Best Private tour companies for Crete?

wantocruisemore

I have booked a guide in Crete but he can only take 4 so cant help you with that. But since no one has offered anything else, I have used privateshoretrips.com to book in several other places around Europe and always been pleased. They are an agency but the people they have arranged to guide us in Northern Europe have been stellar. We used them to book a guide in Croatia next month. A friend has also used them in the Med and was pleased. Not cheap but trustworthy and knowledgable. Give them a shot.

----------------

Helen

Thanks.

The only other time I was in Crete we docked on the other side and visited the Palace at Knossos. I have to research some more what sites are a suitable distance from where we dock.

Likely some of the group will want ruins and some want beach/shopping. I have a feeling my 19 yo and her teenage cousins will be "ruined out" by the time we get to Crete. But for my husband, my 21 yo and me, we go for the historical/archeological sites. Not sure about the other 3 adults yet.

• 1 month later...
Thanks.

The only other time I was in Crete we docked on the other side and visited the Palace at Knossos. I have to research some more what sites are a suitable distance from where we dock.

Likely some of the group will want ruins and some want beach/shopping. I have a feeling my 19 yo and her teenage cousins will be "ruined out" by the time we get to Crete. But for my husband, my 21 yo and me, we go for the historical/archeological sites. Not sure about the other 3 adults yet.

This is a bit off-topic but I notice that you have visited the Palace at Knossos. Next October our cruise will be in Aghios Nikolaos and one of the options is to take a 75 minute bus ride to Heraklion and visit the Palace of Knossos. Just wondered what you thought of it. This tour also stops at the village of Arolithos. Thanks for any information. Would also be interested in any private guides.

This is a bit off-topic but I notice that you have visited the Palace at Knossos. Next October our cruise will be in Aghios Nikolaos and one of the options is to take a 75 minute bus ride to Heraklion and visit the Palace of Knossos. Just wondered what you thought of it. This tour also stops at the village of Arolithos. Thanks for any information. Would also be interested in any private guides.

I visited the palace at Knossos years ago and found it to be quite interesting. It was from the Minoan civilization that were from about 4000bc. The people were short since the doorways and bathtubs in the museum were quite small (I remember since I am over 6 ' tall and hand to bend over.

Well I havent used Leftis yet, but I found him from reviews on this board. His taxi only holds 4 but he has arranged a larger vehicle for our group (18) and has been very helpful and communicative. Hope it helps

http://www.greecetravel.com/crete/taxitours/index.html

We contacted leftis and he responded that he can only accomodate 4 persons in his taxi and did not offer to arrange a van for the 10 persons who wanted a tour.

I really enjoyed my time before at Knossos. That was many years ago. I love going to ancient archaelogical excavations so I especially enjoyed the Minoan ones. The wall with the dolphin fresco is very beautiful, the photos do not do justice. If you like ruins that are a little different, then you would like it.

I wish my cruise was going back to that side of the island because I would not hesitate to go again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived