Shareholding in Carnival

kloegel

Do you have a scanner? I print my online statement, use a magic marker to black out everything by CCL, my name and such. Then I scan the page and attach it to an email.

Thanks! That's definitely a possibility...simple and effective.

Very timely thread - just booked 2 back-to-back cruises on Princess of 14+ days :-)

I took a look at the pdf you guys linked here (thanks), it has this line: "..anyone cruising on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis are excluded from this offer." Does anyone know what exactly a "reduced-rate" is? Anything that's below their brochure price??

Also, the cruises are in a month, so I understand I can still go ahead, buy the stock now and do the paperwork in time for the cruises to get the OBC?

Thanks for sharing the info here....probably wouldn't even have thought about this if not for this thread.

The reduced rate statement has nothing to do with the price you paid from a discount TA or a special past passenger rate directly from Princess. There are different rates for employees and Travel Agents (at times) and I am pretty sure that is what that pertains to. But it does not mean if you received a discounted price that you don't qualify (we always get a deeply discounted rate from a TA and always qualify for the shareholder credit).

Yes, if you purchase the stock now, you still have time to get the information faxed or emailed over to receive the credit. But just a fair warning, last time I checked (a few days ago) the stock was much higher than it has been. And you have to purchase a minimum 100 shares to receive the credit. Good Luck!

I took a look at the pdf you guys linked here (thanks), it has this line: "..anyone cruising on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis are excluded from this offer." Does anyone know what exactly a "reduced-rate" is? Anything that's below their brochure price??

The reduced rates they are talking about include travel industry employee rates, Princess emplopyee's family rates and other similar rates not available to the general public.

Any advertised Princess rate (or even discounted by a travel agency) is included in the offer.

Thanks a lot for the reply guys!!

And yes, I did check the price - and it went up quite a bit lately. All in all it would be more about a bet on the stock with a bit of "insurance" in the form of OBC should it start to drop ;-) How long do you actually have to hold it (through the cruise?).

I'm still kicking myself that I didnt buy RCL stock in March 2009 when I was actually checking out their program just before taking two Transatlantics with them...now THAT would have been a sweet deal :-D

And yes, I did check the price - and it went up quite a bit lately. All in all it would be more about a bet on the stock with a bit of "insurance" in the form of OBC should it start to drop ;-) How long do you actually have to hold it (through the cruise?).

I'm still kicking myself that I didnt buy RCL stock in March 2009 when I was actually checking out their program just before taking two Transatlantics with them...now THAT would have been a sweet deal :-D

Princess has no way to verify stock ownership other than asking you to provide documentation. Once you have a statement proving ownership, you can sell it. You don't have to own it when you send the request or when you cruise. You just have to have owned it recently enough to satisfy Liza.

Keep in mind that RCL is a lot stricter on giving out those OBC's. They won't combine them with onboard booking OBC's and on a lot of discounted fares, like residency rates. My last 2 requests were turned down. Celebrity, for some reason, isn't as strict even though it's the same parent company and the same office that handles the obc's.

Princess has no way to verify stock ownership other than asking you to provide documentation. Once you have a statement proving ownership, you can sell it. You don't have to own it when you send the request or when you cruise. You just have to have owned it recently enough to satisfy Liza.

Yes, but considering that you would have to pay a commission to purchase the stock then another commission to sell it, that is not a very cost-effective thing to do.

I have used so many Carnival shareholder credits on Holland America and Princess cruises that I think they have already paid for the original cost of the shares. And now the stock is worth about double what I paid for it. :)

Yes, but considering that you would have to pay a commission to purchase the stock then another commission to sell it, that is not a very cost-effective thing to do.

I have used so many Carnival shareholder credits on Holland America and Princess cruises that I think they have already paid for the original cost of the shares. And now the stock is worth about double what I paid for it. :)

I was not advocating buying for the credit & then selling. I was just answering the question posed.

We use a copy of our "Proxy Vote" sheet that we get every spring. That way our TA can take care of it for us and there's no other personal info to have to hide :).

Besides the great OBC the stock is doing well :D!

Actually, mine went up 20% within a month of buying it (earlier this fall). I wish I had done as my husband suggested and bought more. I could have sold the extra, paid for the entire cruise, and had money left over. Hindsight is always........

Please don't get the impression that I'm advocating buying it and turning around and selling it right away; I'm not. But there are certainly times when it would pay (like if you don't plan to cruise again for a while, and the price has gone up).

We are doing a Princess 12-night cruisetour. Obviously the OBC can only be used on the cruise, but is the OBC amount earned for owning stock only based on the # of nights spent on the cruise portion of the trip?

Yes, the OBC is based on the length of the cruise, not the cruisetour.

Congrats!! Now everyone please sell your stock so the price drops again and we can buy ours ;-)

Sorry, we are holding ours so we can continue to get the OBC. We bought about 18 months ago for about 26. So far we have $1,000 OBC with another $1,100 next year.

• 1 year later...

Archived