Do they supply an iron and ironing board in room ?

Sorry, but why is it funny? Lots of people iron their clothes, especially when trying to look nice for dinner, and many wouldn't know if there were facilities provided for that. Disney Cruise Line has irons provided for guests. Not sure where the humor is... am I missing something?

Guess I just don't see the necessity of being less than friendly to new posters trying to learn to navigate the boards and asking a legitimate question. Pretty sure the board is here to help people. No point in making them feel dumb because they are new or uninformed. I've seen several comments from people who are afraid to post for that reason.

On the first day, I send my evening shirts out to be pressed.

We always send our stuff out to be pressed, too. It's not much money, and it's so nice to not have to worry how things are packed, and then find them hanging in your closet all pressed and ready to go on day 2. Truly worth it for us at least.

Just got back from the Oasis - not only were they confiscating liquor in luggage, they were taking irons too. Were with another couple who didn't get their bags because they had liquor in them and they told us when they went to claim their bags because they weren't delivered that there were over 40 pieces of luggage that had irons in them and they were confiscated as well.

Sorry, but why is it funny? ... Not sure where the humor is... am I missing something?

You know what? You've been here even longer than I have. You have undoubtedly seen the copious amount of threads on irons, smuggling, dress codes, tipping, etc. etc. After a while, it just becomes "funny". Not funny mean and spiteful, but funny funny. I never said anything mean, I was not rude. It just struck my funny bone and I reacted. :)

I think when you've been on these boards for the number of years that a lot of us have, you have to have a sense of humor. Sorry that you were offended.

fire on a ship...ship, in order to insure safetly, lowers the lifeboats,, entire crew and passengers loaded and safely floating around their cruise ship..

One guy in one lifeboat, yells over to his wife "hey, Mrytle, before we left did you finish ironing that skirt?"

Myrtle then learns how long she can tred water...

I have just decided on my plan

I have a lot of cotton clothes- Hate synthetics and they hate me

I did buy a steamer but it hates me too

So

The minute I get to my stateroom I am going to hang what I can in the shower and steam it up

Will do this a couple of times and BINGO!! no worries no wrinkles - except on my face

I will send a few things to be pressed but I think I can beat this no iron thing once & for all. If hubby want a shower or needs to use the WC he shall have to go elsewhere like the gym.

Di

I also checked this out cuz I wondered what the reaction was! But do wonder if it was a JOKE, check the name never would anyone use that first time here and it was the first post. I think I smell a joker!

No, before assuming that, check out rookeydooks' previous posts. Just a new cruiser.

I have taken my travel iron on the last 6 cruises and had no problem. I don't plan on it this time though. Maybe they are watching more. My concern is...curling irons and straight irons can be just as dangerous and there is more chance of those being left on. I am sure there are more curling irons than clothes irons! Just my opinion!

You are right about curling irons. I also used to bring a travel iron or steamer, but haven't the last few cruises. I was really surprised to hear at least on the Oasis they were taking them. And I couldn't steam my clothes in the shower as the shower had doors, not curtains and there was no steam in the tiny bathroom.

And as for using the oft-mentioned "search" function, it is not has wonderful as it's cracked up to be, so many times, it's just as easy to start a new thread.

Besides, if we didn't have threads about irons, smuggling liquor, tipping guidelines, and "should I transfer my booking to a TA for OBC," we wouldn't have near enough opportunity to increase our post counts.

Just back from OASIS. My two sister-in-laws laughed at me when I said I was bringing my steamer. However, they both used it several times lol. Only takes a couple of minutes. I have a Conair handheld steamer that I got from HSN a few years ago and it works great. Some of us are obsessed with wrinkles - different strokes for different folks. By the way I loved the OASIS. My cabin was 9642, Junior Suite with great location.

Many thanks for all you advice, it is very much appreciated.

Boarding tomorrow as first timers and feeling a little anxious to say the least ! Hopefully will be back here next time with a little helpful advice for others.

Thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...
No, before assuming that, check out rookeydooks' previous posts. Just a new cruiser.

Thanks Merion_Mom, i can confirm to the rest of the forum i am real and my iron enquiry was a genuine question !

You experienced cruisers need to remember how many questions you had when you were also first timers too. It is extremely daunting and making new cruisers feel as though they have asked silly questions defeats the whole forum process.

Thank you to all who did take the time to share your advice. We have just got back from our first cruise and can defintely say we have caught the bug ! We had an amazing time, the ship is awsome !!!

Edited by rookeydooks

I bring a small travel size steamer and it takes up very little space in the luggage, is allowed by RCL and works wonders.

Are you sure? I just bought a travel steamer, the plastic kind that looks like a wand. I posted about it here, and some said they could, others posted it was confiscated. I emailed RCI with the link to my particular travel steamer and they said no, it's not permitted. :(

Guess I just don't see the necessity of being less than friendly to new posters trying to learn to navigate the boards and asking a legitimate question. Pretty sure the board is here to help people. No point in making them feel dumb because they are new or uninformed. I've seen several comments from people who are afraid to post for that reason.

I couldn't agree with you more Melissa!

When I first started posting, I would put, "sorry if this is a stupid question" and now I try to stop because what is so stupid about asking a legitimate question? It's some that find humor in it I guess, but I have read about lurkers and feel sorry that they shy away from using the forums.

And as for using the oft-mentioned "search" function, it is not has wonderful as it's cracked up to be, so many times, it's just as easy to start a new thread.

Besides, if we didn't have threads about irons, smuggling liquor, tipping guidelines, and "should I transfer my booking to a TA for OBC," we wouldn't have near enough opportunity to increase our post counts.

I agree, I try to do a search before posting a question that might have already been posted, but when the search brings up tons of pages, my eyes get tired after page 5 or 6 and I give up :eek:

Just back from OASIS. My two sister-in-laws laughed at me when I said I was bringing my steamer. However, they both used it several times lol. Only takes a couple of minutes. I have a Conair handheld steamer that I got from HSN a few years ago and it works great. Some of us are obsessed with wrinkles - different strokes for different folks. By the way I loved the OASIS. My cabin was 9642, Junior Suite with great location.

Oh, so glad to hear you had no problems with bringing your steamer. I posted above and also in another thread that I bought a plastic travel steamer and RCI said it was not permitted (I am on Oasis in Feb 2011).

I read about Downy release that some CC members are using, but I can't use anything with fragrance and not sure how to hang my clothes in the bathroom when Oasis has shower doors, not curtains with a rod.

So, did you pack it in your luggage or carry on, wrapped in something like clothing or in it's original package?

Thanks!

Edited by red-dragon