Help...... Cannot read so many posts these days.

sail7seas

Sail,

You always seem to come up with the most interesting questions.

With this one I'm afraid we are teetering on the brink of losing the English Language as we once knew it.

(this from someone who used to argue with English teachers, and WIN)

2 B totally fair ;) :

We here have our own "shorthand" that the teen text fanatics wouldn't understand either.

Where would we on CC be without:

MDR

PAX

HAL

HotMan or HM

CD

DRM

DH, DW, DD, SiL, DiL,

etc.

As for me, I want to have the final edit on my own obituary and tombstone !

r.

I completely agree with you..I'm not into texting & if I don't understand a post, which is rarely, I won't bother with it.. However to be fair, I not only use the acronyms known to this & many other boards, but occasionally catch myself using Airline Shorthand..;)

Many years ago, in the pre-computer days, I began working in the Airline field..We had to send "telex" (teletype) msgs (messages) to our various office's & other carriers to book flights...Had a month long training class & was required to memorize pages & pages of specific city & shorthand codes in order to pass the test..

I still have a difficult time not using these codes, which are ingrained in my brain, when posting on this board &/or writing e-mails...

For instance a telex might read:

"2Smith 2Jones 4FINLAT

SK541 02 Jun OSL JFK KK 4 plus INF.

2Smith NN INF ML plus 2KSML

The first poster to accurately decode the above telex wins! :D

Hint: Almost lost my job a month after starting at my first airline, when they discovered, I had blocked seats for "4FINLAT" on the Chart of a fully booked flight..:eek:.

Fortunately my boss liked me & only warned me not to do that again!

As far as reading text msgs, the kids today use a completely different language & I'm either too old or not interested in learning it!:D

Cheers...:)Betty

Of course it's "denigration." :)

No, it's not that either. I think the word you wanted to use is degeneration.

den·i·grate (debreve.gifnprime.gifibreve.gif-gramacr.giftlprime.gif)

tr.v. den·i·grat·ed, den·i·grat·ing, den·i·grates

1. To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame.

2. To disparage; belittle: The critics have denigrated our efforts.

Thank you so much. I was afraid I was just 'not cool'.

Happy to hear it isn't only me skipping over the text style posts.

We totally agree with you and being 'not cool' doesn't bother us in the slightest.;)

Gary & Jane

Worse than the text message is the person near you in trafic texting.:eek: I try to get away from them and those turning with a phone in one hand and cigarette in the other, they scare me.:(

When I was in high school we all had to pass a test with a grade of 100. It was a test of the 100 most commonly misspelled words in English. The teacher would read the word, use it in a sentence, and read it again. Three of them were TO, TOO, TWO. Most of the others were similar. Reading the paper now (including the AP releases) I can see that test is no longer used anywhere. :rolleyes:

Worse than the text message is the person near you in trafic texting.:eek: I try to get away from them and those turning with a phone in one hand and cigarette in the other, they scare me.:(

When I was in high school we all had to pass a test with a grade of 100. It was a test of the 100 most commonly misspelled words in English. The teacher would read the word, use it in a sentence, and read it again. Three of them were TO, TOO, TWO. Most of the others were similar. Reading the paper now (including the AP releases) I can see that test is no longer used anywhere. :rolleyes:

When I went to school we lost marks for spelling incorrectly on any exam in any subject---even math. You could get all the answers right and still get a poor mark if you didn't learn to spell.

I do not send text messages and when I receive one I delete it. Makes some folks angry.

When texting first hit the scene, the proper etiquette (at least in business) was to ask a person, before you texted them, if they were interested in texting as a form of communication. I guess not anymore.

CleoT: congratulations on having a finished book, and someone (a literary agent?) to help you edit, polish, and prepare for publication. However, the NYT's author is definitely NOT a friend - just someone my friends and I enjoy bashing!

Thanks! And that is funny about the NYT author. Some people are so full of themselves, they're completely oblivious to how foolish they make themselves out to be.

Where I work, a large percentage of my co-workers are in their early to mid 20's. It amaze me how much time they spend on their phones texting! They will be right next to someone and texting them!

I have a very basic cell phone, but turn it on weekly to check messages. I often tell my co-workers that I don't see the need to let someone know every single thing going on at that time!

As for the codes and short versions on words, I agree with you!

One of my aunt got hit with a very large cell phone bill (her 14 year old grand daughter just moved in with her) and the bulk was text. She ask me to help translate what was being sent. We couldn't figure out half of what was sent.

When texting first hit the scene, the proper etiquette (at least in business) was to ask a person, before you texted them, if they were interested in texting as a form of communication. I guess not anymore.

Etiquette by whose definition? :confused:

Usually, proper ettiquette is to 'email' someone asking whether texting is something they're into.

English is a very flexible language; its hallmark has always been the ability to change, adapt, and absorb new words and new spellings. We do not speak the language of Shakespeare, any more than folks 400 years from now will use the same spelling, grammar, and vocabulary that we do. As an English major and lifelong editor, I find it amusing that people think English is something that is set in stone. Even since I began my professional editing career, there have been a number of accepted changes in punctuation styles and a few notable changes in grammar.

But I continue to enjoy the irony of those who sing the praises of good grammar, spelling and punctuation -- and yet their own posts contain numerous errors! ;)

As do I.

I sometimes have occasion to use text messages but I take the time to use full words. I just can't bring myself to mangle the English language.

Texting is simply a sort of shorthand. It's fast and convenient, just like the shorthand that was once used by secretaries. When used where it belongs, I have no problem with it.

I've seen the misuse of the english language and spelling over the several years by the younger group. They graduate from highschool not knowing where to put a coma, spell the easiest words and can't write worth a darn. I've seen this with my 6 g-daughters. I correct them every time they don't spell a word right. Another thing off topic, they can't add without a calculator or they count on their fingers.:rolleyes:

Obviously the place to put a coma is in the hospital.

Joking aside, my son just graduated from high school, and I can ASSURE you that in his public school there was plenty of emphasis on grammar and spelling, as well as on writing proper essays and research papers. My son can write a killer five paragraph persuasive essay with impeccable spelling and grammar, and he can also text like a fiend using all the standard (and not-so-standard) abbreviations. More importantly, he knows there's a time and place for each.

Because public message boards are a relatively new medium, I suppose it remains to be seen what the evolution will be. Every message board I've participated in has its own jargon, abbreviations, and conventions. Newbies on this board often seem a bit lost until they figure it out.

Finally, I'll just suggest that change is a constant everywhere. For those who want to "boycott" cell phones or texting, that's your choice. Everyone has to choose where to draw their line. It just seems a little silly to me. What if our parents or grandparents refused to ever buy one of those "newfangled" cars? Or a television? Or a computer, for that matter....:rolleyes:

There are some now I guess "universal" abbreviations that are used on many forums LOL, LMAO, BTW, IMHO, etc. and than there are the ones special to this type of forum - many of which I haven't figured out MDR (Main Dining Room) is one I've gotten but many others just confuse me - however I know eventually I'll figure it all out so I plug along. I think besides the downfall of the English Language and the "written word" we are suffering from "keyboard" users who never really learned how to type - they text with thumbs, type very quickly with 3 or 4 fingers and frankly I don't know how they do it - so abbreviations must help them out- all that said - I know I lapse into some text type postings so I hope I have not overly offended.

Etiquette by whose definition? :confused:

Re-read the bold.

Maybe we should have another sticky:eek: listing the commonly used abbreviations (HAL, MDR, etc.).

YES!! I wish someone would do this! I had to ask what DW and DH were....some I figured out. Some I just gave up on :confused:

English is a very flexible language; its hallmark has always been the ability to change, adapt, and absorb new words and new spellings. We do not speak the language of Shakespeare, any more than folks 400 years from now will use the same spelling, grammar, and vocabulary that we do. As an English major and lifelong editor, I find it amusing that people think English is something that is set in stone. Even since I began my professional editing career, there have been a number of accepted changes in punctuation styles and a few notable changes in grammar.

As do I.

Texting is simply a sort of shorthand. It's fast and convenient, just like the shorthand that was once used by secretaries. When used where it belongs, I have no problem with it.

Obviously the place to put a coma is in the hospital.

Joking aside, my son just graduated from high school, and I can ASSURE you that in his public school there was plenty of emphasis on grammar and spelling, as well as on writing proper essays and research papers. My son can write a killer five paragraph persuasive essay with impeccable spelling and grammar, and he can also text like a fiend using all the standard (and not-so-standard) abbreviations. More importantly, he knows there's a time and place for each.

Because public message boards are a relatively new medium, I suppose it remains to be seen what the evolution will be. Every message board I've participated in has its own jargon, abbreviations, and conventions. Newbies on this board often seem a bit lost until they figure it out.

Finally, I'll just suggest that change is a constant everywhere. For those who want to "boycott" cell phones or texting, that's your choice. Everyone has to choose where to draw their line. It just seems a little silly to me. What if our parents or grandparents refused to ever buy one of those "newfangled" cars? Or a television? Or a computer, for that matter....:rolleyes:

Well said! You always have great insight.

Wow! From MACPC's complaints about misspellings and poor "grammer" to Pokeynose's one-post festival of capitalization, spelling, construction and spacing errors, this thread has been full of entertaining ironies.

:confused: I didn't think I was that entertaining and didn't mention some of what you said I did. :D

YES!! I wish someone would do this! I had to ask what DW and DH were....some I figured out. Some I just gave up on :confused:

When I come across a shorthand word which I can't decipher, I consult the Net Lingo WEB site..This is an excellent WEB site to find acronyms & shorthand used on CC, as well as other message boards..It's actually 36 pages of acronyms..

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

Hope it helps..

I have a running list of CC abbreviations if anyone wants it. I have compiled it from varios posts here on CC over the past year.

If you want me to repost it just holler ar me.

Joanie

Joanie,

Great idea, please re-post.

I'm sure there will be many I've never come across.

r.

Many years ago, in the pre-computer days, I began working in the Airline field..We had to send "telex" (teletype) msgs (messages) to our various office's & other carriers to book flights...Had a month long training class & was required to memorize pages & pages of specific city & shorthand codes in order to pass the test.........

For instance a telex might read:

"2Smith 2Jones 4FINLAT

SK541 02 Jun OSL JFK KK 4 plus INF.

2Smith NN INF ML plus 2KSML

The first poster to accurately decode the above telex wins!

Hint: Almost lost my job a month after starting at my first airline, when they discovered, I had blocked seats for "4FINLAT" on the Chart of a fully booked flight..:eek:.

Fortunately my boss liked me & only warned me not to do that again!

Well I too used a telex and could read some of your challenge, but certainly not all. But I hope the Smiths and Jones had an uneventful flight from Oslo to New York on Scandinavian flight 541 ;)

AND my guess is that 4FINLAT might refer to the seats ???

Won't even attempt 2KSML ($2,000 in small unmarked bills :confused: )

Do I get half a prize ?

There was a reasoning behind all those abbreviations, COST.

Telex was like a separate network run by Western Union (at least in the USA), and they charged by the cypher.

What a racket, considering the awesome communication we have now for FREE !

r.

PS: Thanks for the link to the Acronyms

:confused: I didn't think I was that entertaining and didn't mention some of what you said I did. :D

I didn't say that you specifically mentioned all the types of errors you went on to make. I pointed out that your post -- which, you will recall, complained of the "misuse of the english language" -- was full of errors in capitalization, spelling, [parallel] construction and spacing. That was and is entertainingly ironic.

Add me to the list of text-less messages! I type fast and get my fingers in the way of each other so I know I make mistakes, which is why I have spell check. I am the first to admit I use too many commas in my writings. I was taught if you could make a sentence out of a group of words, a comma is needed prior. Ah, my age is showing once again.

Archived