Where to stay in Puerto Rico?

Ozza Alf

We are partial to the Embassy Suites Isla Verde. They have complimentary happy hour and free buffet breakfast. It is a short 2 block walk to the beach, has an Outback restaurant inside and a very good pool area. There are also quite a few restaurants located around the hotel that are easily within walking distance. Plus close to the airport.

Or, instead of staying in the SJ area, you can look at going out on the island a bit. Rent a car (which will save a lot) and get out of the city.

Depending on what you might want to do/see, find an area that is close to those things and stay there. There is the NE (Rio Grande, Luquillo, Fajardo or Ceiba), or the NW (Rincon area) that are both loaded with things to do and are more small town, beach town, mountains and local then SJ.

Where ever you decide to stay, with kids, I would look at condos, villas, or vacation rentals so that you have extra room and a kitchen.

I have stayed at the Caribe Hilton, El San Juan, Embassy Suites (Dorado) and a vacation condo rental in Luquillo. I liked the Luquillo experience the best since it gave you the ability to get more of the Puerto Rico experience. The extra space (and in-condo laundry facilities) was great with children along.

Next trip it will be vacation rental in the NW in conjunction with a return to Luquillo,

Archived