down to two choices

jaxkai

ok :) im a first time cruiser single mom , very limited budget, we are taking a cruise for my youngests graduation present and my daughters bday. ive narrowed it down to a 4 day carnival cruise from cape canaveral, about 2 hours away, to a 4 day on norwegian from miami about 5 hours away, but stops on the private island , about 90 dollars difference.

yipes i sound like a nut case but ive never had a vacation like this and i want it to be very special for my kids, we are easy to please people and very close, so we will have fun on either.

any hints on picking one or the other?:rolleyes:

Either will be special...you will ALL have a blast!

Since you'll obviously be driving, you can bring pretty much whatever you want/need...no luggage restrictions! Lucky you!

The private islands are really nice, especially if you're into "beach days", because, that's what it is. Some have lots of "upcharge" things to do, but it sounds like your budget will only allow a beach day without the "frills"...and that's fine! Lunch is included on the island and everything else operates just like being on the ship!

I love going out of Port Canaveral. I got a hot rate at the Radisson and stayed the night for the free parking.

Miami is much worse with parking .. I think $25 per day to park at the port just for starters and few hotels where you can leave your car for free.

you guys are the best , yes being closer to home would be easier hehehe but ive never been to miami and i was thinking i could hit sanibel island on the way home. will we be tired when we get off the cruise?

also i was leaning to NCL due to the private island, yes we love going to the beach and everyone is getting snorkels and goggles for xmas , santas job is easy this year :)

we have a friend who can get us their employee rate at a choice hotel in miami the night before , cuz the first timers hints always say get there the night before.

im getting ready to call my daughter and read her your responses by tonight i will have an answer and will let you guys know.

i was just mostly curious if a 3 stop and island was worth 90 bucks it sounds like it is, now im getting excited not so stressed im not good with big decisions :) thank you all so much.

I prefer Carnival to NCL which should enter into your decision, not just if NCL has a extra stop. NCL is known for nickel and diming you to death, poor food choices to get you to pay a surcharge for pay restaurants. Carnival will have no pay restaurants. Things like capachino and espresso are free in the dining room with Carnival. Carnival is now doing a trial on this class of ships, for $18 for Maine lobster and steak, which has some upset, they want Carnival to not charge extra for any food in the dining room.

Im always excited to drive to a cruise, but afterwards, Im ready to get home. I would do the beach on the way TO the cruise, not afterwards. btw why not go a day before for Canaveral and stay on Cocoa Beach and do their beach?

Time of year might also enter into it as in winter, Miami will be preferable, but other times Canaveral area will be warm enough to swim. I will be in Miami next week on Wednesday at Intercontinental, which is near the port, why I picked it. $84 plus taxes and fees on last minute travel for a 5 star hotel. You wouldnt want to stay there because of the parking costs .. if parking is not included at choice motels from your friend, be sure and factor in parking costs.

I prefer Carnival to NCL which should enter into your decision, not just if NCL has a extra stop. NCL is known for nickel and diming you to death, poor food choices to get you to pay a surcharge for pay restaurants. Carnival will have no pay restaurants. Things like capachino and espresso are free in the dining room with Carnival. Carnival is now doing a trial on this class of ships, for $18 for Maine lobster and steak, which has some upset, they want Carnival to not charge extra for any food in the dining room.

Im always excited to drive to a cruise, but afterwards, Im ready to get home. I would do the beach on the way TO the cruise, not afterwards. btw why not go a day before for Canaveral and stay on Cocoa Beach and do their beach?

Time of year might also enter into it as in winter, Miami will be preferable, but other times Canaveral area will be warm enough to swim. I will be in Miami next week on Wednesday at Intercontinental, which is near the port, why I picked it. $84 plus taxes and fees on last minute travel for a 5 star hotel. You wouldnt want to stay there because of the parking costs .. if parking is not included at choice motels from your friend, be sure and factor in parking costs.

I'm always amused when I read the "nickel and diming" comment, because the mass market cruise lines are virtually identical in what is included in your cruise fare and what carries an additional charge.

And on Carnival I'm stuck with their "poor food choices" because they don't offer the options NCL does.:D

ok i love healthy nice discussions and honestly you are all giving me good advice, although i think my next question will be when will i stop being addicted to this web site :)

good point about the parking in miami, i did find a link to a place some use for 10.00 a nice but being thrifty, i already put 100 in the budget for parking cuz i will want to park close and be safe.

so far the foods look pretty similar on both to me, point i love that you can get sample menus of the carnival, already drooling here, since a normal happy night out to dinner for us consists of chili's we will be in hog heaven at the pizza place im sure.

this is sooooooo much fun, im having the time if my life and i havent even booked yet :)

i booked on carnival , decided a day at sea offered us many more chances to get to know about sailing, thank you all so much now im off to find a count down thingie :)

I look forward to cruising NCL, haven't had the opertunity yet, but with the younger set I would have to pick Carnival. They usually have a younger crowd and there is always something to do. I think that you made the right choice.

i booked on carnival , decided a day at sea offered us many more chances to get to know about sailing, thank you all so much now im off to find a count down thingie :)

I like that you booked your cruise based on having the sea day! There is so much to do on the ship that you probably won't be able to fit it all in!

you guys are all so great i got the best advice and will prolly try some other cruises since everything i read says if you go once you will other times.

im actually looking forward to the sea day now that ive decided, kids are too.

i actually might get some rest on a vacation, and im glad to know my 18yo will make some friends and stuff.

now if i could convince carnival to not give us a roll away bed i might start singing :)

Even though you are so close to Port Canavera, think about extending your vacation by adding a night at a hotel near the port. With your parking budget, you can probably get a Cruise 'n Park rate that allows you a night at a hotel near the port, free parking while on the cruise and free shuttle service to the port and return at end of the cruise. Port Canaveral has several that offer the package and we find we are paying about the same for a night at the hotel as we pay for parking so it's like getting a free extra day of vacation for us :D.

:D

Even though you are so close to Port Canavera, think about extending your vacation by adding a night at a hotel near the port. With your parking budget, you can probably get a Cruise 'n Park rate that allows you a night at a hotel near the port, free parking while on the cruise and free shuttle service to the port and return at end of the cruise. Port Canaveral has several that offer the package and we find we are paying about the same for a night at the hotel as we pay for parking so it's like getting a free extra day of vacation for us :D.

Oh Griffy, you are a sneaky one. I will definately remember this.;)

i have to agree i wanted some down time and to get in cruise/vacation mode so i told the kids i will take the day before off and we will go down.

we are looking at hotels that do that this week.

plus there is this awesome really awesome seafood place with the best rock shrimp i think i ever had in titusville and i want to stop there :) might as well start out eating good.

its amazing how i felt like a two ton truck was lifted off me when i made the selection then when someone was glad we booked to have a cruise day. so now if anyone has ideas of things we should do on the sea day add them to my now book of hints and ideas.

The cruise market has changed over the years. Believe it or not, some cruises are actually cheaper now than they were years ago. Cruise lines, like airlines, are faced with an economy and customer needs for the lowest cost cruises possible. Because of this, many of them are "nickel-and-diming". NCL is not the only one. We've seen Carnival and RCCL do the same. Last cruise we saw them charging a cover charge just to use the Wii they have in some lounges. I always say, you get what you pay for even with cruises. If you pay a very cheap price, expect them to come after you for every little thing.

With that said, I would still say that NCL and RCCL are our favorites. We like Carnival, but we've always found they cater more to younger (teen and twenty) cruisers. I know there will be folks who argue with me on this one, but I've cruised almost every cruise line including Carnival and this is what we have found. We even did a Carnival just this last spring break.

No matter what you do, you will have a great time.

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

well i would expect carnival as other ships to full of teens tweens and young adults for spring break , i cant imagine any ship being without them lol i live in fl and i can tell you we dont go near the beaches or regular hangouts for that crowd cuz um we know better.

that is not to say that people shouldnt cruise then just i guess be a bit more forgiving.

im sorry if i have to pay to use the wii lol ive been so excited to try it, on some ships they play it on a two story screen how awesome is that.

i dont mind paying for things i want or need, im in retail, ive had 3 pay cuts and all my paid holidays and most of my vacation taken away due to the economy and most my business has been regarded as recession proof for years they dont say it anymore.

im also glad that people have a fav cruise line, im open to anything and i know to enjoy myself where ever i am, i mean come on , im taking a vaction with kids as semi adults, and prolly the last family vacation just us without hubbies and wives and grandkids. this time is special i would enjoy us being in a box on a street as long as we are together.

i do take all the nice and interesting thoughts people give me and i put them in a book and i will use them for more cruises cuz im sure i will be hooked , my daughter called today and asked if we could do a mother daughter cruise every year , i said certainly and i was honored that she wants that time with me, i dont care what cruise or to where .

Archived