5 Ships & 11,000 Cruisers in Port -Will it be Crazy?

Dr. Jack Daniels

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Dawn and will be in Barbados on February 2, 2011. There will be 5 cruise ships (Norwegian Dawn, Carnival Victory, Celebrity Equinox, Braemar, Thomson Destiny) and a total of 11,082 passengers in Barbados on this day.

Wondering if it will be super crowded or can Barbados accomodate such large numbers?

Will taxis be hard to come by?

Will traffic be bad?

Any other thoughts?

Seems like I should have something scheduled before cruising. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat

I would schedule a day trip on one of the catermarans that restricts it's amount to 20 or less people. I did a southern Carib during sept and we were the only ship in each port and I cannot even imagine some fo the ports with 4 or more ships, specifically St. Lucia and St. Maarten. I did a trip in Barbados so I don't know how ful the island was.

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Dawn and will be in Barbados on February 2, 2011. There will be 5 cruise ships (Norwegian Dawn, Carnival Victory, Celebrity Equinox, Braemar, Thomson Destiny) and a total of 11,082 passengers in Barbados on this day.

Wondering if it will be super crowded or can Barbados accomodate such large numbers?

Will traffic be bad?

Any other thoughts?

Seems like I should have something scheduled before cruising. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pat

Taxis are never a problem no matter how much passengers are in.

It is normally like that during the winter season which starts in November and ends in April during this period 5 ships are not unusual.:eek:

It is an usually large number but they seem to mange pretty well and the locals love it as it usually means extra $$ for them.:D

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Dawn and will be in Barbados on February 2, 2011.

There will be 5 cruise ships

Norwegian Dawn, Carnival Victory, Celebrity Equinox, Braemar, Thomson Destiny

- a total of 11,082 passengers in Barbados on this day.

Btown-48.jpg

There were 5 ships in port the day I was there and it was fine. Just a typical day in Barbados. Here's a big pic I took as we sailed away on the HAL Statendam. Looking back at the 4 cruise ships still in port. The ships are the Holland America Noordam, the Carnival Victory, the Holland America Prinsendam, and behind it the Ocean Village.

IMG_2735a.jpg

With 285,000 people on the island and the majority on the west coast, 11,000 additional is just a normal day. You probably won't notice it.

If you're looking for solitude, head to the East coast where few visit but beauty abounds.

Enjoy! :) :) :)

Will traffic be bad?

Any other thoughts?

Pat

I am one of the 11082 passengers who will also be visiting Barbados the same day and I am rather looking forward to my 3rd time ....just I will be disembarking from the Equinox.

Have a great cruise and a beautiful day in Barbados

Grotto-756.jpg

0715 hrs.

Ohhh I wish I was there right now!! Beats the cold and rain we having right now

Thanks for the great pic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There were four ships in port when we were there the first week in November. PLENTY of taxis. We walked past the taxis nearest the terminal out past the gate and prices were lower out there. They are set up for large numbers at the terminal in Barbados, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Will traffic be bad?

Any other thoughts?

Pat

Hey Dr. Jack,

We're on the same cruise as you may recall.

Nothing to worry about with the multiple boats in port that day.

Like most have said, Barbados is geared to handle large volumes of cruise guests and the Port facility is huge. They move alot of bodies around very quickly and effeciently. 11000 seems like alot of people, but really its not that bad considering the large port and different filtering areas they have for moving people around.

Imagine yourself at a professional sporting event like an NFL or MLB game,...your looking at 30-60 thousand people moving fairly quickly in and out of one spot...the Barbados port is massive compared to a stadium event and only filtering 11000,...best comparison I can make for argumentitive purposes.

Looking forward to a great cruise in oh, about 7 weeks now?

Sailed this itinerary last year and we had a great time!

Archived