. She has the same last name as her children and husband.

I said that she should really get it just in case. So I talked her into it. At the last minute, she grabbed her husband, went to the bank to get it notarized (they did it there for her for free). And she stuffed the letter into her travel documents.

Two days later we are standing in line at the RCI cruise terminal and she yells from 5 lines over "Michele!!!! They are asking me for my letter!!!!!" :D

The RCI lady looked at her like she was nuts...lol...but I knew what she meant. ;)

So yes, if you don't have it, then they pull the kids aside and start asing them questions about you. And worst case scenario, you will be denied boarding.

I'm in the same boat. My husband is sometimes unable to travel with us and I take my daughter with other family members. I always bring the notorized letter just in case. No one has ever asked for it but it is usually requested in the fine print. I do think they have the right to deny you boarding if you don't have it.

I've never paid for a letter to be notorized though. (I think another poster said it was $20) It should be free a free service if you go to your banking institution and ask them to notorize it. I bank with both Bank of America and Wachovia and have never been charged a fee to notorize a form.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'll get the notarized letter. With my luck, Murphy's law will apply.:rolleyes:

Yeah, if you have it, there's a decent chance that you won't need it. It's when you skip it that they decide that you do. A small hassle now is much better than a big one later.

You need a Notary letter. The TA my family uses provides the service once a week. Also if there is just one parent, due to whatever, you need that paperwork also. I know this with a nephew.

What if you have sole custody and the child's so called father is a deadbeat and you can't get a letter from him?

Not my scenario but a family member that will be cruising.

If the custody order is for sole physical and legal custody, the mother needs to bring a copy of the custody order. She will not need any additional proof. If custody is shared in any way, then she needs to see a family lawyer who can help her get a court authorization saying that she may take her child out of the country even though the father refuses to sign a letter or can't be found or whatever the situation may be.

beachchick

If the custody order is for sole physical and legal custody, the mother needs to bring a copy of the custody order. She will not need any additional proof. If custody is shared in any way, then she needs to see a family lawyer who can help her get a court authorization saying that she may take her child out of the country even though the father refuses to sign a letter or can't be found or whatever the situation may be.

beachchick

Thank you very much! :)

Just FYI, if one parent is deceased; you should bring the death certificate. Flying Chicago ORD to Rome a few years back the father and DD directly in front of us in the airport nearly missed the cruise -- they missed their original flight and got on ours stand-by after the airline would not allow them to check in for their flight without "approval" by the absent parent. Fortunately his secretary was able to locate the document and fax a copy to the airline. Everyone acted most professionally, but it was a strict policy of the airline.

Archived