? re: taking food off ship

farmfan1

Just off the Crown NE/Canada route and we were reminded that the US government (not the cruise line at all )forbids any vegetables, meat, fruits, to be taken off the ship and INTO the country. Is it worth the hassle for a $2 sandwich if the agriculture department or the homeland security department etc is doing spot checks or even if they are checking because of some other problem (drug information or criminal on the loose) and you get caught up for this minor infraction and it becomes major troubl? I have seen with my own eyes that they do occasionally check and I have had me and my bag sniffed by the friendly doggie. IMHO it is much easier to go to the nearest 7-11 or grocery store and get a fresh sandwich or buy some peanut butter crackers etc (sealed packages NOT opened) and take those in your backpack. This IS for the protection of American agriculture, security and health. Play nice and get your food on the shore.

We will be in alaska next july aboard the Island. Can we bring snacks/sandwiches with us in our backpacks when we leave the ship to go hiking?

Thank you

Farmfan1

No food of any kind is allowed to be taken off the ship .That's the official

"Princess " comment . But I've some people smuggle food off . But more

confiscated then smuggled off. Food definably can't be brought on buard.

Alcohol (except for wine ) will be confiscated and returned in evening of the last day.:cool:

You can be fined by local authorities for taking food off the ship .... other than pre-packaged foods & snacks

In some ports yes, there are signs telling you of the amount of the fine if they check and you get caught. Just never thought for a few bucks it was worth the gamble. ;)

I guess life is a lot more pleasant if you don't know the rules. One of our favorite parts of all travel (including cruising) is having picnics for lunch. When on cruises we have taken some bread, cheese and fruit from the ship and then bought wine and chocolates in town. We always travel with our foil cutter, corkscrew and bottle stopper and never knew there were any prohibitions about taking food off the ship. It's no so much being cheap, but it's often difficult to assemble everything needed for a proper picnic and then find an appropriate picnic place. Our cruises have been limited to transatlantics and europe so maybe they don't have prohibitions?

I guess life is a lot more pleasant if you don't know the rules. One of our favorite parts of all travel (including cruising) is having picnics for lunch. When on cruises we have taken some bread, cheese and fruit from the ship and then bought wine and chocolates in town. We always travel with our foil cutter, corkscrew and bottle stopper and never knew there were any prohibitions about taking food off the ship. It's no so much being cheap, but it's often difficult to assemble everything needed for a proper picnic and then find an appropriate picnic place. Our cruises have been limited to transatlantics and europe so maybe they don't have prohibitions?

Every country has agricultural regulations dealing with importing fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy products, etc.

No food of any kind is allowed to be taken off the ship .That's the official

"Princess " comment . But I've some people smuggle food off . But more

confiscated then smuggled off. Food definably can't be brought on buard.

Alcohol (except for wine ) will be confiscated and returned in evening of the last day.:cool:

I've never seen a problem with food being brought on board. Booze would be something else. If you get searched when coming off the ship, any food gets tossed in the trash can.

Well, now you know. And if you're caught, and if there's been a notice in the Patters, you can get fined, even if you didn't see the warning. As noted above, some countries are a bit more careful than others, especially those with a strong agricultural industry. That's the case with California: because of past infestations, border guards and port agents take food smuggling very seriously. Very seriously.

Our cruises have been limited to transatlantics and europe so maybe they don't have prohibitions?

Actually, Europe is where I've seen most of the signs to not bring things off.

I wouldn't hesitate to take PBJ sandwiches and other processed foods off in Alaska.

Agricultural countries take this VERY seriously. The US is one of them. You will be fined and who knows what else. I've seen people being taken away for having an apple in their carry-on they forgot was there. I agree that a picnic is a nice idea but one's "pleasure" doesn't trump respect for a country's laws and agricultural industry. It's pretty selfish to think you know better than the country trying to protect it's agriculture.

Every country has agricultural regulations dealing with importing fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy products, etc.

We've never had food taken away--we declare it, and it's always been allowed through. I'm reminded of some friends, though, who had a problem. They were going to visit mutual friends in Raratonga, who had told all of us that we should bring SPAM if we wanted to barter for local art or to make friends quickly. So our friends had quite a few cans of SPAM in their luggage. Somewhere along the way they had to go through customs and had all their SPAM taken away. We all suspected that it was not because it wasn't allowed, but because someone wanted it for themselves!

We've never had food taken away--we declare it, and it's always been allowed through. I'm reminded of some friends, though, who had a problem. They were going to visit mutual friends in Raratonga, who had told all of us that we should bring SPAM if we wanted to barter for local art or to make friends quickly. So our friends had quite a few cans of SPAM in their luggage. Somewhere along the way they had to go through customs and had all their SPAM taken away. We all suspected that it was not because it wasn't allowed, but because someone wanted it for themselves!

Taking any type of meat products into New Zealand or Australia is a definite NO-NO. It doesn't matter if it is in a can, sealed in a package or in a sandwich from the buffet. They don't allow it to be brought it, it had nothing to do with the inspectors wanting it for themselves. I would think if you google this, it will explain it all to you. ;)

I have never seen anyone having their bags searched for food comming off of a cruise ship. I mean it is basically a free for all to get off in a (scheduled port of call) On a cruise to Alaska we ported in Ketchikan and had hired 2 fishing boats to take a group of 9 of us salmon fishing. I asked the kitchen if they could make us up some sack luches to take with us. They said no but in the morning we had 9 sack lunches ready to go at no charge. This was on a Costa Cruise. We limited out on salmon that day and what we didn't have shipped back to the US we gave to the kitchen and one of our favorite Phillipino bar tenders ( he was in heaven) and that night when we went to dinner the chef had baked one of the bigger salmons we had given the kitchen and brought it out on a seving table for us and the tables around us to enjoy. That was a first class service! Food on and food on no problem...............

Part of the need to be very strict has to do with invasive species. If the piece of fruit you have taken into a new country has a seed then there is the possibility of a new plant with no natural enemies that could later create a problem. The fruit could contain the tiny larva of an insect like fruit flies but more insidious. Even between states in the US trucks are screened for produce problems.

From Costa FAQ:

Can I bring food or drink on board?

No food or drink purchased on land may be brought aboard when boarding the ship. Any local products purchased during excursions may be handed to Costa staff for safekeeping and collected before disembarking at the end of the cruise.

All ships in any case provide generous buffets and drinking water dispensers, with both cold and hot water to prepare teas and infusions at any time of the day. Cocktails, coffees and a wide range of drinks can be purchased on every deck and in all the bars.

This was on a Costa Cruise. We limited out on salmon that day and what we didn't have shipped back to the US we gave to the kitchen and one of our favorite Phillipino bar tenders ( he was in heaven) and that night when we went to dinner the chef had baked one of the bigger salmons we had given the kitchen and brought it out on a seving table for us and the tables around us to enjoy. That was a first class service! Food on and food on no problem...............

I have never seen anyone having their bags searched for food comming off of a cruise ship.
I have. And, I've seen big barrels full of stuff people have tried to take off the ship. In Chile, they take it so seriously that when you disembark the ship, you are transported to a terminal building, lined up on either side of an area, and told to put everything on the floor. Two soldiers, with machine guns, and a German Shepard with his handler, walk up and down the lines inspecting everything. Australia and New Zealand aren't as ferocious but just as serious. NOTHING can be brought in, even packaged food. They are not about to risk their economy to please a tourist. The US is just as serious.

Actually, Europe is where I've seen most of the signs to not bring things off.

I wouldn't hesitate to take PBJ sandwiches and other processed foods off in Alaska.

If the cruise originated in Vancouver, you may want to think about that as the ships are provisioned in Vancouver and the US has no inspection on that food. It could land you in trouble with FDA people. Also at the beginning of the Alaska cruise season ships arrive with food aboard from ....well wherever.

Archived