Avalon Cruise Insurance - anyone have problems?

sassy12

We're going on our first river cruise with friends and are using their travel agent. They have us signed up to use Avalon's insurance. We've been using T..... G.... and have had no problems. What are your experiences with Avalon's insurance? I'm worried because our insurance doesn't cover anything outside of the USA. Thanks for your help.

I used Globus Insurance for one trip and had no luck getting compensation for lost luggage. Globus and Avalon are part of the same company.

I have been using some of the online travel insurance companies, such as InsureMyTrip.com and been pleased with their service. Although, since my incident with the Globus Insurance, I had not had to make a claim. Perhaps there are others on here who can help.

I will have to remember CSA for our next trip. Thank goodness we have not had to use it at all.

When we were in France my husband took a 'tumble' and within 4 minutes, the French 'rescue squad' was there patching him up. It didn't cost us a cent for this service.

Choose an insur policy that covers what you personally need and want. Often the prepacked insurances from cruise lines, ta's etc. maylook good on paper, but in the long run might not give you the protection you really want. We always buy our own as we aren't interested in the med coverage so much as we have great insur which covers us out of the country. No do we want to waste premium money on items like lost luggage or delays. However we DO want good med evac., transport to the hospital of OUR choice and preexisting conditions covered. We don't get that with a basic policy.

Any policy that doens't cover your needs is a waste of money.

I have traveled with Avalon/Globus several times but I would always get separate insurance.I use either www.insuremytrip.com or www.squaremouth.com to find the best insurance at the best price. I had to file a claim last spring when we were caught in the volcano mess last April. I had no problem getting the insurance to pay.

We, also, always use insure my trip and compare many different companies and benefits to get the coverage we need....need to cover pre existing conditions. It is always cheaper than the cruise company...I think we saved over 50% for our upcoming river cruise.

I've had to claim benefits only once I think....and it was when I was on an HAL cruise and ended up in the ship's infirmary on 3 or 4 occasions getting IVs and breathing treatments. I was reimbursed very quickly upon submitting the claim. My health insurance also covers me outside of the country but I have a $7,500 deductible so I came out ahead by getting sick on the cruise!

I have also heard to never book travel insurance with the company that you are going to travel with, as if they go bankrupt your travel insurance is worthless (ie Renaissance cruises). Ever since that, I've always booked my travel insurance independently.

Archived