Dress code in dining room

califmamabear

I have not seen alot of discussion about the dress code in dining room on the days that are not formal. I have been on Celebrity and RCCL and they are specific about what is recommended on each night. Of course not everyone follows the suggestions. For me I like the "formality" of dressing for dinner. I certainly do not do that at home. Are jeans, shorts allowed? Even on the casual dress nights on my other cruises we did see alot of that. Btw we are on the Ruby Eastern Caribbean. Does that make a difference?

I have not seen alot of discussion about the dress code in dining room on the days that are not formal. I have been on Celebrity and RCCL and they are specific about what is recommended on each night. Of course not everyone follows the suggestions. For me I like the "formality" of dressing for dinner. I certainly do not do that at home. Are jeans, shorts allowed? Even on the casual dress nights on my other cruises we did see alot of that. Btw we are on the Ruby Eastern Caribbean. Does that make a difference?
No shorts. You will be turned away. Dress code is "smart" casual and while a few people wear jeans, the vast majority don't. Most women wear slacks/skirts and tops; most men wear chinos and shirt. Or something similar.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

I wear jeans on all casual evenings. They're not dress jeans but still clean & decent by anyone's standards. You'd be hard pressed to see them turn anyone away for jeans that are not acceptable. I once even saw one old guy that had on jeans with a hammer loop on the leg- but of course they didn't have any holes which met their criteria for being acceptable.

On casual nights on the Ruby we saw plenty of passengers being turned away from anytime dining because of shorts and tank tops. (The passengers were shocked they were being turned away)

On the Golden in Alaska in Sept, we saw jeans on formal night, and even shorts on other nights in the anytime dining roon. Some slipped thru somehow. DH and I both noticed, and then continued on with our good time.

There are lots of discussions all the time if you do a search.

Now if only they could have done something about the baseball caps ...
On the Emerald last Thanksgiving, I saw head waiters quietly remind men to remove their baseball caps during breakfast and lunch. I've never seen anyone wear one at dinner.

I hate going to a restaurant and seeing some redneck wearing a hat of any kind. I used to go dancing in a place where they would ask u to take your hat off on the dance floor, If you didnt, they knocked you out from under it. Simple rule. I wear bluejeans all the time, I lived on a ranch for years. See nothing wrong with clean ones, no holes and boots. They way I've seen some women dress, I wouldnt sit at their table.:eek:

I should have been more clear about my question. I should have said I havent seen RECENT posts about dress code. Most of the questions on any subject have been asked and answered numerous times but we all still read them and answer them now dont we? Thanks for the responses.

On the Emerald last Thanksgiving, I saw head waiters quietly remind men to remove their baseball caps during breakfast and lunch. I've never seen anyone wear one at dinner.

On the Diamond in Sep there were a group of 8 subj tourists who were seated at the table next to us every night in the Vivaldi DR. They came dressed in jeans, sweatsuits, ballcaps, Scots style "bunnets" and a girl who wore a (God help the poor child of 20+yrs) winter toque to the dinner table.

When the Assistant Head Waiters were asked to say something they replied that they can't do anything as the last time they did they were "reemed" over the coals by the powers to be and almost lost their jobs.

Mr Buckelew, if you are reading these threads at all, a good leader sets standardized good direction to his employees empowering them to take specific action as required. Please...be that good leader.

Ciao for now!!!

While I dont mind dressing up to go eat it always amazes me on here the people that get so upset over how people dress. Does it make your food taste worse if someone wears a pair of blue jeans or a sweatshirt while they eat:confused: Your on vacation enjoy it and dont sweat the small stuff, life it to short

While I like dressing nice for dinner, my sister (her first cruise ever) wore shorts with a nice top on our last night. Apparently, she had been packing and didn't want to change to long pants. When I saw her I cringed. I was surprised that they said nothing. At least she looked nice while we were seated at the table.

On the Diamond in Sep there were a group of 8 subj tourists who were seated at the table next to us every night in the Vivaldi DR. They came dressed in jeans, sweatsuits, ballcaps, Scots style "bunnets" and a girl who wore a (God help the poor child of 20+yrs) winter toque to the dinner table.

We were in the Vivaldi each night but didn't notice that particular group....however we did see the head waiter tell someone that they needed to remove their baseball cap as they entered the room

Princess explains the dress code & if that isn't what a passenger wants to do...then why do they go & completely ignore the dress code? It's a matter of respect for the rules & your fellow cruisers who do follow them.

If the Princess rules aren't what someone wants for their cruise, I'm sure there are other more appropriate cruise lines for them to sail.

Now Princess employees are afraid to enforce the rules because of the squeaky wheel passengers who make a stink about it. How can passengers who violate the rules attempt to get Princess crew in hot water for doing their job? Talk about a selfish way to live...it's all about them & the heck with anyone else. :mad:

On the Golden in Alaska in Sept, we saw jeans on formal night, and even shorts on other nights in the anytime dining roon. Some slipped thru somehow. DH and I both noticed, and then continued on with our good time.

Jeans on formal night!!! Good heavens, what is the world coming to?

Princess explains the dress code & if that isn't what a passenger wants to do...then why do they go & completely ignore the dress code? It's a matter of respect for the rules & your fellow cruisers who do follow them.

Because the line offers a cruise they like & bending just one rule doesn't really deter others from their enjoyment.

If the Princess rules aren't what someone wants for their cruise, I'm sure there are other more appropriate cruise lines for them to sail.

It could be that other cruise lines don't offer the same things as Princess or go to the ports they want to go to?

Now Princess employees are afraid to enforce the rules because of the squeaky wheel passengers who make a stink about it. How can passengers who violate the rules attempt to get Princess crew in hot water for doing their job? Talk about a selfish way to live...it's all about them & the heck with anyone else. :mad:

Not to sound obstinate about it but we don't follow the dress code to the letter either but still not to the point of ball caps & sweat shirts. Princess does have one of the most lenient dress policies & maybe that's the reason for it. I wouldn't want to the be the person who have to explain to upper management and jeopardize my standing why there were numerous complaints about my dining room whether fictitious or not. It's easier & safer to look the other way.

While I dont mind dressing up to go eat it always amazes me on here the people that get so upset over how people dress. Does it make your food taste worse if someone wears a pair of blue jeans or a sweatshirt while they eat:confused: Your on vacation enjoy it and dont sweat the small stuff, life it to short

No it dosn't make the food taste worse, it's just that it's so much nicer if people dress for the occasion, but it's just typical of the world today. Even TV presenters don't wear ties anymore.

The head waiter won't be disciplined for enforcing the dress rules, no matter how vociferous the complaint.

Unfortunately, to get even, some pax make false accusations about the head waiter in their evaluation forms .

After being reamed out a few times, the HWs get fed up and stop enforcing the dress guide. Can't fault them for that.

Not to sound obstinate about it but we don't follow the dress code to the letter either but still not to the point of ball caps & sweat shirts. Princess does have one of the most lenient dress policies & maybe that's the reason for it. I wouldn't want to the be the person who have to explain to upper management and jeopardize my standing why there were numerous complaints about my dining room whether fictitious or not. It's easier & safer to look the other way.

More lenient that NCL's where there is only a Dress Up or Not Night and jeans, for a long time, have been OK in one of the MDRs?;)

"Because the line offers a cruise they like & bending just one rule doesn't really deter others from their enjoyment."

"It could be that other cruise lines don't offer the same things as Princess or go to the ports they want to go to?"

True, but the fact remains that Princess, or any number of other lines have a stated dress code and if one wants the above, they should follow it since that's "part of the package" of what they want.;) Oh wait.....it's MY vacation.:p

The head waiter won't be disciplined for enforcing the dress rules, no matter how vociferous the complaint.

Unfortunately, to get even, some pax make false accusations about the head waiter in their evaluation forms .

After being reamed out a few times, the HWs get fed up and stop enforcing the dress guide. Can't fault them for that.

Especially when a letter is sent in to headquarters complaining about their attitude being nasty, not being cooperative or generally not running the dining room with a pleasant atmosphere. It might not be true but having to explain your attitude time & time again can certainly have a negative affect on your overall rating over the years.

More lenient that NCL's where there is only a Dress Up or Not Night and jeans, for a long time, have been OK in one of the MDRs?;)

"Because the line offers a cruise they like & bending just one rule doesn't really deter others from their enjoyment."

"It could be that other cruise lines don't offer the same things as Princess or go to the ports they want to go to?"

True, but the fact remains that Princess, or any number of other lines have a stated dress code and if one wants the above, they should follow it since that's "part of the package" of what they want.;) Oh wait.....it's MY vacation.:p

You're beginning to see the light, so why fight it. The dress code is only suggested anyway and the head waiters & Maitre D' don't care one way or the other if you neat in appearance. :cool:

You're beginning to see the light, so why fight it. The dress code is only suggested anyway and the head waiters & Maitre D' don't care one way or the other if you neat in appearance. :cool:

Nope, don't think so....guess I should have used this.:rolleyes:

And the reason they don't seem to care one way or another is they prefer not to get into a confrontation with those who do not want to follow the dress code.

Nope, don't think so....guess I should have used this.:rolleyes:

And the reason they don't seem to care one way or another is they prefer not to get into a confrontation with those who do not want to follow the dress code.

That's also very true, but only within certain limits. Try wearing a pair of shorts, a T shirt with a baseball cap on a formal night & your sure to find some resistance.

Archived