New to Hal from Princess

Tina G

We are eager to start our 14 day cruise on the Westerdam in Feb. We are frequent cruisers on Princess, and have been lured to HAL!

We already know that shore excursions are processed differently. It makes us a bit nervous to make reservations, knowing that they will be charged to our account immediately. What other differences should we expect? Thanks!

I am a Princess fan and we sailed on HAL Noordam in August.

There are three things that we rated HAL higher than Princess - food, beds and the library. The food really is good in all of their venues.

Other than that, everything is very similar. I prefer the beautiful, spacious atrium on The Piazza on Princess ships. We love the International Cafe and Vines, too. Princess ships feel more open.

We had always heard about the wonderful service on HAL, but for us, we did not think it was anything special. We have always had exceptional service, room stewards, etc. on Princess.

I am glad we tried HAL and would sail on HAL again if the itinerary and price are right.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm another Princess cruiser who recently returned from the Westerdam, after one previous HAL cruise about 8 years ago.

I loved the size of the ship relative to Princess' large ships (which are the ones I've sailed on in recent years), and also loved the feel and decor of the ship. I agree with the previous poster that the beds are better on HAL and the library (and Crows Nest next to it) are very pleasant spots.

I found the food in the MDR about the same between HAL and Princess; I rate HAL's buffet food better, but the layout, with stations spaced so widely (and no tray) did not make it conducive to getting one's meal in a single trip.

Unlike the other poster, I did think the service was a notch above what I've experienced recently on Princess -- perhaps because there were fewer passengers on a smaller ship, or perhaps the staff ratio per person is higher? It always seemed like service was available (but not intrusive), prompt, and delivered with a real smile.

The only thing I really missed was the greater variety of evening entertainment choices on Princess. A couple of nights I actually found myself renting a DVD and watching it in my room -- not something I'd have thought I'd be doing on a cruise, where I'm used to being out and about at night. It wasn't a big deal on this cruise, which was very port intensive during the day (Eastern Med, Israel, and Egypt). But it might give me pause on a cruise with more sea days or more relaxing ports.

Overall, I felt everything on Westerdam was in beautiful condition. My bathroom (where walls and floors can often show some wear and tear) looked brand new. Crew were out in full force keeping things ship-shape at all hours.

If HAL would just add a TEENY bit more evening entertainment -- maybe a late night comedy show? -- and one or two more activities on sea days, it would truly be my line of choice!

In general, HAL has larger staterooms for comparable 'types'... and the showers are bigger (as you probably know, it'd be difficult to find smaller showers than on Princess), so you won't be constantly 'molested' by the curtain... LOL.

Bill B's post reminded me of why I've never cruised on Princess - something HAL does differently.

On every ship, in every category, there are a few cabins which accommodate 3 adults in lower beds. Bed #3 is a sofa where the seat and back fold together, then flat, to make a comfortable bed. No climbing into an upper berth.

Most people travel as couples, and are never aware of this difference. I no longer need threesome cabins, so may now be able to experience Princess.

Tina G, that info probably isn't useful to you. Maybe in future?

I'm another Princess cruiser who recently returned from the Westerdam, after one previous HAL cruise about 8 years ago.

I loved the size of the ship relative to Princess' large ships (which are the ones I've sailed on in recent years), and also loved the feel and decor of the ship. I agree with the previous poster that the beds are better on HAL and the library (and Crows Nest next to it) are very pleasant spots.

I found the food in the MDR about the same between HAL and Princess; I rate HAL's buffet food better, but the layout, with stations spaced so widely (and no tray) did not make it conducive to getting one's meal in a single trip.

Unlike the other poster, I did think the service was a notch above what I've experienced recently on Princess -- perhaps because there were fewer passengers on a smaller ship, or perhaps the staff ratio per person is higher? It always seemed like service was available (but not intrusive), prompt, and delivered with a real smile.

The only thing I really missed was the greater variety of evening entertainment choices on Princess. A couple of nights I actually found myself renting a DVD and watching it in my room -- not something I'd have thought I'd be doing on a cruise, where I'm used to being out and about at night. It wasn't a big deal on this cruise, which was very port intensive during the day (Eastern Med, Israel, and Egypt). But it might give me pause on a cruise with more sea days or more relaxing ports.

Overall, I felt everything on Westerdam was in beautiful condition. My bathroom (where walls and floors can often show some wear and tear) looked brand new. Crew were out in full force keeping things ship-shape at all hours.

If HAL would just add a TEENY bit more evening entertainment -- maybe a late night comedy show? -- and one or two more activities on sea days, it would truly be my line of choice!

But there are no trays on Princess either, are there? Just one "large, oval platter" as we have already been informed by a HAL loyalist here on CC, (who has cruised with Princess)!:)

But there are no trays on Princess either, are there? Just one "large, oval platter" as we have already been informed by a HAL loyalist here on CC, (who has cruised with Princess)!:)

Yes, but that large platter, and the fact that the stations are closer together, make it easier to get everything at the same time without multiple trips. At least in my experience.

We did our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam this past spring after recently sailing a lot of Princess cruises. I think you'll find HAL to be a pleasant experience after Princess. No line is perfect but HAL is very nice.

I personally think the food is a cut above Princess', especially better food quality and more selection. Entertainment, particularly in the evenings, is noticeably weaker, both in terms of options and production shows. The specialty acts (including Joel Mason, Elton John impersonator), were a pleasant surprise and I enjoyed all of those shows. The sidewalks do roll up at 10pm or so (and this was a Spring Break cruise), so if you're a night owl, you might be a little disappointed. The beds are a dream on HAL compared to Princess - you won't need to ask for an egg crate here! You'll also find the ships don't feel as crowded as Princess' do: the passenger space ratio is much more friendly. You won't need to arrive 30min before a show to get a seat or fight the Horizon Court crowds, that's for sure. I rarely felt crowded at peak times on HAL, which sometimes happens on Princess.

Keep reading the HAL boards and you'll pick up a lot of great tips about the line. Have great cruise!

Infi, I hope we are of one mind with you re: our upcoming (first) HAL cruise as we re: Celebrity vs. Princess. Sounds like you really enjoyed your cruise. Also, on another thread, I just saw your Westerdam menus. Now, you know we like Princess, but honestly, those food choices on HAL were amazing. I hope we have the same menus on the Maasdam!! Despite being Elite on Princess and X and Diamond on RC, we can't wait to give up our perks and try something new on HAL.

We have sailed Princess 3 times and HAL twice (last was on the Westerdam). I do think that the evening entertainment is much better on Princess, but I found the daytime activities to be a lot better on HAL, especially the culinary center. You can get espresso or cappuccino free in HAL's MDR which I take full advantage of. HAL's cabins are much more comfortable, beds, bathtubs, sofas, amenities are higher quality. I like Princess menus in the MDR better than HAL, but the buffet area on HAL is far superior. Also, the daily tea on HAL is much nicer and seems more elegant. HAL seems to add little touches that we did not experience on Princess; i.e., evening hors· d'oeuvre in the lounge, fun sail away parties with local foods to taste. You can order from a much better menu for room service on HAL including items from the MDR when it is open. Princess room service is much more limited.

Also, Princess' past pax programme (Captain's Circle) has more and better perks than HAL's (Mariner Society)... especially when one reaches the 'upper levels': Platinum & Elite on Princess and 3 & 4 Star on HAL.

I'm an Elite Captain's Circle member on Princess and a 3-star Mariner on HAL. There are pluses and minus' to both cruiselines.

Overall, I think the service on HAL is comparable to Princess. You'll find good, better, great, and occasionally, the not-so-good. The worst, by far, cabin steward I've ever had was on HAL and the best has been on Princess, but generally, they are pretty equal.

Food is very subjective. Yes, the food in the buffet on HAL is better than on Princess because it's freshly made but because of that, you wait for every little thing. Breakfast in the morning if you need to be someplace to meet a tour can be very frustrating and take forever. At lunch, you can wait 10 minutes to have a salad made, another 10 minutes for a sandwich to be made, etc. and because the plates are smallish, you can't put the salad on the same plate as the sandwich so if you want something else or iced tea, you have to go back.

HAL has full breakfast, lunch and dinner room service, which I often used for breakfast. You can ask for the dining room menu be sent to your cabin and you can order anything off it as room service. Kind of like the Ultimate Balcony Dinner without the waiter or the price. The Princess kitchen and room service facilities are not set up to do more than a limited menu, so they will never have what HAL does. The HAL buffet closes up tighter than a drum at 8pm so if you haven't taken everything you might want, such as dessert, maybe some more salad, you have to do so before 8pm. The HAL dinner buffet system is that you order your entree and then get your appetizer, salad, etc. Your entree is then delivered to your table. Once, I ordered chicken as my entree and even though it had been ordered at about 7:15pm, it came at 7:55. It was very pink in the middle and uncooked so I tried taking it back to be cooked some more. Nope. Kitchen is closed. Tough. They were really rude about it.

The HAL cabins are, IMHO, approximately the same size as Princess cabins but they are configured differently. Instead of the large, dressing room-like closet, there are wardrobes which don't have nearly as much storage space. Princess definitely wins on the storage space but you have more "living" space. (There are exceptions such as the Prinsendam closets, which are large and have as much storage as any Princess cabin.) I personally hate the HAL beds as they are way too soft for me, provide little support, and I always get sciatica after a week. I actually prefer the Princess beds.

And, of course, the Princess Platinum and Elite benefits are still better than HAL's revamped Mariner program.

HAL has some much better itineraries than Princess, and sometimes, the ship they have doing the same itinerary as Princess is much better. For example, I'd already done a "around the Horn" cruise but when a friend suggested going to a Rio to Santiago with Antarctica included, we first looked at the Golden and I felt that ship was WAY too big for some of the ports on my previous cruise, so we booked the Amsterdam. One of the best cruises I've ever taken. Much better cruise and cruising experience.

Out of my top five cruises on any cruiseline, I'd rate three of my HAL cruises up there. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise HAL again, and I am. :)

We are eager to start our 14 day cruise on the Westerdam in Feb. We are frequent cruisers on Princess, and have been lured to HAL!

We already know that shore excursions are processed differently. It makes us a bit nervous to make reservations, knowing that they will be charged to our account immediately. What other differences should we expect? Thanks!

Just clearing up a point - Excursions are not charged to your ship board account. You must use a credit card and pay when you book on HAL.

Archived