Pacific Jewel's J032 delayed

karmac

They'll work on her all day ready for sailing that afternoon. Whatever they need will be at the dock ready and waiting for the repairs.

I agree they will. But unless it can actually be fixed very quickly, there's a significant risk the cruise will be delayed further.

Can't say either way at the moment, but it can't be ruled in that the only impact is one missed port and day either.

Hi,

I'm staying optomistic. Until we get the SMS / phone call/s today no one has any real estimate (Unless we can get hold of P&O engineering department and interrogate them) ;)

But I do agree with Kezza, they most likely know what the problem is and the parts and human resources will be ready once customs clear the vessel. Most maritime machinery is built for quick repairs if everything is at hand.

Also, unless it is something much much worse P&O won't want to fully cancel another cruise with one already cancelled so close but ....... Let's wait for today's 'official' update, accept we can do nothing to change the outcome, and re-plan after that.

Got to go to work now, will keep checking the PJ webcam and coastal ship tracker after I get to the office.

Regards

Solas

Selfish me would love a few extra days at sea at nil cost...but I feel sorry for those who are looking forward to getting on. I would go with the flow...check with P & O if they are going to put you up in Sydney start your vacation there, play tourist in one of the loveliest cities anywhere. Do a tour of the Opera House, check out the Sydney Museum, the Powerhouse Museum, lunch in the Rocks, take a bus to Bondi and do the cliff walk to Bronte and bus back to the Quay. Lots of choices. Ferry to Manly and eat fish and chips and walk around the path to Fairy Bower for a coffee..or go to the Fish Markets in Darling Harbour for lovely fresh seafood. Catch a show at Star City.Have a meal at Phillips Foote in the Rocks, wonderful beer garden, great atmosphere. Remember to ask for a Day Tripper ticket which covers all public transport, bus, ferry or train all day. You cant change whats happened so you may as well enjoy it.:)

Gosh rugbypopsie, here I am, I have just arrived at work at Parramatta and now all I want to do is get out here and get into the city and do something exciting LOL. That trip to Manly sounds like the go, then a nice fish lunch and a walk and coffee before I have to head home from a hard day at work. I just realised I'm in the wrong job. Anyone else want to join me. I'll be on the 10am Manly ferry from Circular Quay.

Gosh rugbypopsie, here I am, I have just arrived at work at Parramatta and now all I want to do is get out here and get into the city and do something exciting LOL. That trip to Manly sounds like the go, then a nice fish lunch and a walk and coffee before I have to head home from a hard day at work. I just realised I'm in the wrong job. Anyone else want to join me. I'll be on the 10am Manly ferry from Circular Quay.

Apologise for off topic...anyone who cant find something exciting to do in Sydney is not trying too hard..I go up from Canberra regularly to play tourist even though I used to live on the northern beaches.

I get so disappointed when I hear US tourists are going to spend there only day in Sydney on a bus to the Blue Mountains....they are lovely but really what a waste of a short amount of time.

I can confirm that I just heard on the 12:30 news that this cruise has been cancelled and that all passengers would have refunds in their or their TA accounts tomorrow. :(

It will be interesting to see if they also cancel the Melbourne Cup cruise.

I'm not sure if they can get her into drydock earlier or not, that would depend on if it's currently being used or not!

From P&O FB Events page, P&O has posted the following..............

P&O Cruises is sorry to advise of the unavoidable cancellation of Pacific

Jewel Cruise JO32 and apologises to affected passengers for the

disruption to their holiday plans. Pacific Jewel is currently returning

to Sydney at reduced speed due to a fault in a section of her propulsion

system. Engineers have been able to examine the problem more closely

and believe repairs will take longer than expected. Passengers will

receive a full refund and a credit on a future booking. There is some

availability and P&O Cruises will work hard to make alternative

arrangements for affected passengers.

It will be interesting to see if they also cancel the Melbourne Cup cruise.

I'm not sure if they can get her into drydock earlier or not, that would depend on if it's currently being used or not!

With the time remaining I'd expect they should be able to get it done in time. I believe there are a few places they can take her for emergency repairs, so I'd be surprised if there was a flow on effect.

With the time remaining I'd expect they should be able to get it done in time. I believe there are a few places they can take her for emergency repairs, so I'd be surprised if there was a flow on effect.

Will she have to go to the Brisbane drydock, or can it be done in Garden Island?

It is a worry , as the next cruise is timed for the Melbourne Cup Cruise.

I have my fingers and everything crossed as i booked the Melbourne cup cruise 18 months ago. But i would think it will go ahead as it is a coastal cruise and then it will go into drydock in Brisbane straight after the MC cruise. here is hoping.

I do feel for everyone that had their cruise cancelled it has happened to me before and then in October last year we lost a day.. I hope that everyone books the next one and it is a fantastic holiday for them :D

cheers

I have my fingers and everything crossed as i booked the Melbourne cup cruise 18 months ago. But i would think it will go ahead as it is a coastal cruise and then it will go into drydock in Brisbane straight after the MC cruise. here is hoping.

I do feel for everyone that had their cruise cancelled it has happened to me before and then in October last year we lost a day.. I hope that everyone books the next one and it is a fantastic holiday for them :D

cheers

It's actually going into drydock in Sydney:).

Archived